PDA

View Full Version : Tribes: Vengeance Ships / Releases Today! | Feedback

Pages : [1] 2

|JuiceZ|
10-05-04, 12:41 PM
If any of you guys who posted in the mplayer demo thread were lucky enough to get a copy today letís hear it?! Most of my local gaming outlets said to either call back in the afternoon after their shipments come in or just wait until tomorrow to hit the shelves.

Absolutely cannot wait! Havenít really enjoyed playing a demo or anticipated a game this much since UT99. The last several days at my place have been usually spent hitting the bed between 2 & 5AM. The addition of the grapple brings back the nostalgia of playing q2 ctf over 56K w/ 200ms ping times back in the mid-late 90ís :p Speaking of T:V, also looking fwd to the sponsored Starsiege:Tribes (mech) mod being developed on the new engine :cool:

Reaper106
10-05-04, 06:59 PM
Been a Tribes player since day 1, I cant wait for this game. Should have it on the 6th since i paid $10 for overnite shipping. will report back soon as its in my hands. :firedevil

Da Alians
10-05-04, 08:35 PM
i..didnt care for the new demo that much

aAv7
10-05-04, 08:57 PM
yea..seemed like a bad rip-off of ut2k4....

|JuiceZ|
10-05-04, 10:01 PM
Tribes is a love or hate game. Most tribes 1 players will love T:V because it brings back the original gameplay.

yea..seemed like a bad rip-off of ut2k4....

It feels extremely much like UT2K4 because its built off the Unreal Engine ;)

Nv40
10-06-04, 12:58 AM
have not seeing Tribes :vengeance yet.. only pictures ,but im not terrible interested in it. im very disappointed that the Original developers were fired by Sierra ,and all that talent went to other games.. Planetsides is one..if im not mistaken Tribes :V is done entirely by other developers .. and using the Unreal engine. the screenshots i have seen look like an Unrealt2004 mod. :( here is the comments from a die hard tribes player here since the original one. loved first two.. but have the believe that the real game ended with the breakup of Dynamix. i will be looking for feedback here of original tribes players ,those that really knows how good was that game. Fun and teamplay was invented by Dynamix. before that every thing that move shoters and rpgs. :)

Xav
10-06-04, 03:14 AM
Well if it helps I bought Tribes 1 and 2 the day they hit the shelves and with that said, I'm totally loving T:V!

The odd thing is..as much as I love the Unreal Universe and U1/UT..I don't ever play UT2K4 due to the fact that I don't find it fun.

I've been hooked on T:V since beta and have played it almost every night for the last month or so...still not tired of those first 4 maps lol.

Also, I'm having Q2 flashbacks due to that grappling hook and that is "a good thing". :)

Brings back the feeling of the old Voodoo glory days with my trusty P166.

Arioch
10-06-04, 04:12 AM
This game just seemed watered down from the previous Tribes titles and feels more like a Unreal Tournament game that Tribes - I think I will pass unless the retail game turns out to be more than I saw in the beta.

adv1
10-06-04, 07:13 AM
This game just seemed watered down from the previous Tribes titles and feels more like a Unreal Tournament game that Tribes - I think I will pass unless the retail game turns out to be more than I saw in the beta.Yeah sadly this is how I feel as well, as a big fan of Tribes 2 I was really looking forward to Vengeance but from the demos it does just feel like a watered down version in all but the graphics quality, so I can't really see any reason to buy it. :(

In some ways it feels like an Unreal Tournament game, but in that case I think it's better to stick with playing the superior UT2004.

Maybe there should have been more focus on making some really impressive multiplayer gamemodes (with bot support for offline matches), rather than a singleplayer story that most players probably aren't all that bothered about?

|JuiceZ|
10-06-04, 08:07 AM
I bought both Tribes 1 & 2 when they both came out. Tribes 2 IMO was garbage and was no where near a worthy successor to the original when it came to gameplay. I'm thinking the reason why I enjoy playing T:V so much is because of how much it feels like UT2K4 & being an advid UT player, its extremely easy to switch between the two..

btw, Arioch you should give the demo a try before completely deciding. I found it quite solid over the beta.

Reaper106
10-06-04, 09:25 AM
Tribes 1 was the BEST!!!, I think the reasone Tribes 2 missed the mark was its maps. The tribes 1 feel was there. without the AWESOME maps. I bought both the day they came out also JuiceZ :) Although i was sad when Dynamix bit the dust. I belive Tribes can live on and be as great as ever. By just watching the movies I can tell they have captured the Tribes spirit already...

Sooooooooo, in closing... All that stand against the mighty Blood Eagle.. Prepare to DIE!!!!!!!!!! :firedevil

ohh ya and since there is what seems to be a good start of fans in here already, lets start an NVNEWS Tribes clan.....

Whos in?????????

