PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 OC - Stock cooler better than NV Silencer 5??!!

thricedude
10-07-04, 10:06 AM
Hey guys, I have a BFG 6800OC running at 350/700 (stock for this card) and I'm getting idle temps of 45 degrees. This seems really good compared to what other people are reporting, or is this normal for a non-heavily oc'ed card?
The reason I'm asking is because I want an NV silencer 5 but now I'm not sure if my stock cooler is better than it.... the stock cooler is all copper with 2 fans.

Opinions?
-Max

whiskeychaser
10-07-04, 10:33 AM
45 degrees is 10 better than me, and I use the nv5. Unless its too loud for your taste, I wouldn't bother.

ihiktacos
10-07-04, 10:38 AM
I too use the stock cooler on the BFG. One thing which someone else noticed in another thread (which I can't find now), is that BFG uses a very nasty pinkish paste on the GPU and in fact possibly blocks off the temp. sensor. So, it is questionable how well the temperature measurements are on these cards.

NEODARK
10-07-04, 11:16 AM
I just installed my NV5 (stock was the dual fan BFG cooler)

my temps speak for themselves...

stock: 55/75
NV5: 47/65

much better isnt it? BTW the results are taken with the card @ ultra speeds (400/1100)

Also is worth pointing out I took the results running rbtl something blahblah blah for 30 minutes at 1280x1024 while monitoring rivatuner on 2nd screen as well as nvidia display properties

hope that helps (AS5 was used & hasnt even cured yet) :p

hypertek
10-07-04, 12:55 PM
weeeee.. just flashed my bfg to ultra with reference bios (got nv5 as well) now running at 434/1160 and its pretty solid...

digitalis
10-07-04, 01:10 PM
The BFg cooler sucks for, one big reason is you must use those stupid thermal pads on it and NV5 is just overall better.

Hellion
10-07-04, 01:41 PM
sorry about the hijack. um....has anyone notice that the nv series coolers are like the ONLY after market AIR coolers? wtf? they must be making a FORTUNE. we need better, if at all possible, because these are made for silence yet performance, what about all perfomance? anybody know of any? i guess this kinda ISNT off track because he can use whatever found for BETTER cooling right?

bkswaney
10-07-04, 02:49 PM
The BFg cooler sucks for, one big reason is you must use those stupid thermal pads on it and NV5 is just overall better.

I agree 120% on that.

My BFG hits 96 core after running
RTHDRIBL demo.

I tried 2 BFG GT's and both
show the same thing.
I also have great case cooling so
it's not that.

I think some of the BFG GT's are not
reading the core correct becase even BFG
told me that they are also seeing
them hit high 90's.
Or some are not seeing there correct load temps.

The only way to see your real load temps
are to watch it while running rthdribl in
a window big as u can make it using AA and AF.
Open you NV CP to the temp meter and sit
back and watch it go up.

Gaming will not raise it to max.

Also soon as u close a game or anything the temp
drops 10+ the second u turn it off.

tobywong
10-07-04, 03:25 PM
neodark which way does your fan blow/exhaust?

NEODARK
10-07-04, 03:36 PM
blows outwards...

(try this, lick your finger... yes im serious then put your humid finger behind the exaust and makes it much easier to tell)

tobywong
10-07-04, 03:42 PM
:hmmm:

on my system it's REALLY obvious that it's exhausting inside. It would be impossible to mistake it, theres huge turbulence blasting out from the fan directly inside the case.

thricedude
10-07-04, 05:11 PM
Hrm, ok, I guess I'll just ask for the silencer for my Bday and see how it goes. I'd be happy with the same temps as long as its quieter, this card is probably the loudest thing in my system.

On another note, someone above was talking about flashing an ultra bios on a GT card.... is there any such operation for the regular 128mb 6800 card? Or am I stuck with 12 pipelines? :)

I'm new here, but it seems like a great forum. Thanks guys.
-Max

digitalis
10-07-04, 06:56 PM
Good luck with the NV5 and happy early BDay.

Theres a softmod out now (Rivaturner 15.2) that allows you to enable 4 extra pipes and 1 vertex

The success rating is pretty much like this

99% of 6800nu owners has been able to enable the extra vertex
60% of 6800nu owners has been able to enable the extra 4 pipelines

bkswaney
10-07-04, 07:27 PM
Newegg shipped my NV5 and AS5 today! :D :D :D :nanahump:

I'm guessing it will be here tuesday. I used Fedex saver on it.
It's there cheapest.

Cannot wait to see how much my temp drops. :)
I'm hoping that I'll be able to get more of an overclock
out of my card.
It runs so hot right now I'm suprised it's running ultra speeds.

thricedude
10-07-04, 07:35 PM
Wow, that rivatuner sounds great. I followed the link and dl'ed it, but I have a problem...that link says to use 66.81 drivers, but I'm running on win98se, and I can't find 66.81 for win98. Am I stuck? Can I still enable the pipelines on older drivers? I tried using 61.76 before, but they gave me a BSOD and windows protection errors on boot up *eek*.

Any help?
Thanks!
-Max

bkswaney
10-07-04, 07:43 PM
Wow, that rivatuner sounds great. I followed the link and dl'ed it, but I have a problem...that link says to use 66.81 drivers, but I'm running on win98se, and I can't find 66.81 for win98. Am I stuck? Can I still enable the pipelines on older drivers? I tried using 61.76 before, but they gave me a BSOD and windows protection errors on boot up *eek*.

Any help?
Thanks!
-Max

Get rid of 98. That's what I tell anyone who ask me.
U will love XP. :)

I did not even know anyone was still using such an old OS
on a gaming rig. :bugeyes: :angel2:

thricedude
10-07-04, 11:35 PM
I know, I know, I'm a holdout. What can I say, I've loved it until now that no ones making drivers anymore :(. But until christmas when I get XP, do I have any options for my above question? Will rivatuner work with early drivers?
-Max

Hellion
10-08-04, 02:04 PM
seriously, my neighbor has 98. it ALWAYS has problems, its an older system. with only 256 of ram. so i tired installing Xp PRO and it worked.. actually, it makes the whole comp run like 5 times better and smoother.