PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking...

Silverfire82
10-06-04, 07:09 AM
I'm just making a post to ask:

How do you overclock a, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT? I kinda feel weird asking pros about something that's kinda small like this. Anyway, the whole "add/replacing a registration file" to open up options under the video card's settings, ended up making me have to reinstall Windows all together. It ended up effecting Explorer somehow to the point that icons won't even show up anymore. So, I'm trying to figure out how to do it in a way where I won't risk screwing something else up in the process.

saturnotaku
10-06-04, 07:35 AM
If you did something that ended up forcing you to reinstall Windows, then it might not be a good idea for you to tamper in the black arts of overclocking. However, if you feel you absolutely must, then Google or use the forum search function to read about Coolbits.

BYUNews
10-06-04, 07:43 AM
You add one registry entry, a DWORD entry called "Coolbits" with a value of 3. How did that force you to reinstall Windows?

boro
10-06-04, 07:47 AM
You can always use Rivatuner instead of coolbits

A small tutorial :)
On the "main" tab: driver settings -> system settings (next to customize)
enable driver-level hardware overclocking
select "performance 3D"
change core and/or memory speeds
Hit test
Test your overclock with some heavy game/benchmark
If all works click "apply overclock at startup" and save
You need to do this every time you install a new driver

Warden13
10-06-04, 08:14 AM
I'd suggest Rivatuner as well. I got better results from it then I did from Coolbits 2.

Warden

FlowmotioN
10-06-04, 08:35 AM
:lol2: You guys dont know how to overclock, or you just couldnt be bothered helping him out?

Google Coolbits 2

Download Coolbits 2

double click the coolbits 2 *.reg file that you downloaded

start the nvidia display control panel you should have the clock frequency tab there now.

That wasn't very hard now was it, took me 30 seconds to write that.

crainger
10-06-04, 08:49 AM
I'm just making a post to ask:

How do you overclock a, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT? I kinda feel weird asking pros about something that's kinda small like this. Anyway, the whole "add/replacing a registration file" to open up options under the video card's settings, ended up making me have to reinstall Windows all together. It ended up effecting Explorer somehow to the point that icons won't even show up anymore. So, I'm trying to figure out how to do it in a way where I won't risk screwing something else up in the process.

You could also download nvHardPage from guru3d.com and use that to enable the overclocking option just enable the coolbits tab

Using coolbits 2 also removes the application profile option, if you want that back after using coolbits 2, nvHardPage can do that to. Just enable the Perf. and Quality tab.

To get a stable overclock make sure you disable Fastwrites, this can be done in your bios, enabling the AGP tab though nvHardPage or using RivaTuner (probably the best option if you can't set it in the bios)

Good Luck, hope you reach Ultra Speeds at least :cool:

Silverfire82
10-06-04, 11:05 AM
:lol2: You guys dont know how to overclock, or you just couldnt be bothered helping him out?

Google Coolbits 2

Download Coolbits 2

double click the coolbits 2 *.reg file that you downloaded

start the nvidia display control panel you should have the clock frequency tab there now.

That wasn't very hard now was it, took me 30 seconds to write that.

I did just that, and that's what caused the problems I had in the first place. Obviously, I'm staying far away from Coolbits. In fact, when I did, it took the temperature gauge completely away and replaced it with the overclocking section, so I couldn't even see how high the heat was getting.

Silverfire82
10-06-04, 11:10 AM
I'll try downloading a few things and see what happens. And when I reinstalled Windows, my video card, apparently, is still running at the speed I put it at before Explorer messed up. I'll try Rivatuner for now, see what happens, then get back to you guys if I have problems afterwards.

Marcos
10-06-04, 11:15 AM
Coolbits is good it works, even for a moran like me. My **** is @ home right now 400/1.1 no problems

Silverfire82
10-06-04, 12:17 PM
Alright, then... I just got done using RivaTuner, and I overclocked to 400mhz on the GPU, and 1100mhz on the memory. I used to Nalu demo (6600 version) to see what the temperature would run at, and settled on 87-88c. Is there any other games/demos/benchmarks that I should use to see if the heat will increase? Remember... This is my first time overclocking ANYTHING. Gotta gimme some credit that I actually make something faster than it's supposed to go. Especially on something so expensive.

whiskeychaser
10-06-04, 01:08 PM
good job moving those sliders!!! It's so anti climatic your first time isn't it?

|JuiceZ|
10-06-04, 01:18 PM
good job moving those sliders!!! It's so anti climatic your first time isn't it?

:lol2:

Silverfire82 we're not trying to make phun of you and it does take some balls to o'c a $400 piece of equipment, the point is though, soley merging the coolbits 2 reg file into your registry alone, should not cause you to have to reinstall windows. Its obvious there's another prob there. Never-the-less, rivatuner is there to rescue so congrats & don't blow up anything ;)

FlowmotioN
10-06-04, 01:43 PM
Alright, then... I just got done using RivaTuner, and I overclocked to 400mhz on the GPU, and 1100mhz on the memory. I used to Nalu demo (6600 version) to see what the temperature would run at, and settled on 87-88c. Is there any other games/demos/benchmarks that I should use to see if the heat will increase? Remember... This is my first time overclocking ANYTHING. Gotta gimme some credit that I actually make something faster than it's supposed to go. Especially on something so expensive.

Good Stuff!

Maybe you should look into getting some cooling on that baby. 88c is pretty high, I wouldn't reccomend going any higher without first securing some better cooling. That having been said, the my 6800 throttles down at 120c which you are well clear of.

Has anyone actually broken the 100c limit on their 6800?

Silverfire82
10-06-04, 03:09 PM
Thanks for your guy's help! Games are running so much better now. I've actually noticed a major performance difference.