Reaper106
10-06-04, 09:30 AM
Oh guys, be aware that patch 1.1 is available for download and is required for online play :firedevil

|JuiceZ|
10-06-04, 12:23 PM
Oh guys, be aware that patch 1.1 is available for download and is required for online play :firedevil

lol, I don't know if thats a good thing. Release day "patch"? :o

btw, seriously doubt there's enough Tribes players here to start a clan but if I rented a server, we'd definitely have a UT2k4 ONS one though.

Kaguya
10-06-04, 03:29 PM
I loved Tribes, but I'm wondering if I want more of the same with T:V or if I should try something different like SW: Battlefront. It seems that Battlefront has way worse reviews, but a lot of the people I talk to who have played it really like it.

I have to pick one, but not sure which ;)

Xav
10-06-04, 11:08 PM
The maps in retail are awesome :) I'm seeing my Ultra getting a run for it's money on some of the larger ones.

Looks great!

|JuiceZ|
10-06-04, 11:14 PM
The maps in retail are awesome :) I'm seeing my Ultra getting a run for it's money on some of the larger ones.

Looks great!

Thats what I'm hearing, where'd you find your copy at?

Xav
10-07-04, 01:24 PM
EBGames. For some reason I literally have 4 EBs, 3 Gamestops and 2 Rhinos within 10-15 miles of the house.

|JuiceZ|
10-07-04, 01:45 PM
Pimp, have pretty much the same situation here, just we seem to get everything later than everyone else. Newayz, looks like Gamestop round my way has it. Don't know if I'll have anytime to play tonight though cause my PC-V1000B is coming in & I gotta help my brother install his new system into my old ATCS-111c case. Good times :cool:

btw, post some screenies of the new maps!

sonaboy
10-08-04, 11:40 AM
so is this out today in stores?
I went to Best Buy yesterday (the 7th) and all they had were the pre-order boxes on the rack.

is it there today? :bounce:

|JuiceZ|
10-08-04, 12:13 PM
so is this out today in stores?
I went to Best Buy yesterday (the 7th) and all they had were the pre-order boxes on the rack.

is it there today? :bounce:

Gamestop/EB had copies avail back on 10/6. Looks like shipments are slower to reach some of the larger retailers though as our Bestbuy & Compusa still donít have the game in stock either.

sonaboy
10-08-04, 01:06 PM

hmm....well, luckily i've got a tiny Gamestop near my house i can check today.

usually they're out of anything new or popular though, since their stock levels are so low.

i guess that's the price i pay for living in a city storefront community.

Xav
10-08-04, 11:49 PM
I'd love to post up some shots but outta town for the weekend =) Hopefully some other folks will contribute some.

sonaboy
10-09-04, 12:13 AM
humph...i don't know.

T:V seems just barely more than a deathmatch/CTF game with vehicles and jetpacks...no better than Unreal Tourney 2004.

i've played for about 3 hours on various servers, and barely anyone uses the defensive tactics with turrets and mines etc..

the tank is abominably bad...single man flying vehicles are okay.

most sounds are cheesy...the whistle of the mortars doesn't seem like it belongs. turrets are very clunky feeling...actually the whole game feels clunky.

mortar guns don't seem to have the same distance...much less...less accurate for long range stuff. sniper rifle seems very underpowered.

don't know if i like the 3 guns for every armor loadout aspect either.

no force fields so you can protect your entrances from mortars and suicide bombers? you have to wait around for various ships/flyers to spawn without being able to order them up? no targeting laser?

doesn't anyone miss the complex defensive setups that T1 and T2 had?

sonaboy
10-09-04, 12:43 PM
some qualifications after another 4 hours of play.

figured out the quick faves motions...although F is a bit close to G which tosses a grenade in your lap when you're in a hurry and pisses your teammates off pretty nicely.

Mortar distace is good i guess...but the heavy just doesn't carry enough of them.

skiing is absolutely first rate...

heavies are too easy to kill, single flying ship is too slow. rocket gun isn't very accurate.

some of the maps are quite brilliant and seem to have high level of replayability.
love the city maps, the terrain can be your worst enemy or your best friend.
maps load FAST - i like that.

anyone have trouble getting the repair pack to restart after it's depleted?
i keep hitting the button to activate the pack, but it seems like it has a mind of it's own. that would get VERY aggravating during a heavy onslaught where time is of the essence in getting your base back online.

i love the look of the game, although even on the high settings for textures, the foliage on the ground seems to be made of sprites...dunno...also - that's the only time my game gets a bit choppy, when i'm running through a lot of foliage that's blowing in the wind while getting attacked.

i'm not sure i'll be able to get over the lack of defensive strategy and deployables - that added so much pleasure for me in both T1 and T2.

overall, after 12 hours of play : 7 out of 10 stars *******

Xav
10-09-04, 05:07 PM
Watch the recharge meter for your packs in the lower right corner :)