PDA

View Full Version : 6800 GT vs X800 XT

Pages : [1] 2 3

DanCanovas
10-09-04, 10:25 AM
hi guys, just need some advice. Ive had a year out from computer upgrades and stuff but now HL2 approaches, Im thinking about upgrading my 9800 Pro. Only problem is, I come back and all hells broken loose. Just want some advice on which is the best to get. they both seem better depending on the game or synthetic benchmark.
6800 GT vs X800 XT
6800 Ultra vs X800 XT PE

Thanks for your help guys.
Dan

Templar
10-09-04, 11:27 AM
Either card rox.

Simon

circuitbreaker8
10-09-04, 01:04 PM
hi guys, just need some advice. Ive had a year out from computer upgrades and stuff but now HL2 approaches, Im thinking about upgrading my 9800 Pro. Only problem is, I come back and all hells broken loose. Just want some advice on which is the best to get. they both seem better depending on the game or synthetic benchmark.
6800 GT vs X800 XT
6800 Ultra vs X800 XT PE

Thanks for your help guys.
Dan

Well, the x800xt is not meant to compete with the 6800GT. The XT beats the GT in almost everything ( excluding doom 3 ), but the X800 Pro ( card thats meant to compete with the GT ) usually looses most game tests. Now, the 6800 Ultra and the X800 XT PE are the main "top dogs". You cant go wrong with either one of those, they are both pretty much on the same level, just comes down to what features you want. If you can afford it, I would go with the X800 XT PE :D Dont let any of that Pixel Shader 3 crap make up your mind, PS2b is just as good hehe.

Cali3350
10-09-04, 01:08 PM
Their close. Before id had said 6800GT no questions (when i bought mine), but their close. Seeing as how a 800 is $329 at fry's...there ya go. God speed.

DanCanovas
10-09-04, 01:14 PM
yeah thats the impression I got. I think ill probably go with the GT and ill overclock it (hopefully) to Ultra levels anyway.

anzak
10-09-04, 02:09 PM
I would recommend the following cards for the following prices

$300 - Geforce 6800
$400 - Geforce 6800 GT
$450 - X800XT (If you can find one)
$500 - X800XT PE (same as above)

IMHO if you can find a X800XT (non PE) go for it. The high clock speeds give it a nice advantage in shader heavy situations. Otherwise get the GT.

kahloq
10-09-04, 03:35 PM
Well, the x800xt is not meant to compete with the 6800GT. The XT beats the GT in almost everything ( excluding doom 3 ), but the X800 Pro ( card thats meant to compete with the GT ) usually looses most game tests. Now, the 6800 Ultra and the X800 XT PE are the main "top dogs". You cant go wrong with either one of those, they are both pretty much on the same level, just comes down to what features you want. If you can afford it, I would go with the X800 XT PE :D Dont let any of that Pixel Shader 3 crap make up your mind, PS2b is just as good hehe.

The part in BOLD is a false statement. PS2b is not as good as PS3.0 Yes, PS2b can do many of the same things as PS3.0, just with multiple passes, whereas PS3.0 would take ONE pass. There are functions and features of PS3.0 that CANNOT be done at all in PS2b. But the truth beyond that is, that not many games support PS3.0 YET!!!!, but many are coming. Also of great note is that ATI is making their next gen card(the r5xxx series) a PS3.0 part. They wouldnt do that if PS3.0 was not better then 2b.

As far as the x800XT beating the GT in almost everything but opengl, thats not accurate either. They are alot closer then the author is giving the impression of. Now the x800 pro is soundly beaten by the GT in almost everything. The 6800 ultra of course beats the XT, but the XT-PE is a fair comparison...with the XT-PE taking the lead in some D3D titles by a very slim margin. However, NO ATI card is near as good in opengl and nvidia's cards sweep the floor up in the area. The problems with sites comparing ATI to nvidia's is usually that the site is biased towards one card or the other. So when they might overclock an ATI and post that its better and faster then an nvidia card, they neglect to mention that the ATI is overclocked, but generally mention that the nvidia card was run at stock speeds.

PSYCHODAD
10-09-04, 03:50 PM
6800 Ultra vs X800 XT PE

"Both of these are very hard to find right now"

Sazar
10-09-04, 03:55 PM
Either card rox.

Simon

what he said...

dan2097
10-09-04, 04:39 PM
Now the x800 pro is soundly beaten by the GT in almost everything. The 6800 ultra of course beats the XT, but the XT-PE is a fair comparison...with the XT-PE taking the lead in some D3D titles by a very slim margin. However, NO ATI card is near as good in opengl and nvidia's cards sweep the floor up in the area. The problems with sites comparing ATI to nvidia's is usually that the site is biased towards one card or the other. So when they might overclock an ATI and post that its better and faster then an nvidia card, they neglect to mention that the ATI is overclocked, but generally mention that the nvidia card was run at stock speeds.

Not really the 6800GT is usually only a bit ahead of the X800 pro, it definitly doesn't soundly beat it. The 6800 ultra also doesnt neccesarily beat the X800XT, the two are pretty similar. The X800XT isnt much slower than the X800XT PE and the X800XT PE is generally considered to lead the 6800 ultra.

The XT PE takes the lead from the ultra in the majority of direct3d games using max playable settings testing methodology albeit usually not by much at all.

When dealing with high end cards Nvidia opengl lead becomes far more theoeretical, both can usually play with settings maxed out, the vast majority of new games are direct3d. Fortunatly ATI have now got their doom3 performance up to a reasonable level (I believe the X800XTPE is now comparable to the 6800GT but not entirely sure about that)

Also take into account ATIs 6xfsaa mode especially if your not going to game at 1600x1200.

