PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia SLI Benchmark Results

Pages : [1] 2

GamerGuyX
10-08-04, 09:30 PM
Just found this on Gamespot. Read the full article HERE (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/08/news_6110146.html)

Nvidia demonstrates next-generation nForce SLI systems at World Cyber Games, early SLI performance results revealed.

Just over three months after announced that it was bringing back SLI, graphics manufacturer Nvidia had several operational SLI systems on display in its exhibition tent at this week's World Cyber Games event in San Francisco. Set up in a Doom 3 kiosk, WCG visitors were free to walk up and play Doom 3 on any of the SLI demonstration machines.

Representatives from Nvidia shared SLI performance numbers by running a handful of benchmarks on a single-CPU 2.4Ghz AMD Opteron 250 system based on an undisclosed next-generation nForce chipset with two GeForce 6800 GT PCI-Express video cards running in SLI mode. Note that these preliminary SLI scores are from a very fast AMD Opteron 250 processor--comparable to the desktop Athlon 64 3700+ and Athlon 64 FX-53 processors.

The Opteron 250 GeForce 6800 GT SLI system scored an impressive 8,081 points in the recently released 3DMark05 benchmark. In comparison, a single GeForce 6800 GT scored 4,452 points on a slower 2.8GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor in a recent GameSpot 3DMark05 test. The SLI system also scored 18,176 points in 3DMark03, roughly 7,000 points higher than the average score for a single GeForce 6800 GT card.

According to Nvidia, production cards will have significantly higher scores because the rough drivers used in the demonstration system were originally built for the Intel "Tumwater" E7525 chipset and were not yet "tuned" for the AMD platform.

Xav
10-09-04, 12:53 AM
SLI.... :drooling: Me wants

K007
10-09-04, 01:05 AM
Wow..imagine when you o/c? Jeez cant wait man, i am gonna get 2 Ultra's on SLI..faark come on nvidia hurry up and get the 2 cards out ^^.

bkswaney
10-09-04, 03:03 AM
:drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

Sazar
10-09-04, 03:06 AM

opteron and sli :eek:

MUYA
10-09-04, 03:35 AM
hmm that leads to an interesting tought.....Phase Change Cooled SLI setups!!!

hmmmm would be a challenge but..

Omega53
10-09-04, 04:16 AM
This should be posted over @ rage3d so those SLI bashing tards can see the true potential of this.

K007
10-09-04, 04:53 AM
I got someone who has a ati card x800pro modded to XT (its a vivo card), and hes so proud of his 05 mark score which he says he gets 5800, and that sli is a waste.

What i dont understand is, how dum someone can be. He dosent talk about the o3 mark, because the 03 for him is still the same before those new ati drivers that boosted the 05 scores..seriously, if you look at the score of 18k on a sli GT system...we all know that is very very impressive, 8k on 05...wow.

He goes on to say how nvidia needs to sli cards to get to a score of 8k while a x800xt can get 8k on its own..he forgets to mention that the core of the xt was clocked at 800mhz and was using dry ice to cool it the core..i dont think that the card can do more than 5 mins in doom3 because of the heat...the point is, they go to all that degree while a un o/c GT can score easily 8k :).

I for one am looking forward to SLI. I want to get Ultra SLI, and i hope there wont be any o/c problems because man or man..if thats a GT score..imagine a Ultra Extreme score ^^? We all know that nvidia gpu core is slower than ati core yet scores nearly the same :).

noko
10-09-04, 08:08 AM
I can see a SLI configuration for my next major upgrade if they still exist late 2005 early 2006. If ATI has a configuration by then maybe they will win me over but otherwise Nvidia will be driving my graphics a very long time. ATI's knock of SLI is probably based on their lack of shader model 3 ability. Nvidia's NV40 cards will play any SM3 game which will be the standard for the next 2-3 years. Nvidia's Ultra/GT SLI setup will beat any current and refresh of ATI cards easily and maybe ATI's next generation chip. Nvidia I see will indeed have the performance crown hands down shortly for those who need or want it. ATI is starting to look behind the times I say.

Darth Flatus
10-09-04, 09:40 AM
For a cheap guy like me to be ability to get a dual x16 slot mobo soon and 1 card (gt or ultra) and then add the second card for sli a year or two down the line when prices have plummeted is a great option.

Marcos
10-09-04, 12:34 PM
This should be posted over @ rage3d so those SLI bashing tards can see the true potential of this.

cant wait to see what a hamixasshole has to say

SH64
10-09-04, 12:39 PM
*Starts saving for an nForce4 + FX-53 + Dual SLI 6800GTs * (mag)

Schumi4ever
10-09-04, 05:12 PM
Would love to have the fx-55 with sli 6800ultra extreme :drooling:

K007
10-09-04, 11:02 PM
I wonder what kind of cooling they will have on the gpu's..i mean we all know the Ultra one takes 2 slots to cool..they come up with a mircale cooling system with less space?

Omega53
10-09-04, 11:23 PM
I wonder what kind of cooling they will have on the gpu's..i mean we all know the Ultra one takes 2 slots to cool..they come up with a mircale cooling system with less space?

Maybe use the 6800GT cooler with copper instead of aluminum?

daos
10-10-04, 12:13 AM
nah, i would definatly go the NV5 silencer route cause it dissipates the heat outside the case. this would prove to be a tremendous advantage in this situation.

borntosoul
10-10-04, 07:56 PM
id like to know how much power these things going to draw, probably recommend 600w power supply

grimreefer
10-10-04, 08:18 PM
i know.
its gonna be awhile till a game utilizes the full potential of ps3.0, so their gonna be bashing that too.
pisses me off :bash:

Subtestube
10-10-04, 08:28 PM

Almost every pic of SLI stuff I've seen has room for dual slot coolers. When they first announced it and showed a shot of two Quadro 4000s (which are, AFAIK, single slot), they both had far more room than they needed. Two Ultra's fit fine. I'd be worried about heat dissipation from the one that's immediately below the other than the actual fitting them in.

peeon
10-13-04, 01:08 AM
www.hardocp.com
Announcements.

Diamond_G
10-13-04, 06:58 AM
well at least the 10k score for 3dmark05 i saw floating about somewhere isn't too far from the truth... imagine oc'ing the cards and the score increase from that!

saturnotaku
10-13-04, 07:19 AM
heck, even 8x AGP could hand dual GPUs I bet.

The AGP specification itself doesn't allow it, doesn't matter what speed it is. The Voodoo5 AGP actually ran in PCI mode. And the ATI Rage Fury MAXX was one AGP chip and the other was PCI.

Socos
10-13-04, 07:30 AM
Wow..imagine when you o/c? Jeez cant wait man, i am gonna get 2 Ultra's on SLI..faark come on nvidia hurry up and get the 2 cards out ^^.

I am not for certain OC can be done with an SLI setup. From what I understand the cards have to be identical. I would also assume that would mean they would both have to be running at the same clock. Shouldn't be that hard to do, but it will be interesting to see how stable it will run.

I think if you can afford it... Go for it!! (mag)

OWA
10-13-04, 07:52 AM
Nice results. Like someone else mentioned already, a little better than I expected.

K007
10-13-04, 10:05 AM
I put a thread over at rage3d about the SLI power, and what ATi would to do counter Nvidia's SLI...thread was deleted..rofl :lame: