PDA

View Full Version : To keep the thermal pads or not w/ NV5 silencer

Pages : [1] 2

NEODARK
10-05-04, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post here :)

I got my latest, a BFG 6800GT OC, the one that comes with the new dual fan design w/blue leds

I been running at ultra speeds (400/1.1) with no problems, my temps are:

55 idle/75 load

the card is totally stock rightnow besides the O/C, however I decided to get an NV Silencer5 (NV5)

by looking at some of your temps and others I saw my load tems were a bit high at load (have an awesome airflow in my case) but I want to keep it cool. I even have a vantec fan card 2 slots below the 6800 but this stock HSF is dumping a ton of hot air in my case

Now, I have a question about the thermal pads that are on the HSF covering the memory...

when you remove the HSF and apply AS5, should I remove the thermal pads or leave them in place for when I place the NV5? or I need a thick wad of AS5 on the ram to make sure it makes contact with HSF?

thanks, rig is on my sig :)

P1x44r
10-05-04, 09:55 AM
From my experience PCI fans were increasing my GPU temps. Try removing your Vantec and tell me if you see any difference. ;)

By the way, I used to remove thermal pads from ATI cards getting higher memory overclocks.

NEODARK
10-05-04, 09:57 AM
oh hey Acid, didnt know you were around here :)

the NV5 isnt installed yet, just the stock HSF, I'll try removing the fancard and looking at the temps to see if they improve

cant wait for the NV5 though :)

tobywong
10-05-04, 10:02 AM
Take those thermal pads off!

They are much less efficient at heat transfer than your AS5.

And yes, make sure you have just enough thermal compound to ensure good contact on core & ram without overdoing it and creating a sloppy mess.

NEODARK
10-05-04, 10:22 AM
rice grain size drop per ram chip good enough right, also do you guys spread the AS5 or let the HSF do it?

Schumi4ever
10-05-04, 10:53 AM
Spread it. And my experience with the nv silencer 5 on my gt was that you do NOT want a very thin layer. Use a moderate amount (but offcourse, dont overdo it ;))

Best is to put a layer, put the heatsink on it and screw it down and then unscrew to see whether there is a good print from the core on the copper.

jAkUp
10-05-04, 11:08 AM
Remove the pads! They totally suck!

tobywong
10-05-04, 11:10 AM
forgot to mention.... after you take the thermal pads off there will still be a residue left behind. Make sure you clean it off with isopropyl alcohol or whatever you use so that you have a completely clean surface to work with.

NEODARK
10-05-04, 11:49 AM
thanks guys :)

bkswaney
10-05-04, 02:55 PM
thanks guys :)

Keep us updated.
I'm going to do this myself. ;)

Clevor
10-05-04, 07:22 PM
I have an Asus 6800 Ultra and have not installed the NV 5.0 yet. I do see those thermal pads. Problem is they are fairly thick, compared to just thermal material. It seems to me if you remove the pads, there will be a gap between the ram and the sink. Now there are spring-loaded screws to attach the sink, but not sure the springs can compensate for what looks to be a .015-.020" gap left by removing the pads (I can eyeball that small because I've filed and gapped piston rings before). If anything, the fit of the sink will be somewhat loose and sloppy.

I believe AS5 'evaporates' off leaving sintered material. Might be better to use the thick Ceramique stuff. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Can anybody confirm that attaching an NV5 with no pads the copper base sits flush with the surface of the ram?

Slammin
10-05-04, 09:31 PM
The reason the pads are there is because of an inconsistent manufactoring process regarding the ram chips, and the different types of ram chips. Some chips sit lower on the pcb than others, and this is why they are using that flexible thermal pad.

When you take off the standard hsf, the pads should come off with it, at least mine did as they are stuck to the hsf and not the ram chips. Now, when you go to install your NV5, chances are, there will be zero space between the copper pads on your NV5 and your ram chips, BUT there will most likely be a gap between the NV5 and you core!

The easiest solution seems to be to lay the AS5 on pretty thick on the core. Worked great for me. If you have the opposite problem (I haven't heard of this on yet) where your core is firmly in contact but there is a gap between the NV5 and your ram chips, I would use a thin layer of AS5 on the core and go thick on the ram chips.

My BFG OC w/NV5 seems to be breaking in nicely at 424/1.11 with temps:

ambient - 38
idle - 55
max 76

Just got done playing Doom3 so I think the idle is usually lower.

