PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem

Steedie
10-06-04, 07:51 AM
RIght so guys i got my new computer tuesday

after installing everything i went to benchmark and it shut down after 5 minutes, wierd i thought but tried again lasted 5 mins and shut down. Ignored it and assumed it was a duff installation tried doom3 and it shut down within 2 minutes. also when it shbuts down i cant turn it on again for a good 30 seconds

CPU overheating i thought so read temps, 65 full load so i knew it was the cpu, then i was told to update the bios as the MSI K8N Neo had misread temps under the old bios, updated and it was ok 48 full load.

So anyway the problem was still happening tho, doom3 was shutting down after 2 mins. I rang tech support and they told me to install coolbits and disable fastwrites and ensure 2d/3d clock speeds are the same, so i did this. Loaded doom3 and it lasted 4 hours, and i thought it was solved so i turned the comp off and went out, came back and tried again and it didnt even load the levels. But later it lasted 2 hours before turning off.

So the times are inconsistent.

Thing is it isnt the graphics overheating either, i been monitoring temps and it hasnt gone over 64 no matter what. And i used that rthdribl program for 2 hours and it didnt crash and temps stayed at 63/64.

i turned fast writes off in the bios, its not the 400w psu or is it? 12v rail hasnt ever fallen below 12.03 and 5v never below 5.32 and 3v never below 3.15. I really am stuck guys

i've tried 61.77 drivers and the new beta ones 61.88 or whatever. I've taken it out and reseated it in the agp slot

Also once when it turned off when i turned it back on there were red anbd blue squares everywhere. Usually i'd point the blame straight to borked memory but thats the only time and i've never seen artifacts apart from in the butterfly test in 3dmark05 but i've heard thats quite common.

amd64 3200+
msi k8n neo
2x 512Mb 3200
6800le
1x 160Gb Sata HDD
Soundblaster Audigy 2 zs
2 case fans
1 cd rewriter
1 dvd drive

im stuck for ideas guys

if anyone of you can solve my problem before i have to give my comp away for upto 2 weeks just while its fixed i'll love u forever lol

JRd1st
10-06-04, 08:18 AM
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here but take your card out and check to be sure the screws on your heatsink aren't loose.

Also, when you installed your drivers did you run DriverCleaner 3.3 after you uninstalled your old drivers? If not then download and install DriverCleaner 3.3, read the instructions carefully, uninstall your drivers and use DC3.3 to clean up in safe mode. Reinstall your drivers and use RivaTuner to turn off your fast writes.

crainger
10-06-04, 08:23 AM
Hmmm, I think I know of someone who was having this kinda prob, turns out his bios was set so it would turn off if a fans speed dropped below a certain speed and coz he had a fan setup that would slow down when things were cool his PC would shutoff. He just turned off the fan shutdown in the bios

But seeing as your PC seems to shut down under load I doubt this is your problem

Ah well it might help

Steedie
10-06-04, 01:20 PM
yes JRd i did that mate and i dont think i got that set in the bios, will check, havent seen it before and i think i know my bios like the back of my hand since i had this problem lol

any other ideas guys

most greatful

Omega53
10-06-04, 01:45 PM
Who makes the psu? Is it generic or name brand?

Steedie
10-06-04, 05:33 PM
its a PSU that came with the Demonite PC

im doubting Demonite who use the same PSU for every pc of this type will include hardware not upto the job, at least i hope so lol

i think if i remember its a Hyper or (Hiper) cant remember if its a funny spelling

SElkie
10-06-04, 05:45 PM
JRd1st: Nice pic but very strange movie, Lynch is a little nuts.

Steedie: This problem you are having sounds very similar to the problem I was originally having when I installed my 6800 gt. It was running on the psu that came with the tower 420w generic from a turbo case. Any ways I basically eliminated all the other options that could have caused these problems and went for an ocz 520w powerstream...its a little pricey but I figured if it solved the problem it was worth the money. So I install this new unit and all my problems melt away...I was able to overclock higher and more stable and all the random shutdowns that I had been plagued with were gone as well.

This may not be your problem but it sounds very similar to the problems I was having.

Good Luck

TheSmJ
10-07-04, 03:18 AM
This issue just screams "Bad PSU" to me.

