PDA

View Full Version : 6800u Fast Writes..

Nedi
10-04-04, 08:41 PM
So fast writes are the reason for freezing up in so many cases, is there any bios files avaible where this is fixed?

Is there anybody who can run 3dmark with fast writes on?

And i dont mean 400/1100mhz users i mean like gw gs 430/1200 and overclockers?

I've like searched every forum and every bios and so on but cant find any solution...

bkswaney
10-04-04, 08:50 PM
I have no problems using FW on.

Unlike ATI's cards most nvidia cards do not have
a problem using it.

I've always had to disable it with ati cards.

You can use rivatuner to disable it.

P1x44r
10-04-04, 08:55 PM
I have no problems using FW on.

Unlike ATI's cards most nvidia cards do not have
a problem using it.

I've always had to disable it with ati cards.

You can use rivatuner to disable it.

It is the other way around for me. I've owned many ATI cards and never had to disable FW to overclock any.

Both, eVGA and BFG 6800 Ultras I have cannot go past 425MHz without freezing in 3DMark unless I disable FW in BIOS.

:lame:

einstein_314
10-04-04, 09:42 PM
No problems here @ 445/1200. And disabling them make no huge difference in performance.

bkswaney
10-04-04, 09:52 PM
It is the other way around for me. I've owned many ATI cards and never had to disable FW to overclock any.

Both, eVGA and BFG 6800 Ultras I have cannot go past 425MHz without freezing in 3DMark unless I disable FW in BIOS.

:lame:

I think it boils down to motherboard-hardware etc.
I've never had an NV card I had to disable FW.
But all my ATI cards I had to.

Some motherboard and videocards I guess
just are not stable with FW on. :bash:

kahloq
10-04-04, 10:04 PM
I have never turned fastwrites off. Actually, I mobo wont let me(havent tried Rivatuner). But anyhow, my 6800U runs 3dmark03/05 just fine with it on and Ive had my card OC'd to 459/1280

bkswaney
10-04-04, 10:17 PM
I have never turned fastwrites off. Actually, I mobo wont let me(havent tried Rivatuner). But anyhow, my 6800U runs 3dmark03/05 just fine with it on and Ive had my card OC'd to 459/1280

WOW thats a nice overclock. :)

My GT seems to only like a 400 core.
I'm running my memory at 1100 but it can go higher.
But it's not really needed right now.
400/1100 is d@mn fast on any game out. ;)

At least this new BFG GT is better than the first one I had.
It would not OC at all.

I'm most happy running ultra speeds at a GT price. "lol" :D
The key to the ultra clocking higher is the dual power
connection.
It's a must for these power hungery cards.

Nedi
10-05-04, 05:25 PM
Ok, someone just made about same kind of thread and it seems i've missed the point that this problem only occurs in nforce 3 motherboards.

So is here anybody with nforce3 chipset who can use fast writes without those freezes?

I'm on epox 8kda3+ nforce 3 250gb chipset. Any drivers or patches? Anybody?

bkswaney
10-05-04, 06:20 PM
Ok, someone just made about same kind of thread and it seems i've missed the point that this problem only occurs in nforce 3 motherboards.

So is here anybody with nforce3 chipset who can use fast writes without those freezes?

I'm on epox 8kda3+ nforce 3 250gb chipset. Any drivers or patches? Anybody?

This is the main reason I moved away from AMD cpu's
after years of using them.
I want a stable rig with good drivers. :)

Templar
10-05-04, 07:30 PM
This is the main reason I moved away from AMD cpu's
after years of using them.
I want a stable rig with good drivers. :)

That myth has been laid to rest a few years back.

Since the Athlon intro all my Athlon rigs have been and still are more stable then my Intel rigs, last one was a 3GHz some time back.

FW works on my rig and always has, see sig.

Simon

-=DVS=-
10-05-04, 07:36 PM
I noticed FastWrites couse problems if you have Nvidia 250 series chipset , no problem with Via , possibly Intel to. Then again might be specific motherboard problem.
Corrected typos

bkswaney
10-05-04, 09:19 PM
That myth has been laid to rest a few years back.

