PDA

View Full Version : Oh HELL NO!! SCREW BFG! READ THIS!!

Pages : [1] 2

FastRedPonyCar
10-12-04, 07:03 PM
Just out of curiosity, I sent bfg this email. Read their lame ass response :bash:

purchased a 6800GT a while back and I believe it might be defective. The card locks up and produces artifacts whenever I take the GPU clock over 405 mhz. I've talked to dozens of guys on nvidia forums saying that they're safely running beyond 425 without any problems.

I dropped the clock speed back down to 400 and tried raising the memory speed and found that it had the same problem even with a 1mhz increase over 1000mhz.

Everyone says that the card should not be doing this. They said that it may be getting too hot but the nvidia control panel says that it's running at about 60*C at idle and around 70* under load. I've removed my side panel and had a high rpm 120mm fan blowing cool air directly at it and it still produced artifacts and locks up.

What do I need to do to go about getting a replacement?

Thanks
Drew

Their response

Drew,

What you are doing is overclocking the card. This voids the warranty. Whether a card overclocks "well" or not does not mean its defective. If your card is not overclocking "well" there isnt anything we can do for you. Unfortuneately overclocking can permenantly damage the card. If this is the case you will have to get a new card. If it works within the preset parameters (370MHz on the core clock and 1000 effective on the ram) then congratulations on haivng a still working. card.

* Please always reply to the last reply from us so we are able to see what was accomplished with the previous correspondence.

Thanks Again!
Ed S.
BFG E-Mail Support

:lame:

DarthBinky
10-12-04, 07:05 PM
Um . . . no offense, but what did you expect them to say?

circuitbreaker8
10-12-04, 07:10 PM
YEah really....lol

Lezmaka
10-12-04, 07:12 PM
:lame:

Yes you are.

TacT
10-12-04, 07:13 PM
go BFG, you tell em! :lol2:

If you wanted 425mhz core and ram over 1000mhz then you should have ordered a card you knew was going to clock nearer to those speeds or had them rated to run at that initially. You can't go whining to BFG because you want their GT clocked at slower speeds to run at Ultra speeds for less money because you're a cheapskate. Although they have every reason in the world to whine at you and say, "dude, go buy an ultra if you want those clock speeds!" :ORDER:

Buck Armstrong
10-12-04, 07:23 PM
If you wanted to RMA the card, you shouldn't have told the manufacturer, or even reseller, that you overclocked it. Its no secret that it voids your warranty.

The GT is only promised to run at 350, or 370 in your case, and its only certain Ultras that come 425 by default. Also, the RAM on that card is only rated to run at 1000 MHz. So if you thought the card was bad, like if it produced artifacts even at default speeds, then you just tell them what they need to know: the card doesn't work right at default speeds.

Cali3350
10-12-04, 07:31 PM
:D

What the hell did you expect?
Their gonna support you for running their product outside their rated specs...

:D:D:D:D

BrianG
10-12-04, 07:42 PM
:retard:

Jocomp10
10-12-04, 07:45 PM
:lol2: Realy what did you expect?

lIqUID
10-12-04, 07:47 PM
Im almost emberassed to say I reside in the same state as this guy LOL. :lame:

Fam Money
10-12-04, 07:52 PM
Does this mean you're lying in your sig?

Fatman
10-12-04, 07:53 PM
Can someone file his post on wikipedia under n00b :o

GlowStick
10-12-04, 07:55 PM
(owned)

Duded, BFG is 100% correct your wrong.

CaptNKILL
10-12-04, 07:58 PM
Ok, FastRedPonyCar, Im assuming that you have a BFG OC card. Its true that the lifetime warranty covers the card, even overclocked. But only its STOCK overclock. As in, the 370Mhz core clock that BFG uses. That is what the warranty covers, not your own overclocks.

And im sorry but this is high on the list of "ROFLMAO" threads of the year :lol2:

einstein_314
10-12-04, 07:58 PM
And I also agree with the general consensus here. What did you expect them to say. "Sorry your GT won't over clock to Ultra speeds. here, have a new one.?"

Raptorman
10-12-04, 08:01 PM
What the f*** were you smoking? Ofcourse they're not going to support you for running their card over the stock specifications. If that was the case everyone would buy a GT and RMA it until they got one that ran at 425MHz.

:udawg:

PaiN
10-12-04, 08:18 PM
First the light didn't turn on when BFG replyed.....maybe all these posts will illuminate how stupid it was to write that e-mail to them...

sorry fastpony...bonehead move (spit)

Phalinx
10-12-04, 08:23 PM
FastRedPonyCar ,

Go to this thread if you want more out of your card. You voided your warranty; however, there maybe hope yet. You might need to volt mod your bios. Go here. It explains it all. Good luck.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36901

Cheers

Phalinx

Slammin
10-12-04, 08:27 PM
FastRedPonyCar ,

Go to this thread if you want more out of your card. You voided your warranty; however, there maybe hope yet. You might need to volt mod your bios. Go here. It explains it all. Good luck.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36901

Cheers

Phalinx

Dear BFG,

I volt-moded my card because this thread told me how. It smelled funny for awhile and then the screen went blank. I will never buy another BFG card unless you send me a new one to try this again.

Love,

FRPC

wickfut
10-12-04, 08:52 PM
funny, but if most cards come with some kind of overclock software then how would the average person know it invalidates the warranty?

a quick browse thru the manuals of my winfast a400gt/gigabyte Ga7N400 pro2 and it even has instructions on how to use the overclocking software supplied on the disks

Sazar
10-12-04, 09:02 PM
:rofl

Phalinx
10-12-04, 09:03 PM
Slammin

Good one. :lol2:

Let FRPC atleast try the volt mod. What's the worst thing he could possibly do? Melt his card? :nanahump: It's probably already borked. (pb) The gpu or ram may not be getting enough juice for the overclock. Maybe, just maybe, he won't tell the manufacture again :screwy: ...

Cheers

Phalinx

MUYA
10-12-04, 09:04 PM
Stop it guys this guy has been flogged enough for his...erm ..well leave him alone.

:angel:

coldpower27
10-12-04, 09:04 PM
Since when is anything under warranty when overclocked? I mean the Geforce 6800 GT OC from BFG comes stock at 370/1000 which is for them thier default and covered by their warranty. If your willing to overclock, your not permitted to bi*ch if the card dies. Same goes for anything computer hardware basically. Unless it explicitly states we support this conponenet under warranty, at speeds up xxx.

Tyr-Sog
10-12-04, 09:05 PM
lol