Pages : [1] 2

thcdru2k
11-10-02, 01:23 PM
http://www.fileconnect.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2811

wow...

i prefer this to doom 3.

-=DVS=-
11-10-02, 01:34 PM
not bad but its same as UT2k3 good poly count but Doom 3 have real time enviromental shadowing you can't compare Unreal 2 to Doom 3 ;)

don't forget we havn't seen doom3 with high rez textures only with low and it looked amazeing :D

My Vote for Doom III :p

FastM
11-10-02, 01:34 PM
you gotta be kidding?

those look like crap

volt
11-10-02, 02:17 PM
nice ass :rolleyes: :D

Fotis
11-10-02, 02:48 PM
IMHO the only game that will come close to doom3 in graphics is deus ex 2.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-10-02, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Fotis
IMHO the only game that will come close to doom3 in graphics is deus ex 2.

Doesn't that use Unreal Warfare engine? Thats what UT2k3 uses, and Unreal 2 uses, of course, the Unreal 2 engine. Deus Ex is gonna rock with the warfare engine, its been heavily developed and very flexible, can't wait for Deus Ex 2! Part 1 rocks!:D

Mod
11-10-02, 03:29 PM
I prefer Doom 3. Unreal 2 don't seem to have the organic look as Doom 3

DaveW
11-10-02, 04:03 PM
Deus Ex made nice use of the Unreal engine. DX2 will look shweet :)

nin_fragile14
11-10-02, 07:07 PM
These look nice, but don't even compare to Doom 3.

skipparoo
11-10-02, 09:22 PM
I think it depends how you look at both games. Persoanlly, I think Unreal excels Doom 3 in every aspect except technology. Detail has always been a plus in Unreal. Unreal's music was always superior to Quake's and will be for Doom 3. Textures and landscapes, sky details and special effects, Unreal was always ahead of Quake in all these aspects. The only plus Doom 3 has is its Lighting. The environments will not be as detailed, and the textures will not look as good as Unreals. Outdoor scenes are a given. Quake sucks in this department, and Doom 3 will be no different. Why? Because JC has not decided to design Doom 3 with high polygoned scenarios in mind, not even the models are high polygoned. Unreal 2 will feature some of the most impressive and immersive terrain environments ever. I'm game for Doom 3, I love the alpha, but as far as I am concerned, the lighting and bump mapping are the only two features worth noting. Content will be lacking, and this is where Unreal 2 will excel. Plus it's not like Unreal 2 doesn't have great lighting, it does, just no stencil lighting. I like stencil lighting, but I feel the edges of the shadows need to be blurred slightly, to make it look more real, like the way Monolith did their shadows for NOLF2. Anyways, overall Unreal 2 will be much more fantastic than Doom 3. Of course, Dooms nicely lit environments will be a trip, even if they will most likely look alike throughout the game, like the Quake series.

-Skippy

GamblerFEXonlin
11-11-02, 02:57 AM
"The environments will not be as detailed, and the textures will not look as good as Unreals."

According to this outdoor shot (http://217.8.136.112/root/pix/Unreal2/unreal2p3.jpg) I just see rather boring and low-res textured ground, and the stones around look cartoony. A lot like original Unreal, and I'm not blown away by graphics like that anymore.

"Because JC has not decided to design Doom 3 with high polygoned scenarios in mind, not even the models are high polygoned. "

And Unreal2 will be any better, not in this shot (http://217.8.136.112/root/pix/Unreal2/unreal2p7.jpg), where you can see the edges on top of the bubble shes in, and the spikes to the left and right of that.

"I love the alpha, but as far as I am concerned, the lighting and bump mapping are the only two features worth noting."

The sound is also supposed to be interesting, but yes its mostly bumpmapping and lightening. But thats exactly what I feel Unreal2 - according to its official screenshots - could use well. If this monster (http://217.8.136.112/root/pix/Unreal2/unreal2p8.jpg) had some bumpmapping it could look more "wet" and real. Now it looks like a cartoon, just like the original Unreal. (also its polycount, its extremely low too).

"Plus it's not like Unreal 2 doesn't have great lighting, it does, just no stencil lighting."

Its hard to see the lightening without being able to play the game myself, but those shots are showing the ages-old texture-map lightening that I find old.

I am only dragging down the game on its graphics, the story, sound, music and animations can be very good and make it a enjoyable game like Unreal1 was (I just hope there is single-player coop-mode just like the original). All I'm saying this is old-looking graphics, just _a little_ higher polycount. I want polycount like this http://217.8.136.112/root/pix/Doom3/d3_high-model-01.jpg
http://217.8.136.112/root/pix/Doom3/d3_high-model-02.jpg

Like Quake3, Doom3 will be the benchmark graphics-card manufactorers develop their drivers and hardware for, but like quake3, doom3 have skimped heavily on the polycount so I fear we will see edgy heads (http://217.8.136.112/root/pix/Doom3/fatty.jpg) and pointy fingers (http://217.8.136.112/root/pix/Doom3/Doom3_05-01.jpg) for about 5 more years. Remember, all graphics card reviews so far has mostly tested low-poly games (UT and quake3) and never pushed the systems polygon performance, and thus never "motivated" the graphics card manufactorers to fix this issue.

