PDA

View Full Version : What will NV do about the Personal Cinema series?

ragejg
10-07-04, 05:04 PM
This isn't a complaint thread, I'd just like to discuss this with you all...

Poor Personal Cinema series...

They never really took market share, their packages lacked refinement, and the prices were always a bit high.

Hmm, will NV re-look at how they're doing this?

Or will they continue the "slap a midrange core on, clock it down, and throw on the slowest TSOP memory you can find" tradition??

Time will tell, but I'd just like to start a thread about this, as I'm sure a few of you out there have handled Personal Cinema cards... and you're left wanting more...

PoorGuy
10-07-04, 05:18 PM
This is the only market segment in which nVidia is clearly #2.

Perhaps nVidia corporate doesn't think they can dent into ATi's all-in-wonder and content to produce a "standard product."

I'm sure ChrisRay has more to say on this.

ChrisRay
10-07-04, 05:24 PM
I think the 5700 Personal Cinema was really Nvidias first attempt at this market and taking it seriously. When you look at the software they are providing with the 5700 Personal Cinema and previous packages you can really tell they are starting to take this market more seriously.

My expectation is we will see some 6600GT Personal Cinema and 6600 Non GT Personal Cinema cards in the next 6 months ((Which would be a great deal IMO)

NVidias Multimedia center has a come long way since the introduction of the original Personal Cinema line. My brother is using the 5700 Personal Cinema and loving it. I'm not too sure about a 6800 Ultra Personal Cinema. I dont think a card like that would be feasible. Although a 6800NU Personal Cinema might be doable. Nvidia is taking this market seriously though, But they can only release so many products, Usually multimedia graphic cards are released well after the original product.

ragejg
10-07-04, 05:56 PM
If only the 5900 Personal Cinema would make a US appearance.... :(

bkswaney
10-07-04, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking right now u will not see any 6800 PC.

Heck they STILL have not fixed the video precessor. :fu: :bs:

I wondering now if it's ever going to be fixed.
I think if it's not a nice class action lawsuit may be in order.

Cota
10-07-04, 06:23 PM
AFAIK there is still no hard evidence that the nv40 video processor is faulty.

As before I think nvidia will base the personal cinema line on mid range gpu's like the 6600/6600gt. But there are rumors that personal cinema will be a daughter card so you can use it with any video card or at least nvidia's.

vläd
10-07-04, 07:45 PM
I'm currently doing research for building a Home Theatre PC. From what I've read around the forums for HTPCs both nVidia and ATI are working "closely" with MS for the XPMCE OS. I think that the Personal Cinema series will probably evolve into Media Center series.

How closely, or how deligently nVidia is working on this, I have no idea. But you can check out nVidia's press release here. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_14364.html)

I really think that the Media Center PCs will become VERY big in the next few years. I certainly hope that I will be able buy a nVidia package that will be competitive for the Media Center PC. Just think.... SLI for a HDTV! :dance: