PDA

View Full Version : Wait for NV35 - may be a good idea

Pages : [1] 2 3

demonized
11-09-02, 05:22 AM
Ive been thinking lately if i should wait for nv35 and skipped nv30. Its like when i skipped the geforce 3 cause i had a feeling something much better is coming, and something did. Evryone got excited when the geforce 3 was introduced, It has the pixel and vertex shaders. then the geforce 4 came out which is much faster.
Im thinking of waiting for the NV35 cause i think there's features that Nvidia wants to add on the NV30 but cant cause its too late cause they need to release a card right away.

Philibob
11-09-02, 06:04 AM
I'm hoping NV35 isn't out right at the end of next year.
I won't have enough to but NV30 now :( and I don't want to buy that just before NV35 comes out.
Oh well, have to put up with my GF2 MX for another year :eek:

Uttar
11-09-02, 07:00 AM
If you wait for the NV35, you could just as well wait for the NV40 since that will be released about 6 months after the NV35.
Or wait, you could wait for the NV45 since it'll only release 1 year after the NV40.

Of course, you could always wait because something better will come out. However, something better will ALWAYS come out. So I fail to understand the logic in those arguments...

Uttar

Philibob
11-09-02, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
If you wait for the NV35, you could just as well wait for the NV40 since that will be released about 6 months after the NV35.
Or wait, you could wait for the NV45 since it'll only release 1 year after the NV40.

Of course, you could always wait because something better will come out. However, something better will ALWAYS come out. So I fail to understand the logic in those arguments...

Uttar
I'd say that with what demonized said but the only reason I'm not buying NV30 is because I won't have enough money at the time. I don't upgrade often (as you can probably tell from my last post :o ) so I'll be going for the fastest one. I don't really want to buy NV30 the month before NV35 is announced :)

shifty250
11-09-02, 08:50 AM
like some said, there will always be nv40, nv45 etc.

tieros
11-09-02, 09:57 AM
Why not wait until the specs are released before deciding?

If the NV30 has as many compromises as the 9700, I'll be waiting, too.

Uttar
11-09-02, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by tieros
Why not wait until the specs are released before deciding?

If the NV30 has as many compromises as the 9700, I'll be waiting, too.

"compromises"???

Uttar

tieros
11-09-02, 11:44 AM
To get the R300 out on .15 technology in the timeframe they wanted, at the price point they wanted, they had to make some compromises, which is completely understandable.

Stuff like one TMU per pipe, not having 128-bit FP precision end-to-end, not using DDR-II even though the chipset supports it, releasing it before DX9 was even available, and slapping yet another big, loud cooling fan on it.

I know that the NV30 will have its own list of shortcomings as well. It is simply reality rearing its ugly head :D nVidia had an extra 4-6 months to sand off the ugly bits. If they took advantage of the time, I'll be very happy. If not, I'll be waiting for the R350/NV35 wave to decide.

thcdru2k
11-09-02, 12:42 PM
i don't think we can make a decision to the nv30 actually comes out. the way nvidia is hyping this thing and saying we won't be disappointed makes me think the nv30 will be quite a bit faster than a r9700. possibly enough to warrant a purchase.

sbp
11-09-02, 04:51 PM
About skipping the NV30 and waiting for the followup product-I've thought the same thing myself. It depends on how well this GeForce 4 Ti4600 performs with next year games.

As several people have pointed out in other threads, Nvidia appears to be on an 18 month schedule now. So you may be waiting for a higher clocked version of the NV30 {ala GeForce 3 Ti500}.

ReDeeMeR
11-09-02, 06:33 PM
The tech is going more and more complex, the R&D and development time will increase. You can ofcourse wait years and years for what? till nv30 will get cheaper? By that time it will be obsolete and wont be able to enpower the games of that time and so on....

If you dont have the money then it's a different talk, your not really waiting, you just dont have money to buy it :)

StealthHawk
11-09-02, 07:02 PM
well, i think a lot of people were disappointed in the GF3. it wasn't really all that faster than a GF2Ultra until you hit high resolutions with 32bit color. and its FSAA might have been the fastest on the block, but it still took a hefty performance hit.

compare that to the R9700Pro, a new generation card that can easily build up a substantial lead with FSAA and AF turned on over the GF4 at even normal resolutions like 1024.

of course, i feel NV30 will have similar gains over a GF4 that would make it a nice purchase.

demonized
11-09-02, 11:46 PM
I have the money i just dont wanna waste it.

Matthyahuw
11-10-02, 12:22 AM
I'm gonna wait till the NV50, I heard it's gonna be 7x the performance of the NV30, so I'm just gonna hang out 'til then...

Uttar
11-10-02, 01:28 AM
Well, if you really think the NV30 costs too much, wait for a derivate. They'll likely release a higher-performing NV30 before the NV35 to compete with ATI's R350.

Uttar

GPSnoopy
11-10-02, 05:09 PM
I understand demonized point of view.

Personnaly I've always bought second generation hardware. (TNT2, GeForce 2).
The thing is that they feel more finished, as well as drivers that had the time to mature.

