PDA

View Full Version : I need help with AS5

H3avyM3tal
10-13-04, 10:50 AM
It's like this:
How much AS5 do Ineed to put on the Core and Mem on my 6800GT?
And should I tighten the screws hard?

saturnotaku
10-13-04, 11:01 AM
RTFM:

www.arcticsilver.com

Same rule for GPUs as it is for CPUs.

H3avyM3tal
10-13-04, 03:12 PM
See, now, thats not nice...
you could just answer instead of giving me a link...
sigh...

mustrum
10-13-04, 04:10 PM
If you use a NV5 silencer the manual does not apply. You'll need a lot more than on a CPU.
People like the RTFM dood above are those that whine how bad those aftermarket cooler are.
Yes a small amount of AS5 is better but if you need a lot to make even contact between HS and die then it's better to use more.

sniggle
10-13-04, 04:28 PM
why should he re-state everything on that instructional page instead of giving a link? damn, some people are so damn lazy that they can't use google instead of creating more worthless posts.

AnteP
10-13-04, 05:37 PM
See, now, thats not nice...
you could just answer instead of giving me a link...
sigh...

nice is one thing, doing "your job" is another ;)

anzak
10-13-04, 05:44 PM
Do not use AS5 on the memory! Use something non conductive.

H3avyM3tal
10-13-04, 06:52 PM
anzak: y not?

anzak
10-13-04, 06:58 PM
anzak: y not?

Memory is very sensitive to electric shock. Using a conductive paste could fry it! I would recommend Arctic Silver Ceramique.

As for installing it, I had to put a thick layer on the GPU for it to make good contact with my NV Silencer but the stock HS might be different. Also use a think layer of whatever you chose for the memory.

crainger
10-13-04, 07:18 PM
Do not use AS5 on the memory! Use something non conductive.

Oh no... Here we go again

bkswaney
10-13-04, 07:24 PM
Oh no... Here we go again

:rofl: :ORDER:

ihiktacos
10-13-04, 07:26 PM
Yeah, this reminds me of the other thread ;).

Anyways, I took off my BFG heatsink because my temps were high as heck (although BFG says anything under 100 is fine :/).

I put AS5 on the core and ceramic on the memory. I did try AS5 first on the memory, but because of the design and me taking of the thermal pads on the memory there was a slight gap. The ceramic is much easier to use to fill up the gap actually, bit thicker (and cheaper too!). Works fine now and temps have dropped 10-15 degrees compared to the stock thermal crap they put on, and that is after a .1 Volt mod in the bios.

So just in case you have a bit of a gap, use the ceramic on the memory. The Arctic Silver website is quite obscure about the subtle differences between their pastes, and it seems that As5 is just 'better' than the ceramique. I don't know if you could really fry your memory, but I agree that you would want something non conductive preferably.

john19055
10-13-04, 08:11 PM
Just apply a thin layer like you would on your CPU and I tighten my screws as tight as they would go I mean I did'nt bear down on them just tighten all the way down but the springs will hold it in place just try to tighten them evenly.The back plate is platic at least mine is , so you don't have to worry about it shorten anything out.

Fatman
10-13-04, 08:36 PM
I think this covers it -

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=449000#post449000