PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Card Died - Heat probs?

theultimo
10-07-04, 07:31 PM
Heh, RMAing my BFG 6800OC because it would not post and random BSOD/lockups resulting from the card. Heh, Checked this pc out with another 6800 (BFG 6800GT OC)my friend has, and it worked just fine.

All i can think of is: it was playing Far Cry at the time, and my 1st freeze up happend with the card. It never worked the same again. Was it a heating problem? Or just a bum card? Was wondering what I should do once i get my new one.

The card was running around ~60C under full load, but not sure if that completely accurate. Never OC/ed, ecpt for BFG OC.

My PSU is a 431W Enermax, w/20A on the 12V.

bkswaney
10-07-04, 07:55 PM
Could have been heat.
Mine gets way to hot.

Hallowed
10-07-04, 11:18 PM
I've had two 6800GT's die on me.

I discovered the reason is that they do not take well to excessively high 12v rails or those with a lot of ripple or flux.

I was running a modified TTGI 520SS at the time.

I have heard of other users who have Tagan PSU's (same PCB and components) and their cards have died as well, however they had left their supplies at stock volts.

Although it is at best speculation at this time, I surmised that there may be some harmonic or other minute flaw in the PSU causing 6800 deaths.

My symptoms went as following:

Card Ran Fine.
Card Blacked out.
Reboot worked ok... another blackout in 3D
Reboot, blackout in 2D
Dead screen (no BIOS).

I just got a PC Power & Cooling Unit and my card has ran great for a week now, so we will see.

bkswaney
10-08-04, 01:05 AM
I've had two 6800GT's die on me.

I discovered the reason is that they do not take well to excessively high 12v rails or those with a lot of ripple or flux.

I was running a modified TTGI 520SS at the time.

I have heard of other users who have Tagan PSU's (same PCB and components) and their cards have died as well, however they had left their supplies at stock volts.

Although it is at best speculation at this time, I surmised that there may be some harmonic or other minute flaw in the PSU causing 6800 deaths.

My symptoms went as following:

Card Ran Fine.
Card Blacked out.
Reboot worked ok... another blackout in 3D
Reboot, blackout in 2D
Dead screen (no BIOS).

I just got a PC Power & Cooling Unit and my card has ran great for a week now, so we will see.

How long did each card last?
Now you have me worried.
I've had 2 blackouts now.Rebooted and all seems fine.