PDA

View Full Version : VGA Silencer sucks?

Pages : [1] 2

Chippy
10-09-04, 12:36 PM
Is this normal? I just noticed that my VGA Silencer 5 - fitted to my GF6800GT is *sucking* air into the case, rather than blowing it out.

The little plug for the fan is plugged in the right way around, but nevertheless, this does seem very odd.

Temps are OK - perhaps 8 or 9c lower than with the stock fan. But still, is this right?

What happens with your VGA Silencers?

Cheers

Chip

bkswaney
10-09-04, 12:59 PM
I've seen many post on this.
I have one on the way... I sure hope
mine blows and does not suck.
I only like ladies sucking. :rofl: :D

Mojoe
10-09-04, 02:33 PM
Well with mine i got about 20c lower temps at 425/1150, it stays about 64c load.

Chippy
10-09-04, 04:05 PM
Well with mine i got about 20c lower temps at 425/1150, it stays about 64c load.

And...

Does it blow, or suck?

Chip

Buio
10-09-04, 04:17 PM
I have the NV Silencer 5, and no, it doesn't suck in air from the outside.

It clearly blows air out, it is quite noticable even when I run at 50% fanspeed (which I do normally) to have it as quite as possible.

jAkUp
10-09-04, 04:22 PM
Mine blows air out. The air going out is very warm.

Slammin
10-09-04, 05:04 PM
It's pretty hard to actually 'feel' the air on mine, but I can definitely feel the heat coming out of those holes. I still contend that if you don't feel anything coming out, then you have some really powerful exhaust fans in your case and not enough intake fans.

Then again, maybe there are a batch of NV5's with the fan leads reversed.

Chippy
10-10-04, 04:01 AM
I still contend that if you don't feel anything coming out, then you have some really powerful exhaust fans in your case and not

It can't be that Slammin. The reason I am asking this question is because I couldn't feel any air flow coming out of the back of the case. So I took the side off the PC and held my hand near the fan on the Silencer. And it is blowing air into the case - quite strongly.

Since this is with the side of the PC off, it can't be anything to do with air pressure in the case.

There is obviously something seriously wrong with VGA Silencer quality control. Somewhere in China - or wherever - people are banging these things together with no idea that it actually *matters* which way around you put the fan wires :-(

The real pain about this is that the VGA Silencer partially covers the fan connector on my BFG. So I will have to remove the damned thing in order to try to change the connector around. Not amused!

Chip

Alex T.
10-10-04, 04:14 AM
"It's the SuckCut...as you can see, it sucks as it cuts!"

Wayne: "Well it certainly does suck..."

|_HeLL_|
10-10-04, 06:50 AM
Well, I bought a NV Silencer 5 yesterday and I think that mine is blowing air inside. I can't feel air comming out from the rear of the case, instead it's blowing air inside slowly. My temps are exactly the same with the stock cooler, around 56 idle, 76 load (clocked to ultra +modified POV bios to 1.4v). I removed the bad thermal paste and applied Artic silver 5 carefully... so I don't understand it. Let's see:

http://www.pcunleash.com/user/blueremy/04.jpg

Looking at this photo how is rotating your Silencer, clockwise or counter-clockwise? I own a POV 6800GT with the nvidia reference design, and is rotating clockwise. I think the right thing is rotating counter clock-wise, looking the angle of the blades... what do you think?

kasperisa
10-10-04, 08:57 AM
I've seen many post on this.
I have one on the way... I sure hope
mine blows and does not suck.
I only like ladies sucking. :rofl: :D

Your post makes the assumption that you like men who blow.

you know.. which is fine and all, not to offend your tastes, its a free world. Just thought I would point it out
(kngt)

wickfut
10-10-04, 10:04 AM
It can't be that Slammin. The reason I am asking this question is because I couldn't feel any air flow coming out of the back of the case. So I took the side off the PC and held my hand near the fan on the Silencer. And it is blowing air into the case - quite strongly.

nope - what you can feel is the air being blown a bit by the spinning fan - you will notice that the air being pumped out the back is warm yet the air near the fan is cold , its just turbulance inside your case

Chippy
10-10-04, 12:15 PM
nope - what you can feel is the air being blown a bit by the spinning fan - you will notice that the air being pumped out the back is warm yet the air near the fan is cold , its just turbulance inside your case

wickfut, please give it up. Please don't tell me what I can feel. If you put your hand in front of a hair drier, I think you can tell its blowing air on your hand, right?

Its the same with my VGA Silencer, OK. Its not "turbulence" LOL. Its *blowing* air into the case. It don't mean some little wispy wafty thing. I mean Blowing. Like the air coming out the back of your PSU, only more so. Blowing.

