PDA

View Full Version : Gainward 6800 GT 2400 Golden Sample: Volt and BIOS questions

luke97
10-10-04, 02:23 AM
Hi all!
I cant find the exact answers to some questions anywhere, so please, help me, specially Gainward owners.

-Exists a newer or alternate BIOS for Gainward 6800 GT 2400 Golden Sample?
I have 50.40.02.15.01 and it gets too hot at 400/1100 after long time playing and I have hard locks with Forgotten Battles.

-My BIOS says that the voltage is 1.5V. Lowering or uppering the volt. on BIOS could be better for my card? Maybe that could increase performance or stability?

Any idea? Anybody have this card flashed/modded or can run stable Forgotten Battles at "Enhanced Mode" for hours?

(Remember 6800 GT 2400 GS, not 2600 Ultra GS)

Tnx a lot.

bkswaney
10-10-04, 03:13 AM
Your voltage sould be 1.3 on a GT.
Noy even the ultra is 1.5.

What are your temps? idle and load?

What are your system specs?

luke97
10-10-04, 03:39 AM
For example, Ive been playing two hours to Flight Simulator 2004, full detail, at 400/1100. Temp is 82 C
Idle, I think that is between 60 and 65 C I think but I dont remember if is at 350/1000 or 400/1100. Ive exited MS Flight sim and the temp seems to remain at 71 at 400/1100

Ive started to scare me and I have a bit of panic. My BIOS settings are in default mode. I had a ATI 9700 Pro before, and never thought about voltages. Please, are you sure I should low the voltage to 1.4? My God, and Ive been at 1,5 two weeks!!

PLEASE, help

Tnx

EDIT: My BIOS (ASUS A7VN8 rev.1.xx mobo v.1.8 bios) has a minium AGP VDDQ voltage of 1,5V and 1.8V. max. I cant lower to 1.3 or 1.4. How could it be possible?

Danhill
10-10-04, 05:39 AM
Hmmm that doesn't seem right, at idle 400/1100 I have about 49-51 C, at load I only have 63-67 C. Do you have any fans in your case?? What speed does your fans in your Gainward card run at?? I have mine at 80% during 3D, and 55% during 2D.

luke97
10-10-04, 05:44 AM
I use Autospeed setting on Expertools. Is better dissable it? Ill try your fan settings now. Maybe this Autospeed is a bit crappy.

EDIT: Ive set it 2D/3D at 100% but doesnt seem to help very much. More or less 73% after reboot. I have the computer running 24/7, and my ambient temperature is 44 . Whats yours? Here, in Spain, still "beach time" :)

Tnx (now Im really worried)

JRd1st
10-10-04, 06:47 AM
If you feel competent to do this, remove your card, remove the fan assy., then check the screws for the GPU heatsink. When I did it I gently pressed down on the center of the heatsink while I tightened the screws equally, a little at a time, and not too tight.

These "Golden Samples" seem to come with loose heatsinks. When I fixed mine my idle temp went from 56C to 47C. Also, you don't want to have any external fans blowing on the card, this seems to blow that hot air back into it and raise the temps.

Good Luck!

Danhill
10-10-04, 01:14 PM
I use Autospeed setting on Expertools. Is better dissable it? Ill try your fan settings now. Maybe this Autospeed is a bit crappy.

EDIT: Ive set it 2D/3D at 100% but doesnt seem to help very much. More or less 73% after reboot. I have the computer running 24/7, and my ambient temperature is 44 . Whats yours? Here, in Spain, still "beach time" :)

Tnx (now Im really worried)

My room temp is about 23-24 C.

Danhill
10-10-04, 01:17 PM
Also, you don't want to have any external fans blowing on the card, this seems to blow that hot air back into it and raise the temps.

I have to disagree with you there, I have a fan controller, when I set all my fans to 1500 rpm the idle temp increases by 2-4 C. When I raise the rpm to max my temps immediatly decreases.

I have 2 80 mm in the back sucking out the hot air as well.

jmclaugh
10-10-04, 04:40 PM
EDIT: My BIOS (ASUS A7VN8 rev.1.xx mobo v.1.8 bios) has a minium AGP VDDQ voltage of 1,5V and 1.8V. max. I cant lower to 1.3 or 1.4. How could it be possible?

