PDA

View Full Version : Best Gaming Soundcard???

d2thez
10-10-04, 09:39 PM
I will make this simple: I have a highend system with onboard crap audio and all I do is play games.

I want the fastest and nicest sounding sound card for gaming. What should I get??

I think my two best choices are the Audigy 2 ZS or an EnvyHT based card like the M-Audio Revolution.

I'd like to know just how bad and bloated the Creative drivers are, and how bad it hurts gaming performance by not having hardware acceleration on the Envy-based card. Help!!

saturnotaku
10-10-04, 10:24 PM
For gaming, the Envy sucks. It hogs a lot of CPU time compared to the Audigy 2. As far as the Creative card goes, the drivers are only bloated if you install all the extra applications. If you only install the basic files needed to get the sound card operational, the A2 is perfectly acceptable. Because of a financial crunch, I'm selling my A2 ZS. $65 shipped for the full retail boxed version. PM me if you're interested, as my two other potential buyers have fallen through.

jAkUp
10-10-04, 10:30 PM
Without a doubt the Audigy2zs... just dont use the driver disk, download the pure non bloatware drivers off of SB's site.

d2thez
10-10-04, 11:00 PM
Hey Jakup, glad to hear from ya again man. As for buying that used one, I am sort of a stickler for buying new things such as that. If it has a problem in my system, I can't return it for a refund. PC parts are finicky, as you know.

Hey Jakup, I finally finished Far Cry the other day dude. Such a great game. Thanks for the hookup. I decided to put off really playing through it until I got m 6800 so I could enjoy the great graphics. Definetely worth the wait.

Omega53
10-10-04, 11:09 PM
audigy 2 zs no question. I love mine to death!

NightFire
10-10-04, 11:26 PM
Yep, Audigy 2 ZS, even though I don't own one.

WeReWoLf
10-10-04, 11:32 PM
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

jAkUp
10-10-04, 11:46 PM
Hey Jakup, glad to hear from ya again man. As for buying that used one, I am sort of a stickler for buying new things such as that. If it has a problem in my system, I can't return it for a refund. PC parts are finicky, as you know.

Hey Jakup, I finally finished Far Cry the other day dude. Such a great game. Thanks for the hookup. I decided to put off really playing through it until I got m 6800 so I could enjoy the great graphics. Definetely worth the wait.

hehe no prob man :) Now its time for some HL2 goodness!

Smokey
10-11-04, 03:21 AM
There is no problem using the driver cd, actually I recommend it, its not that difficult to select custom install ;)

jAkUp
10-11-04, 02:52 PM
Yea I guess, but if you download from the site, you get the latest version :)

-=DVS=-
10-11-04, 08:19 PM
Yep Creative got monopoly for gameing sound cards , there is no real competition for Audigy 2 and it works well.

ragejg
10-11-04, 08:46 PM
/waves the inexpensive audigy1 card around

:p

2zs best available, but IMO Audigy1 is best bang for buck... with creative non-bloatware drivers OR kx project drivers...

And heck, while I'm at it, the better Live! cards are great when used with kx drivers... tht is, if you're on teh REAL cheap. :p

Smokey
10-12-04, 04:33 AM
Why use KX drivers? they dont support 3d sound!!

jAkUp: I guess that's fine if you only want the drivers, but it is much better to have, EAX control panel (can enable surround sound for music), Surround Mixer (more or less the same as windows sound panel), THX contol panel (is actually good if you want to setup your speakers correctly), also the EQ if you want.

Dont just get on the bandwagon that Creatives install cd is full of bloatware and have bad drivers.