PDA

View Full Version : bfg6800gt noobie

arise
10-05-04, 09:42 AM
Hi all,
after quite a long flirt with ATI i decided to come back to Nvidia and swapped my 9800Pro for a Bfg 6800GT/OC. Noticed quite a few changes since i was watching the Nvidia scene, particularly the (almost) infinite driver builds nowadays :) Official from Nvidia are the 61.77 i think, meanwhile i see 65.xx, 66.xx beta (which i run now).

The drivers that came with my BFG were 61.22 but i tried the 61.77 from the Nvidia site. They gave me a "once in a while" stutter in desktop mode which was quite annoying after a while. Noticed no problems in 3D. Then went for the 66 betas with the coolbits enabled thru registry. Stutter is almost gone, still there but less noticeable.
Must say the card is a definate upgrade worth from the 9800Pro, at least from benchmarking p.o.v:
9800Pro - ~ 3600
6800GT 4AA/8AF ~ 5500 & noAA/noAF ~ 10500 !!!

Now 2 questions:
What are the main differences between those main builds (61,65,66) or where could i read up on them?
GPU temperature is always at 58C no matter what i do (desktop idle or after exiting 3D Mark2003)...is that...normal?

thx in advance

arise
10-06-04, 07:40 AM
ok my temps ARE changing after all...by 1 or 2 degrees :) never gone hotter than 60C which i guess is a good thing.

how about all the driver builds? what's different between them? PS3 support in all? some better for benchmarking, some for IQ or stability? please help me out here...

running the 66.81 beta with no problems so far...the official 61.77 from Nvidia had the following prob: the tray icon would crash after the first rightclick, gave me an exception error or something.

saturnotaku
10-06-04, 07:52 AM
running the 66.81 beta with no problems so far

I think you just answered your own questions right here.

arise
10-06-04, 10:05 AM
well not quite...are the 66.70 or 72 that much faster than 81?

Superfly
10-06-04, 10:56 AM
I was using 66.28 and then moved up to 66.72 - basically use what works best for you - the 66.81 are BETA and no good from a development point of view, I wont use them.

saturnotaku
10-06-04, 12:08 PM
well not quite...are the 66.70 or 72 that much faster than 81?

The only way to really find out is good old fashioned trial and error. You will not get a consensus over whether one driver is markedly better than another.

thrawn42
10-06-04, 12:56 PM
ok my temps ARE changing after all...by 1 or 2 degrees :) never gone hotter than 60C which i guess is a good thing.

how about all the driver builds? what's different between them? PS3 support in all? some better for benchmarking, some for IQ or stability? please help me out here...

running the 66.81 beta with no problems so far...the official 61.77 from Nvidia had the following prob: the tray icon would crash after the first rightclick, gave me an exception error or something.

Sounds like you are incorrectly updating drivers. You need to make sure all old versions AND ATI drivers are off of your system. I recommend dling Nasty File Remover and Driver Cleaner and then do the following:

1) Delete the nVidia driver via control panel.
2) Restart into safe mode
3) Run NFR and Driver Cleaner (order doesn't matter)
a) Make sure that you remove all ATI and nVidia files
b) Use the cab cleaning utility
4) Restart back into Windows and manually install the drivers (ignore and close the Windows new hardware found screens) via the nVidia setup utility (usually gotten with a driver set at places like guru3d.com).

arise
10-07-04, 06:41 AM
since yesterday the mouselags in 2d(desktop) mode are getting worse, it's like when u move it across the screen, it gets stuck for a little bit...and this quite often...

any ideas?