PDA

View Full Version : Refitting a BFG 6800 heatsink: change thermal pads?

ihiktacos
10-04-04, 10:17 PM
I tried overclocking my BFG 6800 and noticed the temperatures were really high and some posts here caught my eye and I took the heatsink off (see pic 1). Well, the stuff on the cpu was horrible to get rid of (kind of like chewing gum, who knows why they choose that :/), but that worked out fine in the end. I decided to leave the thermal pads for the memory on there because of the fact that without them, I suspect there might be a gap.

In pic 2 you see the Arctic Silver 5 applied to the gpu and memory.
Everything worked fine and the core went down quite a bit (5 degrees when idle, 10 under load). However, my memory is still very limited in terms of overclocking. I cannot get it past 800 Mhz, which is faster than stock (700), however, it is 2.2 Hynix memory and I thought I could possibly get that up higher (850+). The core now is overclocked from 325 to about 420 without a problem. So my thinking is now that I might gain something by getting rid of those stock thermal pads. What do you guys reckon?

I know I could possibly get just a new heatsink/fan (NV5), but I wanted to check this first.

bkswaney
10-04-04, 10:28 PM
Nice post and pics. :)

Glad to hear it dropped your temps.
I had thought about doing this to my BFG GT.
It looks like that d@mn cooler would work better
than what it does.

Like right now my core is sitting here idle at 66c. :(
Ambient temp is 44c.
I've seen 95c under RTHDRIBL after about 30min of load.

I have extra case fans in my case now and put a
60mm fan blowing over the card. It did not help any. :lame: :bash:

ihiktacos
10-04-04, 10:44 PM
Thanks,

mine too idled around 65, dropped to around 57, which I still think is kind of high due to the not-so-good BFG stock design. But yeah, just redoing the gpu seems to make a noticable difference.

bkswaney
10-04-04, 10:48 PM
Thanks,

mine too idled around 65, dropped to around 57, which I still think is kind of high due to the not-so-good BFG stock design. But yeah, just redoing the gpu seems to make a noticable difference.

I'm going to get a better cooler for mine.
The NV5 looks nice but I've been hearing
from some who have them that they could
do a better job cooling. I saw one post
where a guy put a bigger fan on one. "lol"
He sounds like me. ;)

What is your max temps reaching now?

I wonder if some how adding a nice big fan
to the BFG heatsink would help any?
Thoughts anyone??

ihiktacos
10-05-04, 07:03 AM
My max temps were a little over 80 now after the reseating of the heatsink. Actually I also increased the voltage now to 1.5 and the max then is around 89 using Rthdribl (still better than what it was before with 1.4 V).

The first time after I reseated the heatsink the temps skyrocketed up to 115 degrees (!), turns out that the AS5 I put on was perhaps a bit too thin and wasn't making contact (again, those blasted thermal pads were probably the cause of this). I added some AS5 and it all worked fine. Temperatures seemed to already have dropped 2-3 degrees since I initially applied it because the AS5 is supposed to take awhile to get up to normal performance.

bkswaney
10-06-04, 12:42 AM
I saw 96 tonight on my card running RTHDRIBL.
That's way to hot for me.
Even after putting in an extra rear case fan
and putting a 60mm blowing on it
nothing seems to help.

Both new BFG's I've had runs the same temps
when running rthdribl with 4xAA and 8xAF for
30 or more min in a window watching
the temp meter. I open the window
as big as I can get it and still see my temp
meter in the coner of the screen.

I feel sure after seeing 2 cards do the same thing
even with the side off my pc and a fan on it
all these BFG GT's run this hot.

I'm for sure gong to change my cooler.
The factory really does sux.

bkswaney
10-06-04, 12:44 AM
BTW... does anything make a cooler to fit the 6800?
Well, other than the NV5??