But anyway, you can't go wrong with NVIDIA chipset (unless it's a Vanta :p).
And for your own frustration it'll be obsolete a few months after you buy it.

Cons
11-11-02, 02:17 AM
there will always be something better. if u ask me, it depends on what u have right now. if u have gf4(or 3 maybe), then i dont htink its wise to get nv30. coz they'll be something new in a few months time..maybe. my point is, its not practical to buy every new product. an interval of 1 p[roduct would be good. but if u have the money why not. make it ur collction,lol. me,i cant afford nv30, so im waiting for nv30 and hoping that it will lower gf4 somehow.i still have to save money though. were kinda poor :(. so if u have a good card, skip a generation or two then get one.

Fotis
11-11-02, 03:54 AM
Can't wait for nv35 because I only have a geforce2ti.:(
If nv30 becomes available this year and is faster than radeon 9700 I'll buy it.:D

nutball
11-11-02, 04:12 AM
Chipsets aren't made osbolete by chipsets. Chipsets are made obsolete by software.

NV35 will not make NV30 obsolete. Doom 5 might.

A chipset becomes obsolete when it can no longer play the majority of games on the market. That means that currently GF2 is edging towards obsolescence, GF3/4 are just fine thanks. Don't forget Doom 3 is targetted at GF3-class hardware, hasn't even been launched yet!

You just have to be slightly less precious about things. OK, my GF3 won't play UT2003 at 1600x1200x32 at 4x FSAA and 8xaniso at 120 fps. I don't care! It still plays it at the resolutions the game was designed for!

Waiting for NV35 is a good decision in that when it comes out NV30s will drop in price, the drivers will be more stable, any hardware bugs will have been sorted, etc., etc., etc.

StealthHawk
11-11-02, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by nutball
Chipsets aren't made osbolete by chipsets. Chipsets are made obsolete by software.

i disagree. while your logic is definitely sound, and i understand what you are saying, i don't think that is the reality. chipsets can make other chipsets obsolete simply by raising the expectations of performance and eye candy. this is essentially what software does, except on the hardware level the user has some control over it.

R9700Pro totally blows GF4 out of the water when using FSAA and/or AF for example. it allows people to switch on 4x FSAA and 16x AF and pretty much forget about the settings. no more mixing and matching depending on what game you play. whereas on my GF3 i can crank AF and FSAA in old games like CS, but i don't dare turn things that high when playing newer games. it gets annoying to have to switch things on and off on a per-game basis.

once we get to the point where AF and FSAA are basically ubiquitous for all resolutions in all but the newest games, then you might have a point about games being the only truly defining point in what graphics card should be used.

stncttr908
11-11-02, 06:55 AM
I just got "The Thing" and it runs pretty good on my GF2MX/400 and PIII 600E. Sure, it can't run Doom 3, but I can play most games decently. Now, if I can get that kind of length out of the NV30, it will be worth it to me. But that's just my $0.02 personally.

|JuiceZ|
11-11-02, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
I'm gonna wait till the NV50, I heard it's gonna be 7x the performance of the NV30, so I'm just gonna hang out 'til then...

LOL! Yea...

Since the geforce I've actually looked more towards the followup or 2nd gen of a product release rather than the intial one, sure its fun to have the latest/greatest but I'd rather invest in a solid product thats already had all the bugs worked out. Besides, even if I had the money I wouldn't buy the card just to say I have it, thats such a waste, why not wait to see if yer current hardware can hold up b4 assuming it won't ;)

AngelGraves13
11-11-02, 03:30 PM
I wait for every other graphics card. Like when the 3 came out I had a 2 and waited till the 4. Now I'll skip the Nv30 and get the NV35 since it'll be a more robust chip and will really hammer down Nvidia as the leader in 3D chipsets.

vvolkman
11-11-02, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by demonized
Ive been thinking lately if i should wait for nv35 and skipped nv30. Its like when i skipped the geforce 3 cause i had a feeling something much better is coming, and something did. Evryone got excited when the geforce 3 was introduced, It has the pixel and vertex shaders. then the geforce 4 came out which is much faster.
Im thinking of waiting for the NV35 cause i think there's features that Nvidia wants to add on the NV30 but cant cause its too late cause they need to release a card right away.

The sweet spot is about 120 days after a product release, you see the street prices come down about 25% always. Anybody remember those 440MX cards debuting at $190 which are now near $100?

Of course if money is primary, you can always haunt the auctions at eBay, get a used card that somebody HAD to buy for an evaluation and then must get rid of, etc.

ben6
11-11-02, 06:09 PM
Me, I wait till a game like Doom3 comes out that requires more power than i currently have. It sounds cheesy, but anyone with a Geforce3 level product can play any game currently out. Sure there's compromises on performance and features , but you can play those games well without any problem. I know , you could make a case for UT2003 requiring more than a Geforce3/8500 LE level, but you can still play that game enjoyably with one.

Of course , I cheat :D I don't have to guess whether I'll get one of ATI's latest and greatest (I do with Nvidia but that's another story)