PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with BFG 6800GT on Sims2?

bluerains
10-04-04, 10:38 PM
I had been using ATI for a long time now. The last one I had was 9800Pro. I was fairly happy with it. I ran very smooth on most of the game. Now since the hype of Geforce 6800, I thoght I would give it a shot (especially the price and performance, comparing with ATI X800, on many reviews). And I thought any of the 6800 series should beat 9800Pro on all of the games since is a newer architecture and more pipelines. So I went and got a BFG 6800 OC. I first game I tried was the SIMS 2. I was SHOCKED! It was SLOOOOW comparing to 9800Pro. The frame rate was almost unplayable when there are multiple people on the screen. So I thought maybe something is wrong? (I got Pentium 4 3.0G HT and 1GB RAM) I went to the store and exchanged for BFG 6800GT OC 256MB. And I tested, is much better. But comparing to the 9800Pro, is still not as good. But the price is more than double of 9800Pro. Although I have not try other games (DOOM 3 and FAR Cry). But anybody have the same problem? I really hate to feel like ripped off by Nvidia.... Something cost more than double and a technology suppose to be way better than 9800Pro (double of pipeline, 8 vs 16), but yet the performance waaaayyy off on Sims 2?? Any fixes?

saturnotaku
10-04-04, 10:40 PM
Standard operating procedure questions: Did you do a clean format when switching between NVIDIA and ATI? Which driver version are you using for the 6800? Did you disable AGP Fast Writes after installing the 6800? Is vertical sync on or off? Have you enabled anti-aliasing and/or anisotropic filtering?

mikedep333
10-04-04, 10:41 PM
You need to give us more info. What video drivers are you using? Do you have your chipset drivers installed? Are you sure this isn't a known bug with the game?

bkswaney
10-04-04, 10:43 PM
I had been using ATI for a long time now. The last one I had was 9800Pro. I was fairly happy with it. I ran very smooth on most of the game. Now since the hype of Geforce 6800, I thoght I would give it a shot (especially the price and performance, comparing with ATI X800, on many reviews). And I thought any of the 6800 series should beat 9800Pro on all of the games since is a newer architecture and more pipelines. So I went and got a BFG 6800 OC. I first game I tried was the SIMS 2. I was SHOCKED! It was SLOOOOW comparing to 9800Pro. The frame rate was almost unplayable when there are multiple people on the screen. So I thought maybe something is wrong? (I got Pentium 4 3.0G HT and 1GB RAM) I went to the store and exchanged for BFG 6800GT OC 256MB. And I tested, is much better. But comparing to the 9800Pro, is still not as good. But the price is more than double of 9800Pro. Although I have not try other games (DOOM 3 and FAR Cry). But anybody have the same problem? I really hate to feel like ripped off by Nvidia.... Something cost more than double and a technology suppose to be way better than 9800Pro (double of pipeline, 8 vs 16), but yet the performance waaaayyy off on Sims 2?? Any fixes?

The 6800GT is 2x or 3x more card than a 9800.
I had a Asus 9800Pro-256 before this one.

Now as for as sims goes it most likly a driver problem.
Send BFG's tech support an email. They are the best. :)

Just wait till you start playing D3/FC and HL2.
I'm a big unreal fan and boy this 6800 is sweet
playing it. :D :D :D
Download the D3 demo and try it. You will fall in love. :rofl: :drooling:

bluerains
10-04-04, 10:50 PM
I just downloaded the 61.77 from nvidia web site. I used the default global setting on the driver. I think most of the parameter were "application controlled". Thank you guys for the helpful info. But anything I should look out for? Should I turn off the "fast write" (if I remember correctly, that's a feature of the motherboard right?)

bkswaney
10-04-04, 10:52 PM
I just downloaded the 61.77 from nvidia web site. I used the default global setting on the driver. I think most of the parameter were "application controlled". Thank you guys for the helpful info. But anything I should look out for? Should I turn off the "fast write" (if I remember correctly, that's a feature of the motherboard right?)

Leave them on unless you have any stablity problems.
They really help performance.

Also you might try these drivers... http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_66.81.html

Dachshund
10-05-04, 01:00 AM
He is not the only one with this problem.. I have a 9700pro and i just bought a evga gt.. My sims 2 plays like crap.. I did a clean install and everything. Still plays really bad.. Way worse than my 9700pro.. I took the gt out and slaped the pro back in without a clean install and the sims 2 plays great.. I'm thinking about getting rid of the gt and just using the pro.. Not much of a performance increase at all.. NOt in any of my games..

bkswaney
10-05-04, 01:15 AM
He is not the only one with this problem.. I have a 9700pro and i just bought a evga gt.. My sims 2 plays like crap.. I did a clean install and everything. Still plays really bad.. Way worse than my 9700pro.. I took the gt out and slaped the pro back in without a clean install and the sims 2 plays great.. I'm thinking about getting rid of the gt and just using the pro.. Not much of a performance increase at all.. NOt in any of my games..

