PDA

View Full Version : Enable AA in game? or in Nvidia control panel?

thunderhippo
10-05-04, 07:56 PM
i have always wondered about this..
which are you supposed to do? Set up performance and quality for AA and AF in the display panel on the desktop? or set it up in a game when it gives you the option?
Or should i do both? If i set it up on my desktop will it work in the game automatically? or will i have to set it up manually? or do i have to turn it off on the desktop and on in the game because if it was on in the desktop and on in the game it would seem like it would be on twice and then that might slow things down a bit eh?

i wish they would standardize this. Why put the option in the game if it is in the display properties?

Hellion
10-06-04, 04:17 AM
ive always thought, that if it supports it in the game, use that, that way its unique for that game, get it? so you dont have to continueously change the MAIN settings in the panel, unless you CANT do it in the game than do it in the panel ( Duh sorry).

crainger
10-06-04, 09:03 AM
I always set up a profile through the driver control panel and override the games settings. However if theres and problems like weird grapics or really slow FPS then I will let the game control AA to see if that fixes the problem.

I had problems in The Sims 2 if I set AA in the control panel, AF was fine but AA stuffed it up. So I just set it ingame and it cleared everything up.

thunderhippo
10-06-04, 04:12 PM
fair enough.

rohit
10-07-04, 01:11 AM
I think it worx this way:
For example MAX Payne2 : it had an option of anti-alising.. i put it to 4 samples..
but in my nv profile for max payne2, the value selected for anti-alising was "off", so there was no anti-alising happening the game, but wen i changed it to the value "application controled" in control panel game profile for mx payne, i started gettin anti-alising.
Then i switched to no anti-alising in Max Payne2, grafic Options, and set the value of anti alising in control panel\game profile max payne2 to 4x, n there was anti alising in the game

So if u activate in control panel, it will happen in game too, but if u start it in game.. make sure its set to "app controled" in control panel

K007
10-07-04, 02:22 AM
For me, if i set the AA to APP control in Sims2, the game lags, but if i set to 4x it runs smooth...O.o

Also the control panel needs alot more space to work with..so tiny the options area.

They should also release some kinda doc file containing info about individual games with the best settings.

crainger
10-07-04, 10:31 PM
For me, if i set the AA to APP control in Sims2, the game lags, but if i set to 4x it runs smooth...O.o

Also the control panel needs alot more space to work with..so tiny the options area.

They should also release some kinda doc file containing info about individual games with the best settings.

Well they kinda do that now, the control panel comes preloaded with profiles for a few games... But most of these settings are for games that have issues with Nvidia cards. i.e. all the Quake 3 engine games have the texture clamp set to off by default