I have the A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 and can't lower it either. Can anyone with a lot of technical knowledge confirm that a VDDQ voltage of 1.5 is likely the problem? This is really starting to piss me off. The Golden Sample card is supposed to be GUARANTEED to run at 400/1100 and I can only run it at 350/1100 without artifacting in some games (it's really REALLY bad in Rome: Total War). Mine is reaching 81c at 400 GPU and 79c at 350... is 2 degrees really the difference between a completely stable card and bad artifacting? And is ~80c really too hot for these cards? They supposedly don't even downshift in speed until they hit 100c as I understand it... and I'm reading a lot of temp posts in various places and a whole lot of em are in the neighborhood of 80c.

I e-mailed Gainward's tech support and the asshat tried to tell me it sounded like I had a "software conflict" because I was using nvidia's ref drivers instead of gainward's outdated drivers (they've since been updated to drivers nvidia hasn't even released yet... and yes, I tried em... same artifacting)... that's funny becuase I've never heard of a software conflict that only happens when the GPU is OCed.

This is my first Gainward card, and I'm really hoping this tech guy's reply isn't indicative of the level of support I'm going to get when I ask for an RMA if I become fully convinced that this is an issue with the card itself.

luke97
10-10-04, 04:47 PM
I have the A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 and can't lower it either. Can anyone with a lot of technical knowledge confirm that a VDDQ voltage of 1.5 is likely the problem? This is really starting to piss me off. The Golden Sample card is supposed to be GUARANTEED to run at 400/1100 and I can only run it at 350/1100 without artifacting in some games (it's really REALLY bad in Rome: Total War). Mine is reaching 81c at 400 GPU and 79c at 350... is 2 degrees really the difference between a completely stable card and bad artifacting? And is ~80c really too hot for these cards? They supposedly don't even downshift in speed until they hit 100c as I understand it... and I'm reading a lot of temp posts in various places and a whole lot of em are in the neighborhood of 80c.

I e-mailed Gainward's tech support and the asshat tried to tell me it sounded like I had a "software conflict" because I was using nvidia's ref drivers instead of gainward's outdated drivers (they've since been updated to drivers nvidia hasn't even released yet... and yes, I tried em... same artifacting)... that's funny becuase I've never heard of a software conflict that only happens when the GPU is OCed.

This is my first Gainward card, and I'm really hoping this tech guy's reply isn't indicative of the level of support I'm going to get when I ask for an RMA if I become fully convinced that this is an issue with the card itself.

Exact same problems, mate. Please, keep me informed if tech support answer something. Ive writed lots of posts on Gainward forums about our problem. I hope somebody could help us. Maybe we need a new BIOS, and Gainward must make it.

JRd1st
10-10-04, 04:54 PM
I have to disagree with you there, I have a fan controller, when I set all my fans to 1500 rpm the idle temp increases by 2-4 C. When I raise the rpm to max my temps immediatly decreases.

I have 2 80 mm in the back sucking out the hot air as well.

It depends on which direction the air is coming from and how hard the fan is blowing. I had a fan on my case's air intake (which faces the molex side of the board) and when I had it going just fast enough so it was barely audible it raised the temps on my GS. I didn't try running it full speed because that would be worse than the GS fan going full speed. lol

jmclaugh
10-10-04, 08:44 PM
Er, I think we were talking about the AGP VDDQ voltage. That IS supposed to be 1.5v in the motherboard BIOS, correct?

jmclaugh
10-10-04, 10:40 PM
Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for is anything to attribute this problem to OTHER than a "bad" GPU that won't reach their guaranteed speed and remain stable, so I can look into it before I ask to RMA the board. I'm lucky enough to still have my old 9800 Pro to tide me over but I really don't want to RMA unless it IS the GPU at fault, but the very fact that it's only happening at 400 and is totally stable at 350 means it almost has to be hardware related even if it isn't due to the video card itself.

I only have a 350w Antec PSU, but I don't have a lot of baggage in my case like a second HDD and the lowest MBM has ever reported my 12v line at is 12.29v. It has actually risen as high as 12.48v when running rthdribl.

This is driving me nuts, because if it isn't a power problem, and it isn't the motherboard (because my 9800 Pro has been working just fine in it), it pretty much HAS to be the video card, yes?