If that is the case u have a big problem.
Now granted I do not play sims but
my GT kicks the crap out of my 9800-256
in most any game I've tried.

I would say it's a driver problem with sims.
This needs to be reported to Nvidia
so they can fix it.

FlowmotioN
10-05-04, 02:29 AM
I have a BFG 6800 GT OC running at 430\1200, a P4 3.1Ghz, and 1gig ram. Sims 2 is pretty ok for me unless I go to a community lot, then its like playing in sirup! :retard:

I just upgraded from a Radeon 9700pro myself, and I am pretty sure that card would run sims 2 much better as well.

However, my new 6800 card totally annihilates the old ATI card on every other game I have. I am pretty sure that this problem with sims 2 is just a software problem. You should try and update your game and your gfx drivers, if that does not work give the Sims 2 forums a try or something.

Chippy
10-05-04, 03:27 AM
Standard operating procedure questions: Did you do a clean format when switching between NVIDIA and ATI?

I hope he didn't. It would have been completely unnecessary and a waste of his time.

Clean installs after motherboard changes? Probably.

Clean installs after videocard change? Over the top.

Clean install after a new mouse?

Chip.

K007
10-05-04, 03:50 AM
Do what i did, go to nvidia panel, set AA to 4x, AF to 8x, and volla its smooth as butter with a hot butter knife :D

saturnotaku
10-05-04, 05:57 AM
I hope he didn't. It would have been completely unnecessary and a waste of his time.

How do you know? A manual cleaning of the registry isn't a 100% catch-all solution.

Chippy
10-05-04, 07:42 AM
How do you know? A manual cleaning of the registry isn't a 100% catch-all solution.

I suppose in an ideal world you would start with a clean XP install every time you changed anything. But it depends on your circumstances. If you actually *use* your PC to do serious stuff, the prospect of a reinstall can be more than daunting.

Every time I decide I need to do a clean install, it takes *days* to do and literally several weeks before everything is completely back to where I want it. Its not a trivial task by any means.

So to say you must do a clean install before changing video cards needs to be backed up with real evidence that this is what you *must* do. And there is no such evidence. 99.9% of people will change video cards without doing a reinstall and have no problems at all.

Far better advice is simply to make sure you follow the (many) instructions you can find on how to swap one card for another, and pay particular attention to cleaning out all the old registry entries and system files.

A clean install should be your last resort if all else fails, imho.

Chip

Uken
10-05-04, 08:29 AM
Same problem here.. play the game like a crap soo slow on my GT, just wait for the patch ...maybe there is a bug on their first release of sims2.

crainger
10-05-04, 08:48 AM
Have you tried the new beta 66.81 drivers or using the blitting fix if you want to stick with older drivers. Both these solutions worked wonders with my copy of the sims 2. Also I had alot of problems if I set the AA manually and didn't set it to Application controlled. I just used the ingame options to set that.

JRd1st
10-05-04, 08:53 AM
I switched from an ATI to nVidia and had no problems. Just use DriverCleaner 3.3 and follow the directions carefully between drivers. Be sure to use the Cab Cleaning tool feature of DC 3.3, also.

Also, if you have problems with games, particularly after an ATI to nVidia switch, delete the game's config file and let the game create a new one with your new settings.

A "clean install" is the very last thing I would do. Besides, I use Norton Ghost to keep 2 complete backups of my system. Whenever my system seems to be working particularly well, I make a backup.

Jocomp10
10-05-04, 02:25 PM
Exactly how many fps are you getting in the sims 2? I only get about 20 no matter what I set the graphics too so it must be some kind of glitch with 6800s.

crainger
10-05-04, 07:46 PM
Exactly how many fps are you getting in the sims 2? I only get about 20 no matter what I set the graphics too so it must be some kind of glitch with 6800s.

I don't think its a glitch with 6800s coz I'm easily getting 60+ at 1280*1024 4AA 16AF... I'll download FRAPS and get some official numbers :cool2:

anzak
10-05-04, 08:19 PM
Go ahead and get rid of your GT over the Sims 2. It's not much faster than your old Radeon 9700 anyways. :rolleyes: I am sorry but that comment is still burning me up. Who would ditch a video card over one game which obviously has an issue with and should be fixed soon. nVidia is not going to let a AAA title like the Sims 2 run like crap. This thing about the GT not being much faster than a Radeon 9700 is total crap. Maybe at 1024x768 with no AA or AF but who would play at throughs setting when you have a powerful card like the 6800GT?

coldpower27
10-05-04, 08:30 PM
It's problably related as a problem with the game itself, since they haven't had that much time to test Sims 2 on the 6800 Series yet. Give them some time to release a patch for this game and let nvidia do their parts of releasing a new driver revision as well.

Ludic
10-05-04, 10:21 PM
This reminds me of the dual monitor bug. Nvidia will hopefully fix it soon.