PDA

View Full Version : Driver update to compensate for LCD scaling

RowaN
10-07-04, 11:47 AM
I'm running a game which uses 1024x896 resolution (for example). Because I am using a LCD monitor, it gets nastily scaled up to 1280x1024 (the resolution of my LCD monitor). With most TFTs, that scaling is a hardware feature which cannot be disabled. What I want is to have the game running just using the middle 1024x896 space of my TFT, so everything stays pixel perfect, not scaled up (the tradeoff being a small black border around the screen which I dont care about). The only way I can see to make this possible, would be some kind of new feature in the nVidia drivers which could give the option of an actual 1280x1024 output, but only use the central 1024x896 frame of pixels to display the game. This would stop the LCD scaling the image, by tricking it into thinking it is displaying a full 1280x1024 picture - it doesnt know about the unused border of black pixels. Is this possible?

(my card is GeForce4 Ti4200 64mb)

saturnotaku
10-07-04, 12:04 PM
1024x896? You mean 1024x768, right?

RowaN
10-07-04, 12:32 PM
Well its just an example. On a 1280x1024 TFT, 1024x896 would be a good distortion-free resolution for a SNES emulator, as the SNES uses 256x224 (256x224 times four equals 1024x896)... well, it would be good if we could avoid scaling, the problem I describe above.

Cota
10-07-04, 03:54 PM
Or you could just run the emulator at 1280x1024 with no scaling.

Randell
10-07-04, 05:35 PM
the drivers already have that feature, as long as your using a DVI cable, its in the flat panel display options, called centred output. I'm using to keep Ground Control (the original) not stretched form its max rez of 10x7 on y 12x10 LCD.

Or for smaller rez stuff like emulators, try the fixed aspect ratio option

_Phil_
10-08-04, 11:09 AM
Anyone know if there is a way to do this on analogue TFTs?

Randell
10-08-04, 02:36 PM
no there isn't

Zetto
10-08-04, 08:39 PM
It not a driver issue, its usually a monitor feature, usually enabled in monitor menu, something like "1:1 image scaling" - but not all LCD have that option, tho.

Randell
10-09-04, 03:52 AM
but if the monitor doesn't have the options, nVidia's drivers will override the hardware and enable the options anyway.

subbo
10-10-04, 07:55 PM
Yeah I have a DVI TFT and the "fixed aspect ratio scaling" does the trick nicely, and my TFT does NOT have a menu for those settings.

But of course with an analog signal its completely up to the display to do the scaling (or not to), and the adapter cannot do anything about it.

Only thing I still want from the driver is to enable POWER-OF-TWO scaling.. I mean what the freaking h*ll is up with bilinear scaling a 800x600 image to 1600x1200? If I wanted blur I wouldhave bought a cheaper display ;) It's a completely usable gaming rez for special purposes, but not when its filtered to steaming dogpiles.

RowaN
10-11-04, 04:26 PM
I've tried EVERYTHING, but I still experience the problem. Check out the cropped screenshot.. I want it to display like it does on the left (1x1 pixel has become 4x4 pixels), but no matter WHAT settings I choose in the NVidia control panel, the scaling is ALWAYS interpolated (image on the right). This applies to both fullscreen and windowed stuff. I even tried the custom application profiles to disable interpolation but it makes no difference.
http://www.ibrand.co.uk/screen.gif

particleman
10-11-04, 04:55 PM
Yeah I have a DVI TFT and the "fixed aspect ratio scaling" does the trick nicely, and my TFT does NOT have a menu for those settings.

But of course with an analog signal its completely up to the display to do the scaling (or not to), and the adapter cannot do anything about it.

Only thing I still want from the driver is to enable POWER-OF-TWO scaling.. I mean what the freaking h*ll is up with bilinear scaling a 800x600 image to 1600x1200? If I wanted blur I wouldhave bought a cheaper display ;) It's a completely usable gaming rez for special purposes, but not when its filtered to steaming dogpiles.

I double that notion. Interpolation/blurring stinks.

Randell
10-12-04, 06:21 PM
RowaN are you using DVI input to the LCD?

RowaN
10-12-04, 08:22 PM
Yes, DVI-D.

Randell
10-13-04, 02:56 AM
well that's odd, my LCD also has no OSD scaling options and my 9700Pro always interpolated, but my 6800GT gives me the controls I need without interpoling via the CP.

fivefeet8
10-13-04, 03:29 AM
Well, he says he has a geforce 4 ti so maybe they don't have the option. I'm also able to center the display with no scaling on my 6800ultra + LCD on DVI.

RowaN
10-13-04, 07:32 AM
For all those of you saying that you have managed to get a non interpolated display. Consider that it is possible that what you are seeing IS interpolated, but you just do not notice it - look at the interpolated screengrab I posted... at first glance it doesnt seem interpolated, because you can clearly see the defined scaled up pixels (although they are ever so slightly blurred). It is not untill you see the screengrab next to it that you notice the clarity and sharpness you are missing.

I have an expensive LCD panel connected via DVI and expect razor/pin sharp detail, not crummy blurred interpolated crap. ARGHHGHGHGHGH!

fivefeet8
10-13-04, 01:30 PM
For all those of you saying that you have managed to get a non interpolated display. Consider that it is possible that what you are seeing IS interpolated, but you just do not notice it - look at the interpolated screengrab I posted... at first glance it doesnt seem interpolated, because you can clearly see the defined scaled up pixels (although they are ever so slightly blurred). It is not untill you see the screengrab next to it that you notice the clarity and sharpness you are missing.

I have an expensive LCD panel connected via DVI and expect razor/pin sharp detail, not crummy blurred interpolated crap. ARGHHGHGHGHGH!

It's razor sharp when I choose the 1024x768 'Centered' option. The text and icons look exactly the same as when I'm using the native 1280x1024 resolution of my LCD.

RowaN
10-14-04, 08:01 AM
But I'm guessing the game you are running actually outputs 1024x768? Try an old game, or an emulator (ZSNES, MAME, WinUAE) where the resolution will be scaled up - see if you get the same interpolation problem as me.