PDA

View Full Version : No more Copper Heatsinks from MSI?

r2d2d3d4d5
10-11-04, 08:14 PM
Came across this thread (http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=62878&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1) tonight. It looks lime some 6800s from MSI are turning up without the nice advertised Copper heatsinks. Someone claims to have received an email from MSI Netherlands with this reply: nVidia forced us to replace the "old" copper cooler with the "reference cooler" as nVidia prescribes. Unfortunately this cooler no longer has the ability to be regulated in speed.There's no reason given as to why.

Now maybe MSI have run out of Copper or something but if like me you've bought one of their cards with the Copper heatsink this is slightly worrying. I really hope there is nothing wrong with the original cooler.

If you are buying one of these cards you may want to check which cooler it comes with.

Bantu
10-11-04, 08:50 PM
r2d2d3d4d5, did you ever get the probs with your MSI 6800 resolved? I was reading the power supply thread and saw the problems you were having with artifacts on your card.

subbo
10-11-04, 09:32 PM
The only problem with the original copper hsf is that it's too damn good, and almost silent at the lowest speed while still keeping the gpu cooler than the reference design.

bkswaney
10-11-04, 10:20 PM
That is a weird reply. Why on earth would NV
make them pull a better cooler off?

Something sounds fishy. (bs)

Reliant
10-11-04, 11:10 PM
That is a weird reply. Why on earth would NV
make them pull a better cooler off?

Something sounds fishy. (bs)
Maybe because they'd rather you buy an Ultra? ;)

bkswaney
10-11-04, 11:18 PM
Maybe because they'd rather you buy an Ultra? ;)

:rofl: could be true.
But non of the other companies
have had to remove there custom heatsinks.

kahloq
10-11-04, 11:23 PM
:rofl: could be true.
But non of the other companies
have had to remove there custom heatsinks.

Thats because they generally dont perform much better then the reference design.

MustangSVT
10-11-04, 11:32 PM
My gainward performs considerably better than the stock cooler, and so does the Leadtek one.

rohit
10-12-04, 02:37 AM
No more copper coolers, sounds really bad, I bought 6800GT of MSi primarily because i loved the copper cooler, n yeah its effective but silent.
After MSi the nex best cooler, effect wise is gainward's. & then Leadtek's.
i dont like the Idea of nv5.

mustrum
10-12-04, 04:29 AM
The only problem with the original copper hsf is that it's too damn good, and almost silent at the lowest speed while still keeping the gpu cooler than the reference design.
Why is galaxy allowed to ship their cards with the nv5 on it then?
Sorry but there must've benn some other reason why they had to switch to reference.

r2d2d3d4d5
10-12-04, 06:43 AM
That does seem like a pretty lame excuse. Maybe the copper heatsinks were just costing MSI too much money for too little profit gain and they decided to stick cheaper heatsinks on there. I can see how it might be commercially sensitive information to tell anyone why. But if there is something wrong with the cards we should be told. Unfortunately at this stage I don't feel particularly trusting towards computer equipment manufacturers, especially with regards to recalling faulty equipment.

r2d2d3d4d5, did you ever get the probs with your MSI 6800 resolved? I was reading the power supply thread and saw the problems you were having with artifacts on your card.
Yes I did. A new PSU did not help in the end. It was just a faulty card. The new card works without any problems.

frenchipie
10-12-04, 07:54 AM
i have reply from MSI for their cooler

Hello,

To date, we have only received the nVidia reference design model. This is a stipulation that nVidia ordered. They want the first models to all be reference design.

After a while, nVidia will usually open up the rules a little bit and let us come out with our own model (with Top Tech cooling). Until that time, however, we can only sell the reference design model.

Thank you for your support!
Chad Long | Channel Field Sales
MSI Computer Corporation
Central and East Coast Region
chadl@msicomputer.com

frenchipie
10-12-04, 07:59 AM
and here is another from msi

Hello,

You are correct. nVidia will only allow us to sell the reference design unit at this time. We have already come up with our own solution, which is quieter and cooler (thus the review), but until nVidia gives us the OK, we are not allowed to sell.

Thank you,
MSI Computer Corporation
chadl@msicomputer.com

I am gonna return my VGA, hope gameve.com give back full refund

and i will go to ati this time.. (quiter cooler and slim design)

i have shuttle xpc so... NV silencer won't fit mine

SH64
10-12-04, 08:51 AM
Hmm i got one of them MSI 6800GTs with copper cooler .. am i lucky now ?? :p

r2d2d3d4d5
10-12-04, 09:47 AM
i have reply from MSI for their cooler

Hello,

To date, we have only received the nVidia reference design model. This is a stipulation that nVidia ordered. They want the first models to all be reference design.

After a while, nVidia will usually open up the rules a little bit and let us come out with our own model (with Top Tech cooling). Until that time, however, we can only sell the reference design model.

Thank you for your support!
MSI Computer Corporation
chadl@msicomputer.com

That's strange because I bought my NU with a Copper heatsink months ago. I'm certain I wasn't the only one.
Sorry but someone somewhere: (kngt)

Renzo
10-12-04, 04:00 PM
My NX6800GT has also the copper heatsink with fan adjustment. I bought this one about a month ago.

subbo
10-12-04, 04:15 PM
I wish nvidia wouldhave told gainward not to use the Jet-Figther-o-matic dual fan monster of theirs that doesnt even work properly, instead of telling the good boys at MSI to bin their great hsf.

Though from bad experiences with Ti4xxx custom fans (One Asus broke it's clear plastic fan and burned itself, and another fan on an Inno3d just started resonating and failed), nvidia SHOULD keep an eye out for bad 3rd party engineering.