PDA

View Full Version : Awesome, NV Silencer 5!!! (Crappy Screws though)

Pages : [1] 2

StrongBad18
10-05-04, 03:03 PM
I first got my NV5 Silencer last week. When I installed it, I applied thermal compound like I would on a cpu (ie. a very thin layer spread out with a razor). It dropped my temps a couple degrees, but didn't help much with the oc'ing. I could only get 390/1100 at 1.3v. I flashed to 1.4v and could get to about 400/1100.

Ambient = 35C
Idle = 59C
Load = 80C

So, I got bored today and reseated my NV5 and added quite a bit of AS Ceramique to the memory and core. I added about a small pea size drop to the memory and a little larger drop on the core. My temps dropped SIGNIFICANTLY. Unfortunately, one of the screws snapped off with a bit of the thread stuck inside while I was tightening the NV5 down. Thankfully, it's on a side where I don't think it will matter (The bottom right one by the molex connector). The screws are VERY fragile, so be careful.

My new temps (Keep in mind, these are WITH my 1.4 volt mod):

34C Ambient
48C Idle
61C Load

Awesome!

My new clocks.... *Drum Roll*

450/1.18

Try and tell me that isn't worth the $25 I paid on ebay.

|JuiceZ|
10-05-04, 03:07 PM
Very nice o'c, especially considering how limited you were w/ the stock cooling solution :thumbsup:

Omega53
10-05-04, 03:14 PM
Very nice o'c, especially considering how limited you were w/ the stock cooling solution :thumbsup:

450 seems to be the norm on the core. Thats what mine is running ;)

|JuiceZ|
10-05-04, 03:18 PM
450 seems to be the norm on the core. Thats what mine is running ;)

Looks like it. What size ram does eVGA use on those cards?

Omega53
10-05-04, 03:22 PM
Looks like it. What size ram does eVGA use on those cards?

256MB

tobywong
10-05-04, 03:35 PM
Yeah I really wish the mounting screws were a little sturdier.

The other thing I found odd was I expected the thing to suck air from inside the case and exhaust it out the vent in the back of the case. It actually sucks air in the back and the fan blows out inside the case.

I'm still pushing my card to see how high it can go... I just volt modded it last night.

bkswaney
10-05-04, 03:38 PM

The other thing I found odd was I expected the thing to suck air from inside the case and exhaust it out the vent in the back of the case. It actually sucks air in the back and the fan blows out inside the case.

I'm still pushing my card to see how high it can go... I just volt modded it last night.

You are the second person I've seen that said it sucked air in
through the back. Sounds like a good cooler.

I think when I get my NV5 I'm going to find
some bolts the same size but made better
before I install mine.

StrongBad18
10-05-04, 03:38 PM
450 is by no means normal, a lot of cards can't even reach 400/1100.

Slammin
10-05-04, 06:12 PM

The reason your card is sucking air in is because you have too many exhaust fans in your case and too little intake fans. If you leave it that way you may consider reversing the speed your NV5 fan turns. Ideally though, you should add some intake fans because eventually your NV5 is going to get clogged up with dust.

MadMikeSS
10-05-04, 07:09 PM
If anyone is interested, we posted a review of this product. Worked ok for me, but I wouldn't say I got super great scores out of it, but it did install fairly easy, the stock cooler was harder to uninstall. I haven't really found anyone else who has reviewed this cooler out there other than those who have ventured to buy it and post their results on forums such as this.

NV5 Silencer Review @ 3DXtreme.net (http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=nvsilencer51)

combat_wombat
10-05-04, 11:37 PM
I've had great success with my nv5 silencer. dropped my idle temps around 8c, and load temps a good 10c. and it blows all that blasted hot air OUT of my computer

hypertek
10-05-04, 11:56 PM
man!! anyone else here get scared of tightening it? I swear I hear "cracking" noises when I tighten it..

Darkoz
10-06-04, 12:06 AM
I think when I get my NV5 I'm going to find
some bolts the same size but made better
before I install mine.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to do that as the NV5 bolts are part of the heatsink base.

bkswaney
10-06-04, 12:10 AM
Unfortunately, you won't be able to do that as the NV5 bolts are part of the heatsink base.

Well that suxs a big one. :(

I may look for ways to improve the factory cooler. ;)

combat_wombat
10-06-04, 12:55 AM
AC was suppose to redo the screws with stronger ones. I had no problem tightening mine. I just was cautious not to overdo it

jAkUp
10-06-04, 01:13 AM
I would suggest replacing the nuts. I broke off one of mine and i got artifacts in all games. When i squeezed the heatsink and the card together, the tempature immediately dropped in the control panel. I ordered another one and its all good :) Also, mine blows air out the back.. not sure whats wrong with the guys whos sucking air...

whiskeychaser
10-06-04, 01:54 AM
me thinks he is hallucinating.

NEODARK
10-06-04, 07:50 AM
If anyone is interested, we posted a review of this product. Worked ok for me, but I wouldn't say I got super great scores out of it, but it did install fairly easy, the stock cooler was harder to uninstall. I haven't really found anyone else who has reviewed this cooler out there other than those who have ventured to buy it and post their results on forums such as this.

NV5 Silencer Review @ 3DXtreme.net (http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=nvsilencer51)

that was a good review, thanks...

could you tell me what compound (like AS5 etc...) was used for the core and memory modules?

tobywong
10-06-04, 08:44 AM
The reason your card is sucking air in is because you have too many exhaust fans in your case and too little intake fans. If you leave it that way you may consider reversing the speed your NV5 fan turns. Ideally though, you should add some intake fans because eventually your NV5 is going to get clogged up with dust.

I am currently running without side panels on my case so what you are hypothesizing is not possible...

I did some more testing last night and so far the highest I've been able to push it is 429/1130. After that my scores actually go down which indicate to me it is throttling back. I think my card is just not the greatest OCing candidate...

Slammin
10-06-04, 08:58 AM
You have a GT? If so you are way over stock speeds of the GT and are doing better than Ultra speeds on your core. I think you have a great OC there. My GT OC gets unstable above 430 on the core and anything above 1.14 on the memory so I leave it at 425/1.1. Really nice considering the default is 370/1.0 and $100 cheaper than an Ultra.

Oh, and I have no idea why your NV5 is sucking air in but at least in my case, if I crank up the rpm on my 120mm exhaust fan, I stop feeling any air coming from the pci slot exhaust on my NV5.

tobywong
10-06-04, 09:04 AM
Yes it's a GT, I think that's a pretty average OC myself... certainly not bad but could be better considering it's volt modded and running an NV5. That's the luck of the draw with OCing though... you never know how far you can push your part until you try.

About the fan, is reversing the fan direction a matter of flipping the 2 wires on the fan power lead? Is it possible there is manuf. defect on some cards with the wires reversed?

NEODARK
10-06-04, 09:22 AM
everything is possible, remember humans built it... So it might be the case (are you absolutely sure though?)

otherwise your silencer is going to become cloged with dust when sucking air in...

tobywong
10-06-04, 09:42 AM
Yes I'm 200% sure... I've checked it multiple times. It sucks in the back panel and forcefully blows out inside the case. It actually creates a fair bit of turbulence in the lower half of the case.

I just sent arctic cooling an email. Now I'm very curious since other people are reporting their fan blows the opposite direction.

NEODARK
10-06-04, 10:06 AM
heh, im curious too now... wonder how many ppl has the fan blowing in, instead of out...

BTW how are your temps?

daos
10-06-04, 10:21 AM
interesting read. ill make sure and check that when mine arrives.