Fam Money
10-09-04, 05:05 PM
I'm a nVidia fan but seeing how you're looking forward to HL2 I say go with ATI. They seem like they are going to be ones running HL2 the best like NV does Doom3.

But like it was said before all the current higher end stuff rocks.

grimreefer
10-09-04, 09:58 PM
a 6800u can flash to a ultra extreme, which is the best card overall
kills in opengl, edges ahead the x800xt in dx9

K007
10-09-04, 10:06 PM
I play CS Source right now on 32 player maps, 1024 res , 4xaa 8xaf, runs fine, lowest fps is 35-40 during heavy battles. I normally play on 800x600 as well (Big heads :D)

Its better go with the gf6 nvidia series because they do have support for sm3, i mean..why pay the same price for old technology?

kahloq
10-09-04, 10:44 PM
a 6800u can flash to a ultra extreme, which is the best card overall
kills in opengl, edges ahead the x800xt in dx9

No need to flash really most ultras will do extreme speeds without any bios or voltage adjustments.

daos
10-09-04, 11:04 PM
No need to flash really most ultras will do extreme speeds without any bios or voltage adjustments.

this is the truth. i bought a 6800GT because it performs just like the Ultras when overclocked. my card AUTO detects at 403/1140 which is much higher on the memory side of the Ultras.

i definatly suggest the GT over the X800XT Press Edition ;)

XP_GUN
10-09-04, 11:19 PM
^ same here I just got a GT to save me the $100 for a ultra when overclocked.

CaptNKILL
10-09-04, 11:23 PM
My GT saved me over $200... :D

anzak
10-10-04, 12:07 AM
Its better go with the gf6 nvidia series because they do have support for sm3, i mean..why pay the same price for old technology?

Old technology? The X800 series is not old technology nor is SM2.0b if that's what your referring to.

this is the truth. i bought a 6800GT because it performs just like the Ultras when overclocked. my card AUTO detects at 403/1140 which is much higher on the memory side of the Ultras.

i definatly suggest the GT over the X800XT Press Edition ;)

Yeah that's one awesome overclock. :rolleyes: That should put it about on par with a 6800 Ultra. Keep that in mind.

Now everyone knows that programmable shaders are the future. Now to running the long shaders of the future will take a high fill rate because well shaders need a high fill rate. Far Cry is currently the shader heaviest D3D game. Here is a few charts from Firingsquad's X800XT review.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/sapphire_radeon_x800_xt_agp_review/images/j1280.gif

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/sapphire_radeon_x800_xt_agp_review/images/j1600.gif

The minimum FPS @ 1280x1024 is:

X800XT - 59fps
6800GT - 45fps

Almost a 15fps difference in the minimum fps is VERY noticeable in Far Cry. If you would like to take a look at the review your self here it is (http://firingsquad.com/hardware/sapphire_radeon_x800_xt_agp_review/default.asp). The XT has a nice lead over the 6800 Ultra much less the GT even in OpenGL. This is not even including overclock which should bring it up to PE speeds. Now what was that you were saying about how you would rather have a GT instead of a X800XT?

ChrisRay
10-10-04, 01:18 AM
Anzak you are quite aware that Far Cry performance is very dependent on which scene you are in, Some scenes are more vertex limited, While some are more pixel Limited.

Jungle scene (Out door scenes) Are more CPU/Vertex Limited than they are Pixel Shader limited, Thus coming to the conclusion that one is faster than another in DX 9.0 based off a sole Far Cry map (jungle for instance) is pretty much one sided argument. You can take research areas or Volcano in the heavily pixel shaded areas and showing the other cards coming ahead as well, But it definately using one vertex limited scenerio and declaring one card as a pixel shader king definately is a blind sided argument.

It's fair to say the X800XT has great vertex shading speed, And thats for the entire X800 Line, But to use one scenerio, and basing the opinion off a benchmark like this, (Paticularly on a single map), There are always going to be instances where one card performs well. And ATIS vertex shader performance should be acknowledged,

But rolling your eyes at someone and providing a single benchmark, Doesnt really help a discussion like this.

DanCanovas
10-10-04, 02:34 AM
its decision time then. I have a choice and both are available.

Galaxy Glacier Geforce 6800 GT

OR

ATI Radeon X800 XT

what do u reckon.. have a vote or something.

jimmyjames123
10-10-04, 02:49 AM
Almost a 15fps difference in the minimum fps is VERY noticeable in Far Cry.

Obviously that result is not typical in general. An X800 Pro edged out the 6800 Ultra in that test! Two main things to keep in mind here: 1) differences in FarCry performance will depend to a large degree on what map is being tested, and 2) that test was run with 16xAF, and ATI's X800 cards seem to have very heavily "optimized" filtering which at times appears to give them an advantage in fps (albeit not necessarily image quality) with higher AF settings.

dan2097
10-10-04, 04:47 AM
its decision time then. I have a choice and both are available.

Galaxy Glacier Geforce 6800 GT

OR

ATI Radeon X800 XT

what do u reckon.. have a vote or something.

What are the prices on the two cards?

DanCanovas
10-10-04, 05:04 AM
Gt...280
X800xt 318

Delbert
10-10-04, 05:46 AM
go get a BFG 6800GT OC from here..

http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/bfgr68256gtocuk :nanahump:

267 inc VAT :lol2: and in stock now.... :nanahump:

I would get one myself... but need a new system to take advantage ( 250W PSU :lame: )

DanCanovas
10-10-04, 07:41 AM
yeah i saw that. Problem is im at uni and they will only deliver to home address..