Clevor
10-05-04, 11:41 PM
One concern I have with AS5 is it seems to evaporate off, so it may not be the best to fill gaps or voids. Arctic Ceramique may be the best bet. The stuff is so thick, you can mount sinks without any adhesive or fastening device; it forms a vacuum if you try to pull it off. Guys have to use it with Vapochills. According to AS, they discontinued AS3 and recommend the Ceramique if you want quick break-in, so it can't be all that bad. I'm probably going to use this on the core and ram when I install the NV5.

combat_wombat
10-05-04, 11:42 PM
I've used AS Ceramique since it was released. It's worked great

P1x44r
10-06-04, 07:16 AM
Do NOT use conductive AS5 on memory unless you want to damage your videocard. Use Arctic Alumina instead.

NEODARK
10-06-04, 07:40 AM
Really?

I've heard of a lot of ppl here that have been using AS5 to cover the memory and they are fine...

what's this Artic alumina, I couldnt find it at newegg? should I use the inlcuded thing in the NV5 package for the memory instead?

I also have some AS3, is that bad too for memory?

PS look at this post, AS5 on mem clicky (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38087)

ihiktacos
10-06-04, 07:46 AM
I tried checking the info on ArcticSilver.com. Seems that all three: Arctic ceramique, arctic alumina and AS5 can be used for CPU cooling, but I couldn't find much info on using it for memory cooling. Also, from the reviews I gathered that the AS5 is basically just a bit 'better' and more expensive.

Seems to me though that the ceramique and alumina are a bit thicker and probably would fill up the gap a little better. Any more info at all on the differences from an experienced user would be great, or some explanation on why AS5 would be bad.

Btw, I saw on svc.com the Arctic stuff is pretty cheap and has free (first class) shipping. Never tried this company before though.

P1x44r
10-06-04, 08:53 AM
I have killed one nV card myself by applying AS5 on the memory. Alumina is available at FrozenCPU.

tobywong
10-06-04, 08:54 AM
based on the AS5 footprints left behind when I seperated my NV5 from the card, all of the memory chips and the core were making full contact with both sides. There were no gaps anywhere. In fact, it was almost like the 2 parts were glued together once the AS5 had set... I really had to pull on it before the NV5 finally popped off. Of course ymmv and no 2 cards are alike but there were no big gaps to fill for me.

JRd1st
10-06-04, 08:59 AM
From my experience PCI fans were increasing my GPU temps. Try removing your Vantec and tell me if you see any difference. ;)

By the way, I used to remove thermal pads from ATI cards getting higher memory overclocks.

I don't have PCI fans but I had an 80mm fan on my cases air intake, which is right next to the molex side of my 6800, and having that fan on INCREASED my gpu temps. I think it was blowing the hot air that the cards fans were trying to remove back into the card :ORDER:

bkswaney
10-06-04, 08:26 PM
Does the NV5 come with AS5 or anything?

Clevor
10-06-04, 08:30 PM
Does the NV5 come with AS5 or anything?

No way. Never seen any sink come with $$$ AS. The NV5 comes with some white stuff, might be cheap silicone thermal paste. I don't know for sure, as I never use the stuff these sinks come with anyway.

bkswaney
10-06-04, 08:33 PM
Is this not better than AS5?

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/thr-13.html

It's the Arctic Silver Ceramique.

jAkUp
10-06-04, 08:51 PM
No... artic silver 5 is better. The cermique is non conductive. Basically, as long as you dont put so much to seep onto leads, stick with Artic Silver 5. I am using it on my core and memory.

And no, don't believe that B.S. about killing your card if you use Arctic Silver 5. I used it on my 9800 Pro, and also my 6800 Ultra. 3 of my coworkers use it on their 6800 GT's. It's not possible to damage the memory since the outer shell has no leads. Its only if you were to apply too much, or be careless when applying.

Clevor
10-06-04, 08:52 PM
Supposely the Ceramique is more functional at sub zero temps so therefore it is the choice of Vapochill guys. Vapochill feels AS5 is conductive, and say your warrantee is void if you use it on CPUs (???).

I asked Arctic Silver and they told me AS5 is their best product, but it takes maybe 200 hrs to break in. Since I change CPUs well before that, they recommended Ceramique due to the lower break-in time. They told me AS3 is out, as it has been discontinued.

I have both AS5 and Ceramique, and the latter is very thick and goopy (white). Good for gaps. Ceramique is so thick, I have a hard time removing an Alpha sink since vacuum clamps it to the CPU. I have to damn near pull on the board, holding it with my feet, to get the sink off! I've pretty much gone back to AS5 for this reason, as I change CPUs often.