The GeForce line from all the way to the first have had this revolutionary "Hardware T&L" but we are at GF4 now and still I see no leafes on the trees (UT2003), and as you know by now even Doom3...

Why havent reviewers made everybody aware that this is what we had to expect even after nvidias high-poly tech demos, I'm think Doom3 has low-poly models because they actually shadows all those (edgy) edges. The pointy fingers actually cast pointy shadows (http://217.8.136.112/root/pix/Doom3/Doom3_05-01.jpg).

demonized
11-11-02, 05:10 AM
I wonder if ATI's truform is good enough to take care of those edgy fingers and heads. I have a G4 so i dont know how it would look with truform enabled.

StealthHawk
11-11-02, 06:27 AM
were the Unreal 2 shots using the highest detail settings that will be available in the retail game? if not, then accurate conclusions cannot be drawn. i think the texture quality at least will improve.

The GeForce line from all the way to the first have had this revolutionary "Hardware T&L" but we are at GF4 now and still I see no leafes on the trees (UT2003), and as you know by now even Doom3...

and the power of the GF1 hardware T&L is being pushed to its limits in games like UT2003, U2, and Doom 3. what more do you expect?

GF2 cards are still the baseline.

StealthHawk
11-11-02, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by demonized
I wonder if ATI's truform is good enough to take care of those edgy fingers and heads. I have a G4 so i dont know how it would look with truform enabled.

Doom 3 isn't going to use Truform because it would create inaccurate representations for the shadows.

SavagePaladin
11-11-02, 01:21 PM
from Tycho of UnrealOps (mmmm hangover)
God it looks like the flamers are out already. I am still hungover and I can defend the Legend guys. The game kicks ass and HomeLAN's preview blows goats. There are soooooooo many things that Unreal Ops, Beyond Unreal and Unreal Center have to share with everyone it is crazy. I have over 6 pages of notes and that doesn't include my interview session.

The game is ****ING SWEET SO SHUT UP and wait to see what the 'Fansites' have to say about it before you start *****ing. I have a ton of things I want to say about the game and it is going to take more than one quick hour after the meeting dinner to get everything across. My preview won't be a one page write I will tell you that now.

PS. The screenshots (now that I have had the chance to look at them) aren't really good IMO. They don't show off the new particle effects or ANYTHING. The game is kicks ass, the event kicked ass, Legend, Info G and Cliffy B kicked ass (yes Tycho and Cliffy even talked to each other).
At any rate, the new info sounds awesome.

LordVampyre
11-11-02, 02:08 PM
those be some ugly shots.... hope some better quality ones come out

***CENSORED***
11-11-02, 05:52 PM
this is unfair. your comparing full v. of unreal 2 to the .12 v. of doom 3:mad:

LORD-eX-Bu
11-11-02, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ***CENSORED***

Uh, no? Unreal 2 is still in Beta stage, no full version yet bud. Anyways, the Doom 3 alpha is .02 .;) :D

StealthHawk
11-11-02, 07:17 PM

read what SavagePaladin posted. those shots weren't indicative of the final build of Unreal 2. so two unfinished products were being compared.

***CENSORED***
11-12-02, 08:44 PM
yes, but pics of Unreal 2 you compared were far more complete than the Doom III ya compared!

StealthHawk
11-12-02, 10:10 PM
yes, but pics of Unreal 2 you compared were far more complete than the Doom III ya compared!

is that a fact?

how much more "complete" is one game engine-wise from another? Unreal 2 is more finished as a whole, when considering levels, optimization, etc more likely. but that really doesn't say anything as to the state of the rendering engine, nor the textures being used.

thcdru2k
11-12-02, 10:14 PM
real battle will be between unreal warfare and quake 4. single player based games like doom 3 and unreal 2 can only provide so much playability even with its multiplayer.

Cereal-Killer
11-12-02, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
real battle will be between unreal warfare and quake 4. single player based games like doom 3 and unreal 2 can only provide so much playability even with its multiplayer.

Isn't Unreal Warfare just the name of the engine used for Unreal 2, UT2k3 and Unreal Championship? It's not an actual game right?

thcdru2k
11-12-02, 11:21 PM
no. its a different engine i think. and it sure is a different game. its has very very huge outdoor maps. and more team based multiplayer. similar to assault. that is why the did not include an assault gametype within ut2k3.

StealthHawk
11-13-02, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Cereal-Killer
Isn't Unreal Warfare just the name of the engine used for Unreal 2, UT2k3 and Unreal Championship? It's not an actual game right?

the Unreal Warfare engine became known simply as the "Unreal engine." so it is the same one used by U2 and UT2003. of course each game probably uses a different build, but they have the same roots.

i actually think Unreal Warfare was the next gen UT, but Epic may have changed plans.