PDA

View Full Version : GRRRRRR 6800u overheating

Sgt_Pitt
10-10-04, 01:21 AM
well im totally fed up with the constant high temps of my msi nx6800u

today i was playing BFV and i started to get crackling and popping and texture flashes in the the game, i suspected heat so i exited the game and went straight to nvcpanel to see my temps in the mid 80's c. i know the card looses 10 degrees quickly so during the game it mustve been like mid 90's c

the ambient temp was like 63c, yes its a warm day here in melbourne.

i immediatley ripped the side off my case and returned the card to stock speeds from 425 to 400.

the card im looking at it now is idling on 65c the ambient temp with the side off my case is 43c

i dont care what anyone says but the card under load at 90c is not healthy (as i saw with the sound cracks and texture flashes)

i cant see how im gonna get this card to idle at 40 and run at 70c under load which would be perfect for me.

Im not happy with the stock cooling, ive even ripped off the heatsink and applied thermal paste again, but that didnt change the temps.

NOt happy nvidia !!!

anzak
10-10-04, 01:33 AM
That is really hot. I would recommend better case cooling. Proper ventilation is important. Other than that all I can recommend you do is buy an NV Silencer.

Omega53
10-10-04, 01:39 AM
Make sure the screws are tight.

Hellion
10-10-04, 03:25 AM
also, i noticed when you take the thermal pads off, and reapply the heatsink with normal as5 or so and so. the ram never fully touches the ramsinks. do to the screw bumps, once they touch the card from tightnening, they hold it JUST high enough for it to NOT touch, so i grinded the bumps downa a bit. and now it is all fine now. just be VERY carefull if you do as i have said. also make sure to clean up real well, and to not OVER tightnen the screws. because not the pressure will be on the ram, so when tightnening the heatsink on, youll put all that extra stress on them. so remember to tighten, but also allow the springs to do there job.

Sgt_Pitt
10-10-04, 09:09 AM
i remember when i first got my card, when the weather was cold it used to idle at 48-49, but now summer is almost upon melbourne its gonna get real hot, its idling now on 62 and it was a warm day today, but i can just imagine when we start getting days of 42+ degrees, my poor baby is gonna fry !! :(

Slammin
10-10-04, 09:17 AM
Cool your house, or cool your case or go to water cooling for your card. I really don't think even an NV5 is gonna help because your ambient air is so warm to begin with.

Sgt_Pitt
10-10-04, 05:41 PM
yeah its 7.30 a.m here now and its a bit cool my ambient temp is 31-33 and core is 54-55, but it will rise during the day.

subbo
10-10-04, 07:39 PM
Not that I like it that hot, but I wish I could teleport some of that nice weather of yours over here, it's now -8c outside. hrrrrrh

Sgt_Pitt
10-10-04, 10:42 PM
heheh good for overclocking :D