And there is no air being "pumped" out of the back of the VGA Silencer. Nothing.

I spent the whole afternoon taking the VGA Silencer off and reversing the polarity of the fan. Only to find it then didn't spin at all. I check the pins on the GF6800GT with a multimeter and (thank god!) there was 12v there. So I guessed there was something wrong with the VGA Silencer. I then took it off again and could get the fan to spin at all even with a battery. I took the VGA Silencer to pieces to see if I could figure it out but the fan is like stuck on to the plastic case - there seemed now way to get at the electronics. Anyway, I found out there must be a diode at the fan end of the wire connection. The fan will only spin one way and if you connect the power the wrong way around, you get nothing.

So for now, I have put the whole thing back together and at least it works, even if it is blowing air into the PC. I have mailed Artic Cooling to see what they say, but I am convinced my VGA Silencer is defective :-(

Chip.

wickfut
10-10-04, 12:57 PM
every single bit of air that the fan moves does not get sucked out the case

mine is similar - you can barely feel warm air comming out of the rear of the case but near the fan you get a large blow

maybe both ours are broke then ? im getting the same as you basically but its lowering my temps so im not anal about it

bkswaney
10-10-04, 01:00 PM
Your post makes the assumption that you like men who blow.

you know.. which is fine and all, not to offend your tastes, its a free world. Just thought I would point it out
(kngt)

WTF.... maybe to you. :bash: :fu: (newb) :rw:

|_HeLL_|
10-10-04, 04:00 PM
Chippy can you tell me the artic cooling email address? it's quite sure I'm at the exactly problem as you. Please keep me informed about what artic cooling people said at you.

Slammin
10-10-04, 04:28 PM
I just checked mine and I do see what you guys are saying. Feeling anywhere near the fan and you can feel a lot of cool air from the fan. Btw, my fan is spinning clockwise as well.

Still, my VN5 is working as it should and I think all that air you feel at the fan is due to the restriction of the heat sink and that this air is just blow-by. I still feel the heat at the exhaust holes and I get awesome cooling compared to the stock hsf.

wickfut
10-10-04, 05:52 PM
what direction does your fan go - mine rotates so the fan doesnt scoop the air , it must push it >??

daos
10-10-04, 06:03 PM
every single bit of air that the fan moves does not get sucked out the case

mine is similar - you can barely feel warm air comming out of the rear of the case but near the fan you get a large blow

maybe both ours are broke then ? im getting the same as you basically but its lowering my temps so im not anal about it

im with you. i cannot feel an extreme amount of air coming out the rear, although my temps are 20c cooler under load. its obviously doing its job. :)

anzak
10-10-04, 06:10 PM
The fan does not run at a very high rpm. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the speed? I would like to crank it up to 5500 rpm for some serious cooling. :firedevil

911medic
10-10-04, 09:21 PM
The fan does not run at a very high rpm. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the speed? I would like to crank it up to 5500 rpm for some serious cooling. :firedevil
Maybe Gainward's ExperTool would work? Version 3.18 allows me to adjust the speed on my stock BFG 6800GT. Don't know if it'd work with the NV5 tho...

http://www.gainward.com/html/download/utility/expertool/expertool.htm

I see they have a new version out now (3.20). Don't know if it still works with other cards or not.

Chippy
10-11-04, 02:34 AM

Maybe. Or maybe they are supposed to work this way? Its very odd. I will wait to see what Arctic Cooling say.

Like you, I am not *too* bothered as long as it works. However there is one significant downside to it working this way: Since there is no sort of filter on the back, the unit is going to get all clogged up with dust and crap pretty damend soon.

I had thought I could remedy the situation by simply switching the fan connector around the other way. But clearly there is more to it than that.

Chip

Sgt_Pitt
10-11-04, 05:50 AM
yep same with me, air is much stronger on the fan end, not much coming out the back.

Chippy
10-11-04, 05:54 AM
Maybe Gainward's ExperTool would work? Version 3.18 allows me to adjust the speed on my stock BFG 6800GT. Don't know if it'd work with the NV5 tho...

Can't see why not. 12v comes out of the 6800 at boot up and then it throttles back (to perhaps 6 or 7v? Guess? I haven't measured it.) And the VGA Silencer has a 12v fan on it. The Gainward tool will allow the card to output the full 12v, so it must speed the VGA Silencer's fan up too.

Chip

Darkoz
10-11-04, 06:49 AM
You should remember that the fan only spins at around 2400rpm so you're not going to feel a strong rush of air coming from the back.
Consider also that when feeling the air from the back, your hand is a good 7 or 8 inches from the fan. Whereas those feeling the air from under the fan itself, your hand is right next to the fan so I'm sure that if you held your hand 8 inches away from the fan you'd feel very little air blowing.