PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia has optimizations you cannot disable also.

odin20
10-13-04, 12:59 PM
I have been reading many threads about the different iq problems lately and did a bunch of tests using cs-source VST.
If you have high quality set in rivatuner yuo get a pretty good image with only some far out textures (ie far away) flickering once and awhile. The texture transitions on the floor in cs-office are good but i benched 115 in the vst. With 4xaa and 8xaf. So i began my experiment. If i went down to quality textures but disabled all the optimizations i should get the same score right? Nope wrong. I go up to 123 fps in the test. I tried it 6 times and always got the same score. So i said "hmmm whats goin on?" so i turned the optimizations on (2 out of the the 3 anyway) the trilinear and the anisotropic optimizations i did not enable the mip map one cause the image quality suffers too much. Well i ended up gettin a 2 fps improve ment and got 125 fps every time after 6 runs. So i said this is weird and went back to high quality. I benched 115 again over 6 runs. What this tells me is the quality setting with all optimizations turned off is not the same as high quality. There is obviously more going on we cannot change or that can only be changed by switching to high quality. Basically if yer in quality mode there is no reason to turn on the optimizations, they net you no real gain (2fps). And the only real way of stopping all optimizations is to select high quality mode.
Can anyone else do a test or two and corroborate my findings it may be useful for those who didnt know this.
This is not a bash on Nvidia i looove my 6800ultra. I just want more opinions and views on the matter.

Ohh and the difference between highquality and quality(without optimizations) can be seen becuase with high quality you do not get the "moire" pattern in front of you. And with quality and no opitimizations you do.

K007
10-13-04, 01:09 PM
When u set to high quality i think it forces the mipmaps to Trilinear

Anyway All opt on Quality = 108FPS
All opt off Quality = 114FPS

Schumi4ever
10-13-04, 01:27 PM
To me sounds just like a difference between switching from performance to quality. Of course you lose fps :ORDER:

The confusing part will probably be that people assume high quality without opts is the same as quality with opts? Then it might sound strange, but it isnt that big of a deal.

Unless Nvidia specifically says high quality is the same as quality with opts :rolleyes:

odin20
10-13-04, 01:51 PM
sorry i should have clarified. I thought (maybe wrongly) that quality with all optimizations off was the same as high quality. Obviously going from quality to high quality involves some other optimization that we do not know about. That is all.

Schumi4ever
10-13-04, 02:03 PM
Obviously going from quality to high quality involves some other optimization that we do not know about. That is all.

Doesnt necessarily need to be opts. Going from performance to quality also makes you suffer in fps because different mips etc are being used. Perhaps from q->hq its also something like that? [I dont know much of these things, I just put it to HQ without opts :P]

odin20
10-13-04, 02:07 PM
yeah me neither just wondering what it was?

odin20
10-13-04, 08:31 PM
anyone have a clue whats going on in highquality thats not in quality with all optimizations off?

Cali3350
10-13-04, 08:56 PM
Nvidia has said this is the case before. High Quality is the only way to fully disable opts.

Subtestube
10-13-04, 09:47 PM
Is is possible you're CPU bound and just can't tell the difference between Qual and High Qual? Just checking... because the Trilinear Opts this time round are DAMN good. I certainly can't pick them without static frames. I mean.. you are getting VERY high FPS for the source engine, which kind of implies that at whatever res you're using, you're CPU bound. Could be wrong... but it could be a very simple explanation for the weirdness.

K007
10-13-04, 10:53 PM
You should c mine lol. I turn AA on (from 0x to 4xaa) and i loose 2 fps O.o

Darkoz
10-13-04, 11:44 PM
Perhaps you should change the thread title, as it's very misleading and in fact false.

nVidia have said previously that to turn off all optimizations, you need to select 'high quality' mode.