It's not at all uncommon for cases to come with cheapo PSUs (all accept for Antec's). If I were you, the first thing I'd be looking to do is get a new, good brand named PSU.

bomberbrown
10-07-04, 04:32 AM
I had a prob a bit like that last week. I had installed a new DVD burner and had been gaming after that for some time that day, then the following day when i was using my computer it started crashing :fu: . The screen picture was breaking up and the display was switching of and i was getting no output.

I then reseated my grahpics card and restarted my system and got VGA clock had errored and not set, do you wish to set. My system then ran ok for abit so i ran 3dmark05 and it kept crashing on the cpu test and aslo my computer started to crash as it did before so i then uninstalled my card removed all drivers and files then renstalled and i got the VGA error again so i then installed drivers 66.81 and since then i have had no probs. :)

Very strange because my card had been running ok for a month or so. Hope this could be of any help.

Good Luck

Marcos
10-07-04, 06:48 AM
Dolemite might not use a good brand PSU. I had a no name 400 watter it sucked i replaced it w/ 350 antec

mustrum
10-07-04, 07:00 AM
Looks like a bad PSU. Only because they build their systems with those PSU wont say that it will run stable.
Never underestimate the stupidity of system buildrs. They save some cents wherever they can and they do it were they shouldn't.

pandorazboxx
10-07-04, 07:50 AM
I just put together my computer, i got a biostar m7ncd mb with an nforce2 chipset. and i got a leadtek 6800 GPU. Everytime i try to play a game, it works fine for a few minutes then it either drops me back to the desktop or crashes and restarts and windows error report says i need to update my drivers, and i have the 61.77 update installed

help please

|MaguS|
10-07-04, 09:17 AM
It's definetly a bad PSU. I had a 400w with my system and it would reboot even during CS... Currently using a Sparkle 530w, Never been happier!

ihiktacos
10-07-04, 10:34 AM
It is not 'definitely' the PSU. It could be, but to blame that part just because it solved it in your case doesn't mean he has the same problem. I use a 330 W PSU (Antec) and have no problems running at all.

Check your other components first (especially the memory timings) and then go out and get a PSU at Best Buy or so. Try it, return it if it doesn't help.
At least, that is what I would do :/

TheSmJ
10-07-04, 07:59 PM
It is not 'definitely' the PSU. It could be, but to blame that part just because it solved it in your case doesn't mean he has the same problem. I use a 330 W PSU (Antec) and have no problems running at all.

You're right. YOU are using an Antec (a known good brand). What's he have? a Hiper?

Get a better PSU, and I'm sure this problem will vanish.

crainger
10-07-04, 09:39 PM
Well this happened to me just yesterday when I cleaning some of the dust out of my case (It gets pretty dusty in this part of the world even right by the ocean). I had removed the video card to make it easier. When I put everything back in the video card was seated properly but the system would BSOD all the time then it started shutting itself down sometimes.

I searched the net for answers found nothing helpful, so I checked the inside again and realised that coz the the giant video card I had somehow half popped a RAM module out and that was causing the problems.

pandorazboxx
10-08-04, 12:53 AM
thanx i'ma try and let ya know

pandorazboxx
10-08-04, 09:12 AM
Alright my psu is a cheifmax 450w, I think its pretty crappy, any recomendations on a good one?

TheSmJ
10-08-04, 12:42 PM
The Antec True 430 or 480 supplies are great.

pandorazboxx
10-08-04, 01:01 PM
Will it work with an amd motherboard?

Warden13
10-08-04, 01:25 PM
I'd get a Fortron 530 Waat PSU from newegg for about $75-80. Far superior to the Antec and it's all I use in our MSI A64 systems at work.

Warden

john19055
10-08-04, 09:37 PM
I just got a A64 3400+ and a MSI K8N NEO Platinum and was haveing the reboot problems like you are talking about and it acted like a power supply problem but I knew that was'nt it since I had just recently bought a OCZ Powerstream and what it turned out to be was that I had ever thing set to default and it turn out that the MSI K8N NEO Paltinum had the agp voltage set to 1.48v for the default and once I set it to 1.55v all was fixed.

kahloq
10-08-04, 09:58 PM
Alright my psu is a cheifmax 450w, I think its pretty crappy, any recomendations on a good one?

OCZ Powerstream over everything else(cept maybe a PCp&c....but they arent better...but comparable). OCZ is better quality then every PSU out there.....that doesnt mean other PSU's arent good....just not AS good :)