PDA

View Full Version : Why does my video briefly freeze in 3d benchmarks and games?

Nickeleye
10-11-04, 11:55 PM
First off, my PC is using the following hardware:
Athlon 64 3200+
MSI Neo Platinum motherboard
1 gig of OCZ EL PC3200 RAM
EVGA Geforce 6800 GT

I'm currently not overclocking the video card or CPU. I have been noticing lately that when I run either 3dmark 2001SE, 3dmark03 or even a game (I've actually only tried Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow so far) everything appears to be working fine, but then the video freezes. You would think at first glance that the PC froze, but everything continues working again after several seconds. This only happens one time during each benchmarking procedure.

For example, if I run 3dmark 2001SE the benchmark starts fine, but then partially through the first test (although has also happened during dragolithic and nature) the video just freezes for several seconds... then all of the sudden the computer starts going again. The interesting thing is that the video doesn't pick up where it froze, but rather, it picks up where the test would be after however many seconds the screen was frozen. So it's like the video stopped, but the computer was still benchmarking.

I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm not using any special settings on the video card or in bios. I've tried making sure my nforce motherboard drivers are up to date and I've tried other bios settings, but can't seem to find out the problem. I don't think it is a hardware issue, because if it were the problem would happen EVERY time (once in a while the video actually does not freeze, but usually does).

Other than this problem, the computer operates normally as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Omega53
10-12-04, 12:24 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37865

TISaint
10-12-04, 12:35 AM
First off, my PC is using the following hardware:
Athlon 64 3200+
MSI Neo Platinum motherboard
1 gig of OCZ EL PC3200 RAM
EVGA Geforce 6800 GT

I'm currently not overclocking the video card or CPU. I have been noticing lately that when I run either 3dmark 2001SE, 3dmark03 or even a game (I've actually only tried Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow so far) everything appears to be working fine, but then the video freezes. You would think at first glance that the PC froze, but everything continues working again after several seconds. This only happens one time during each benchmarking procedure.

For example, if I run 3dmark 2001SE the benchmark starts fine, but then partially through the first test (although has also happened during dragolithic and nature) the video just freezes for several seconds... then all of the sudden the computer starts going again. The interesting thing is that the video doesn't pick up where it froze, but rather, it picks up where the test would be after however many seconds the screen was frozen. So it's like the video stopped, but the computer was still benchmarking.

I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm not using any special settings on the video card or in bios. I've tried making sure my nforce motherboard drivers are up to date and I've tried other bios settings, but can't seem to find out the problem. I don't think it is a hardware issue, because if it were the problem would happen EVERY time (once in a while the video actually does not freeze, but usually does).

Other than this problem, the computer operates normally as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

This normally happens when u oc the vid card too high.

-=DVS=-
10-12-04, 02:00 AM
I know exacly why you get freezes i had same mobo for testing and observed same problem with MSI Neo Platinum its becouse of Fast Writes (Bios Setting), but in some cases its possible to have them enabled and not get freezes , try disabling FW in bios play a bit and on next restart enable again see if freezes continue , they did stop at one point :p , playing with different Bios versions might be idea also.

I fount that VIA chipsets are moust stable & faster for 754 Socket CPUs.

Nickeleye
10-12-04, 07:31 PM
For what it's worth to anybody, I think the problem has been solved. Thanks to DVS for the tip to try disabling AGP fastwrites in bios. I gave that a shot and ran through 1 complete test of 3dmark 2001SE, 1 complete test of 3dmark03 and 3 loops of tests 1-4 of 3dmark03 WITHOUT one single error! :) I know I would've had at least one freeze during those tests previously. It looks like disabling fast writes was the key. I'll keep my fingers crossed a while longer, but looks like it's been solved. Why are the easiest solutions so hard to find sometimes? :bash:

circuitbreaker8
10-12-04, 07:40 PM
This problem happened to me when I had Fast Write enabled @ clocked to high. Disable Fast Write.

Nickeleye
10-12-04, 11:37 PM
Disabling fastwrites seems to have hurt my 3dmark scores a little, but at the sake of stability and no more freezing I don't mind. I have run several 3dmark tests since disabling the feature as well as playing some more splinter cell without issues. I think I can safely say the problem has been solved. I never really thought about fastwrites being the problem since on my other systems fastwrites have never really caused me any problems.

-=DVS=-
10-13-04, 12:33 AM
Yeah FastWrites have small impact on benchmark score , minor on real games , moustly noticable on CPU benchmark part in 3dmark 03 for example , but its possible to run stable with them enabled on Neo Platinum just need to mess arround a bit its like lottery :p , you can try turning them on again and see if freezeing still present , i was trying out on/off/on/off at one point i had them on and no freezes. Maybe different Bios will solve this.

Nickeleye
10-13-04, 09:47 AM
I think I'll just leave them disabled. I don't see any major performance gains so why bother.

p.s. Quite an interesting avatar. I hate to admit it's a little distracting.