PDA

View Full Version : Bios flashing 6800NU

BENCHMARKMAN
10-08-04, 10:56 AM
I want to try and flash my BFG 6800NU to 1.3volts to see if I can get all 16 pipelines working. Currently I don't have any problems except in Star Wars Battlefront and I can't overclock due to stress test failing. Is there a windows based program that will allow me to edit or at least save my bios so I can edit it? I don't have a floppy drive so I can't use NvFlash. Thanks

saturnotaku
10-08-04, 11:01 AM
If the softmod failed for you, a BIOS flash will do absolutely nothing except potentially screw up your card to the point of rendering it inoperable.

ihiktacos
10-08-04, 11:59 AM
1. Indeed, if the softmod in RivaTuner 15.2 doesn't work, i.e you get artifacts after opening up the pipelines a flash won't help.

2. You can turn off the stress test in RivaTuner if you want to overclock.
Go to Power User -> \NVIDIA\Overclocking and set DistableInternalClockTest to 1.

3. You can still use NVflash without a floppy, just make a bootable CDROM with the bios images on it as well as NVflash.

Hope this helps

theultimo
10-08-04, 12:01 PM
Bah, BIOS flashing is useless now, unless you want to up the core voltage.

BENCHMARKMAN
10-08-04, 12:29 PM
Bah, BIOS flashing is useless now, unless you want to up the core voltage.

That is what I said I wanted to do is up the volts. Some people have gotten the softmod to work if they up the volts.

saturnotaku
10-08-04, 12:34 PM
Some people have gotten the softmod to work if they up the volts.

Do you have a link? I'm not trying to say you're lying, I'm genuinely curious.

BENCHMARKMAN
10-08-04, 01:33 PM
It was somewhere in all the pages of softmodding stuff at Guru3d. They have like 5 threads there each 20 pages long and I don't really remember which thread it was in. I do remember Unwinder saying something about trying to up the volts or something like if you have tried upping the volts and it still does not work then you are out of luck.

ihiktacos
10-08-04, 02:43 PM
Check the program called Nibitor (formely OmniEditExtreme or so) at www.mvktech.net . That allows you to change the voltages in your bios. But read the instructions etc carefully to not get stuck with a busted card!

bkswaney
10-08-04, 02:59 PM
Check the program called Nibitor (formely OmniEditExtreme or so) at www.mvktech.net . That allows you to change the voltages in your bios. But read the instructions etc carefully to not get stuck with a busted card!

Yep.... it works great to. :)
I upped my voltage to 1.4 on the card I had.

This new one does 400/1100 at stock voltage. ;)

BENCHMARKMAN
10-08-04, 03:36 PM

I know about that program but like I asked for a WINDOWS based flasher, not DOS because I don't have a floppy.

bkswaney
10-08-04, 03:52 PM
I know about that program but like I asked for a WINDOWS based flasher, not DOS because I don't have a floppy.

Man there is no way in hell I would use a windows based flasher
on a video card.
If you have a bad flash you then have a 3 to 400 dollar paper weight.

Just pickup a floppy for about 10 bucks.

BENCHMARKMAN
10-08-04, 04:26 PM
The point is I don't want a floppy drive. I've never had a problem with windows based flasher and I'm willing to take the risk, which I believe there is none.

mezkal
10-08-04, 04:31 PM

Hey sorry to make you look silly, but you obviously don't "know about that program". OmniEditX is a windows app. You load a previously dowloaded or backup-ed BIOS and edit within the program. Then you save it and flash it with something else. I think there was a link to a version of NVidia's BIOS Flasher app for Windows posted here or on Guru3D. Look for recent posts with the words "BIOS", "Nvidia" and "Flash". You won't miss the post when you see it.

Cheers,

Mezkal

BENCHMARKMAN
10-08-04, 05:32 PM
Would you mind telling me where I can get this Nvidia Flash app for windows? I've search and I don't see anything about it. Thanks

Cota
10-08-04, 05:47 PM
some one posted a link for the nvidia bios flash for windows do a search in the forum

BENCHMARKMAN
10-08-04, 05:50 PM
I have and the only thing that comes up is my post.

ihiktacos
10-08-04, 06:00 PM
Try this site:

http://whitebunny.demon.nl/hardware/chipset_nvidia.html

it's got Nvidia tools you might be able to use.

And again, you dont need a floppy to flash, burn a bootable cd with the nvflash on it. Much safer than flashing in Windows I would guess, especially if something goes wrong you probably need to boot into some DOS mode anyways.