Since the Athlon intro all my Athlon rigs have been and still are more stable then my Intel rigs, last one was a 3GHz some time back.

FW works on my rig and always has, see sig.

Simon

hahaha :rofl:

Keep thinking that. "lol" ;)

I've been building rigs for over 10 years now
and I'll be first to say Intel is still the most stable
rigs out there.

Now granted AMD has come a long way since the K6 days
they still lack in many areas.
I've built the lastest AMD rigs and I still think they lack
in that department.
My last rig was a 2800+.
I'm most happy with my rig now. :)

OafyC
10-06-04, 01:31 AM
On my GT I turned both fastwrites and side band addressing off and that got rid of the stutters and actually improved performance. I have a Nforce 3 250 MB. I also turned off the NV/ATI speedup option in my mobo bios, since I can do my own overclocking. I don't know if one of those things or a combination did it, but I no longer have any stuttering. Hopefully my Ultra won't have any, I just upgraded to one, and am stuck with a Geforce 4 440MX until it gets here lol.

-=DVS=-
10-06-04, 01:44 AM
On my GT I turned both fastwrites and side band addressing off and that got rid of the stutters and actually improved performance. I have a Nforce 3 250 MB. I also turned off the NV/ATI speedup option in my mobo bios, since I can do my own overclocking. I don't know if one of those things or a combination did it, but I no longer have any stuttering. Hopefully my Ultra won't have any, I just upgraded to one, and am stuck with a Geforce 4 440MX until it gets here lol.

You can leave side band addressing ON , its not hurting anyone ;)

bkswaney
10-06-04, 01:45 AM

If u had a GT why on earth did u order a ultra?
Most all GT's will run ultra speeds no problem.
Even my hot ass running BFG runs ultra speeds.

Well unless u r trying to OC beyond 450mhz core.
But I do not see many 6800's getting much over 450 core
without super cooling.

Hellion
10-06-04, 03:24 AM
but which is better for performance? like 3dmark03 o5 o1 so on,fast writes?
on or off

myshkinbob
10-06-04, 07:11 AM
The forum has a search button you know. :)

6800 fast writes benchmarked (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36203)

crainger
10-06-04, 07:59 AM
I have had both Nvidia and ATi cards and I have had to disable fastwrites or my colours are all screwed up, kinda like they were inverted or something... At first I though it was just the current motherboard(Soltek SocketA, but both cards(9800XT and a Ti4200) did it on the new motherboard(Abit IS7). So I have always had Fastwrites off. However when I got my Geforce 6800GT I had no probs, but I turned it off just incase :)

I spent days searching the web to see what was going on, but found nothing. Am I the only one who has had messed up colours due to fastwrites??

Renzo
10-06-04, 08:42 AM
No problems here @ 445/1200. And disabling them make no huge difference in performance.
I couldn't help noticing your system from the signature (mostly Athlon64 3500+ S939 @ 2.42 Ghz and Asus A8V Deluxe). Any good? I'm getting those same parts tomorrow (or at least I should be getting them) and I was wondering how easily the cpu can do 2,4GHz, to be more precise how much voltage is required. The cpu I'm getting is boxed so I might buy some better one later in the future if there's any need for it.

nIghtorius
10-06-04, 09:00 AM
I think the fast-writes problem is the combination of mainboard and the paired graphicscard. for example. my Radeon 9800 Pro doesn't have any problems with FW enabled on my mainboard. but on someone elses board (the same card) causes terrible problems when an nVidia card on that board runs fine with FW on.

OWA
10-06-04, 09:08 AM
Fastwrites never seem to make a difference for me with the 6800U, 6800GT or X800 Pro so I just leave them on.

I can complete 3DMark with them on with the 6800U at 425/1200. Actually, I can complete 3Dmark with the 6800U at like 440/1200 or so but in general, I can't overclock much past 425 and have Doom 3 work. I tried various things, including disabling fastwrites, but D3 just doesn't like it when I go much past 425 on the core.