PDA

View Full Version : Hey someone help ! I froze my GPU !

da-key
10-09-04, 12:36 AM
I am trying to peltier a 6800 Ultra/NV40 so far the card goes to a temperature of 24 degrees and auto throttles the same as if it were overheating.

I have read that this happens at any temp lower than 25 degrees. I would like to be able to get to around minus 5 or 10 celcius and have heard that Rivatuner can fix this for me. Is this true? Is that the only way?

I have Riva Tuner installed but am not too familiar with it. Anyone have the specifics on this? I would be much obliged for a good solution. :bash: :super:

Darkoz
10-09-04, 09:29 AM
It never ceases to amaze me at what people want to do with their video card.
If you were trying to write a code for the laws of quantum physics or calculate the expansion of the universe then maybe there would be a need to run hardware at below freezing.

But it's only a bloody video card for ****' s sake.

Eltigre88
10-09-04, 10:35 AM
Running peltier is great but you can only keep the GPU at the temp of the case if you go below that temp you will have condensation problems. We all know what water and electricity do!

steveuk
10-09-04, 10:40 AM
Yes, water and electricity are best friends <3

ragejg
10-09-04, 10:44 AM
It never ceases to amaze me at what people want to do with their video card.
If you were trying to write a code for the laws of quantum physics or calculate the expansion of the universe then maybe there would be a need to run hardware at below freezing.

But it's only a bloody video card for ****' s sake.

Nice attitude. Obviously you wouldn't fit in well @ xtremesystems.org...

Help out or move on...

da-key
10-09-04, 01:17 PM
(mag)

Lol Anyone have any info on maybe a solution here.

Condensation will not be an issue. I am guilty of mass overkill and would not allow one drop of moisture to rot anything electronic. Here is a pic of a previous rig now in use on another machine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/AeroSquid/JuicedPC.jpg

I assembled it from scratch keeps temps at 19C fully loaded. I have sold this and built new cooling.

I took alot of time insulating and protecting every part going into the loop. Previously I had not cooled my video card except by air. I have decided to freeze it this time around. My temps will be around -10 to -20 C, this whole frozen project will be done in a week and I need a fix for the NV40. I will post pics once I have it completed.

Thanks for any help hear! :)

ragejg
10-09-04, 01:40 PM
Wow. Friggin' tight. :thumbsup:

da-key
10-09-04, 07:28 PM
:smoking2:
I will get some pics of this in the apprpriate thread when I get some with lights off.
It looks so good in the dark with the clear fridge door.
I am sad its going away but at least its a close mate and I can visit. (bud)
Working hard to get the new solution tricked out. Next weekend Ill have time for posting some bench screens and new pics.

SH64
10-10-04, 06:16 AM
Cool ! .. time for some overclocking & 3dmark2005 benchies ;)

LbSoDB
10-10-04, 08:00 AM
da-key thats looks very nice.

NightFire
10-10-04, 10:19 AM
I don't have too much experiance also, but its always worth a shot to try Rivatuner.

If you really want to keep your system cool, take it to Pluto. -396 degrees F baby, so cold the atmosphere freezes half of the time and falls to the surface as a solid! :p

da-key
10-10-04, 11:29 AM
Nice remarks thanks. Ill get some Glowing in the Dark photos soon. :lol2:

Riva Tuner didn't work but maybe the latest version has fixed that. Has Anyone tried this yet?

TheSmJ
10-11-04, 05:37 AM
You can mod the BIOS's throttle settings to the same settings as what you clock everything else at.

It'll still try to throttle back, but doing so won't have any effect.

da-key
10-11-04, 08:56 AM
Well that is good news, has anyone tried this approach that you know of?

Ill probably end up having several bios with different clocks if this works.

Thanks for the input!

TheSmJ
10-11-04, 12:39 PM
Well I haven't tried it myself, but I do know the BIOS editor I used to mod my GT to 1.4v has the option to change what the card is throttled back to.

da-key
10-11-04, 03:22 PM
Hi is that the same one i use NiBiTor v1.7. from www.mvktech.net?