PDA

View Full Version : eDimensional 3d glasses work with LCD monitors on nVidia cards?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

XanderF
10-12-04, 11:48 PM
(Cross-posted a couple times, figured this was best in this forum on these boards.)

This is a sign of the apocalypse, surely?

I thought the technologies were COMPLETELY incompatible, yet....

Link to eDimensional 3d glasses working with LCD monitors (http://www.edimensional.com/news/pr-lcd.htm).

September 25, 2004 --- eDimensional, Inc. the leading manufacturer and distributor of consumer PC virtual reality products and accessories including the critically acclaimed E-DTM Glasses, is pleased to announce the release of exclusive new support for LCD monitors in conjunction with the E-D Gaming Glasses. The new eDimensional glasses are the first and only stereoscopic glasses to support LCD monitors.

Utilizing proprietary new polarization techniques and synchronization module, the new eDimensional 3D glasses will allow the user to view both a CRT and LCD screen in stunning 3D. Along with exclusive support for all video cards, the new eDimensional glasses can now be used on any PC as well as any monitor.

Has anybody *tried* this yet?

That just blows my mind! Working with LCD monitors!? Surely not!

noko
10-12-04, 11:55 PM
Seems interesting, where can you buy in the states?

Omega53
10-13-04, 12:01 AM
If this works I am buying them. Im sure LCD's wont have the flickering issues of CRT's if this is true!

XanderF
10-13-04, 12:50 AM
If this works I am buying them. Im sure LCD's wont have the flickering issues of CRT's if this is true!
Well, I just shot their customer support off an email.

My biggest concern is if this will work with DVI, or just the VGA line. Remember, on the CRTs, they needed a 'dongle' between the VGA port and the VGA monitor cable. Hell, I don't even know if this new technology REQUIRES a dongle - obviously, page flipping synchronized with refresh rate isn't how they are doing this, as that can't work with LCDs at all, so who the hell knows HOW they are managing?

Anyway, even if it DOES require a dongle, and even if it DOES require a VGA one....my monitor has both inputs, and can switch between them at a button press, so I can always connect both DVI and VGA to my graphics card, use DVI for virtually everything, and switch to VGA for games using the 3d glasses.

Anyway, it sounds very exciting, so I'm eager to hear more from them.

So, I'll let you guys know what eDimensional says to my email.

wickfut
10-13-04, 07:21 AM
i imagine its something along the complexity of this

http://bill.innanen.com/parkinsons/graphics/200110/Bill_In_3D__glasses.jpg :)

Pandora's Box
10-13-04, 08:08 AM
oh boy. i think im gonna order myself a pair of wireless glasses!

Pandora's Box
10-13-04, 08:22 AM
DONE! got me a pair of wireless edimensional glasses. should be here tomorrow.

wickfut
10-13-04, 11:00 AM
do you have an lcd screen ? I want to know what refresh rate I need to get flicker free with LCD and if i need to use the digital video connection or not ?

wickfut
10-13-04, 11:41 AM
well mine are on its way - next day delivery :)

they better work on this lcd :nanahump:

Danhill
10-13-04, 12:06 PM
Hmm intresting, it's a pitty that you can't test these for your self before buying.

wickfut
10-13-04, 12:20 PM
30 day money back offer , tho they did charge me 6.89 for tax and 6.60 for next day delivery :(

total was 52 for the wired version (hate buying batteries) ill do a full review on the glasses and how they work with the lcd on friday hopefully :)

Omega53
10-13-04, 12:31 PM
How much better are the wireless versus the wired. Im trying to figure out if its worth the extra 20 bucks to go wireless or not.

XanderF
10-13-04, 01:05 PM
Well, last time I went 'wired', as the batteries hanging off my head didn't sound like a good thing (extra weight = bad).

I did get an answer to my email, btw:
Thank you for contacting eDimensional. We are glad you have been enjoying our glasses. Page flipping with LCD monitors is not impossible. It simply had not been done yet and no hardware supported the proper synchronization methods and polarization required for LCDs until we developed it. Also, page flipping on a LCD screen doesn't look exactly like page flipping on a CRT screen, which may be what caused some confusion. It works on any kind of LCD, just like our CRT-only model does. Just like on a CRT, a higher refresh rate and response time will make for a better 3D image. We do still require a VGA connection, but you can either switch back and forth or even get a DVI-VGA adapter which is not expensive and may retain some of the benefits of DVI. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the E-D glasses and accessories and please let me know if you have any other questions.

So....sounds like they are still using page flipping? If so, I'd take it you want an LCD monitor with as LOW a response time as possible, but how the numbers work out I can't fathom. (Is it doubled, like CRTs? So, watching an LCD with a response time of 17ms with these glasses means each eye 'sees' a 34ms response time? No idea! Although, with CRTs, it wasn't THAT bad. If your monitor refresh was set to 120hz, each eye 'sees' 60hz, but since your brain glurges the image processing from both eyes, it effects you more like 'seeing' 90hz or so - kinda mix)

It'll be interesting to hear the reports back from you guys that get them!

Omega53
10-13-04, 01:10 PM
Well I just bought the wireless version and I will be extremely upset if they dont work with my LCD. 25ms responce time, I hope that isnt too bad. :(

Pandora's Box
10-13-04, 01:19 PM
same here omega. i have 25ms responce time. i went with wireless version too. its bad enough having a headphone cord in the way, two cords in the way would be too much.

Danhill
10-13-04, 01:22 PM
Please do report your thoughts and eventually reviews in here. I'm very intrested in these things.

DeadLine
10-13-04, 02:31 PM
And screenies :P

Pandora's Box
10-13-04, 02:35 PM
And screenies :P

(dot)

cant take screenshots would be 2d still

DeadLine
10-13-04, 02:37 PM
No i mean from your glasses :)

Pandora's Box
10-13-04, 02:38 PM
No i mean from your glasses :)

(spit) :retard: :lame:

Omega53
10-13-04, 02:41 PM
ok Deadline, you just lost me lol

tobywong
10-13-04, 02:46 PM
deadline, the "3d" offered by glasses like this is basically some optical tricks and depth cues that fool your brain into thinking it's seeing 3d. It doesn't translate well into screenshots (you wont get the effect).

DeadLine
10-13-04, 03:21 PM
I know i just kidding :p
But can i buy this 3d glassen in Holland cause i wanna it then 2.
I see you must pay with visacard and that stuff :S

Schumi4ever
10-13-04, 03:54 PM
Its nice they have the 30 day money back thing, but do you also get the initial transportation costs back? If not, buying these glasses just for testing isnt the best thing. What if you dont like it? Then it costs you two times transportation costs, that can easily go beyond 20 euro which is an expensive joke :retard:

wickfut
10-13-04, 03:57 PM
not looking good so far , dropped down to 3d driver 61.77 for display and 3d vision to see what the effect is like , the pc crashes after about 10 seconds , i either get crazy screen corruption or i get a blue screen and the "dumping memory" countdown before a restart

not even had a chance to see if a game will run with these drivers :(

this is all after a fresh instal too