PDA

View Full Version : A Dust Problem

Hyper_Snyper
11-09-02, 10:04 AM
This is a very annoying problem.

I don't know about any of you guys but my rig gets really dusty every so often, especially the inside. Every few weeks I have to take it all apart and clean it, which is really a hassle.
Is there anything I can do to keep the dust from piling up like this? Does the dust affect the performance of the machine?

thcdru2k
11-09-02, 10:20 AM
do you leave your case open?

the key to less dust is having good airflow within your case. think of getting exhaust or fans. you can even install your own dust filters.

also you don't need to take apart the whole thing to dust it. just get a can of compressed air. it does a much better job. and dust does not affect the performance unless you want to overclock.

The Baron
11-09-02, 11:19 AM
and dust does not affect the performance unless you want to overclock.

Not entirely true. A guy I know blew out his video card (GF1 :p ) when dust got so clogged in the fan that it stopped working....

Just try to keep the area around your computer SOMEWHAT clean, and it'll help a lot. Other than that, compressed air does wonders. :p

ReDeeMeR
11-09-02, 05:57 PM
The more air your fan sucks in the more dust it brings and it usualy stays on your heatsinks and fans wich really sucks.

Your pc probably has a high electromagnetic-whatever so the dust is drawn to it more then usual... just my guessing...

mr_oh_so_ice
11-15-02, 07:31 AM
Off topic a bit, but I love using compressed air.

Nemesis
11-15-02, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
dust does not affect the performance unless you want to overclock.

Years ago, when I worked in a Network Technician role, we had some building work done around our comms racks. We did all we could to protect the gear from dust. For the next year, hardware failures on those racks was up 500%.

Probably an extreme situation, but it's best to keep PCB's free of dust as well as fans, within reason.

TheOneKEA
11-16-02, 02:13 PM
Install filters on all the intake fans in your rig. Some new cases, especially ones from people like Lian Li and Antec, have special fan mounts with filters in them. Just make sure you change the filter regularly ;)