View Full Version : GeForce 6 mini-faq

Ruined
10-13-04, 01:09 PM
mini faq

how to properly setup sm3.0 in farcry 1.2:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=783878

Q: I'm running dual displays and getting 1-2 fps in Doom3
A: disable dual display acceleration in nview

Q: What is the difference between Quality/High Quality?
A: High Quality has all filtering optimizations disabled

Q: I have an AGP 6800 Ultra and I'm getting lockups & other problems
A: Check your bios in the nvidia control panel, if the BIOS version is older than 5.40.02.10.15, download the below bios fix and flash your card with it:
http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=303

Q: I upgraded from an ATI card and I'm getting lockups or poor performance
A: Run driver cleaner - http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/
If that doesn't work, reformat.

Q: Why does the 6800 Ultra require two molex plugs? I can OC the 6800GT to Ultra speeds on one.
A: The two molex plugs give the 6800U headroom for overclocking. Tests have shown that one molex tops out at ~435mhz core. Higher core speeds are possible, but will result in clock throttling and slower speeds on one molex. If you plan to watercool and overclock, you are best getting an Ultra for the second molex.

Q: Can I use SLI with my AGP 6800GT?
A: No, SLI only works with 6600GT or better pci-express nvidia cards, and requires an SLI capable PCI express motherboard

Omega53
10-13-04, 01:21 PM
Q: Why does the 6800 Ultra require two molex plugs? I can OC the 6800GT to Ultra speeds on one.
A: The two molex plugs give the 6800U headroom for overclocking. Tests have shown that one molex tops out at ~435mhz core. Higher core speeds are possible, but will result in clock throttling and slower speeds on one molex. If you plan to watercool and overclock, you are best getting an Ultra for the second molex.

This finally explains it all. I was wondering why I couldn't get past 440 without artifacts even tho my temps were fine. Running 450 for 25 min in rthdrbl only nets me 72*C temps yet I get artifacts in some benchs. I thought it was a power issue but everyone was telling me cores can only due certain speeds no matter what the temps. This just comfirms what I was thinking all along and explains why I was getting artifacts.

TheSmJ
10-13-04, 02:02 PM
I have always wondered if the 6800GT really requires it's own dedicated PSU string. After all, aren't all the wires connected in parallel to the same voltage regulators anyways?

Furthermore, does the Ultra need two seprate strings for each connector, or does one string with two of the connectors connected to the card suffice?

Buck Armstrong
10-13-04, 02:21 PM
This finally explains it all. I was wondering why I couldn't get past 440 without artifacts even tho my temps were fine. Running 450 for 25 min in rthdrbl only nets me 72*C temps yet I get artifacts in some benchs. I thought it was a power issue but everyone was telling me cores can only due certain speeds no matter what the temps. This just comfirms what I was thinking all along and explains why I was getting artifacts.

Look man, no offense or anything, but you can't do 440 without artifacts because you have a GT, not an Ultra! I've read several of your posts and you are slowly baking that card like a Thanksgiving turkey! There are frequencies it can't handle regardless of temperature, and 450 is way too high for the vast majority of GTs, and so is 440. You need to be a bit more realistic; 50 MHz stable over stock is phenonemal if you compare to GF3s, GF4s, or most other cards; but you're trying 100 MHz over! The only reason Ultras do 450 is because of the second molex. Plus, you raised the voltage, which certainly increases heat and wear, and still doesn't mean you can do 450 or 440 without eating the GPU!

The fact that it doesn't go above 72 just means it may not hardlock on you, but if you're seeing artifacts and purple lines (which you've said), you ARE damaging the card. Pretty soon, you'll see artifacts at 440, then 430, then 420, then 400, and eventually at stock. Again, I mean no offense, and I'm sure you know computers and all, but you are killing that poor GT. If 440 seems "stable" (ANY artifacts visible in ANY game or bench means it is NOT stable!), back it down to 425. You might lose 1 huge fps but your card might also survive...if its not too late.

mike2h
10-13-04, 02:31 PM
ruined - thx! good post

Omega53
10-13-04, 03:40 PM
Look man, no offense or anything, but you can't do 440 without artifacts because you have a GT, not an Ultra! I've read several of your posts and you are slowly baking that card like a Thanksgiving turkey! There are frequencies it can't handle regardless of temperature, and 450 is way too high for the vast majority of GTs, and so is 440. You need to be a bit more realistic; 50 MHz stable over stock is phenonemal if you compare to GF3s, GF4s, or most other cards; but you're trying 100 MHz over! The only reason Ultras do 450 is because of the second molex. Plus, you raised the voltage, which certainly increases heat and wear, and still doesn't mean you can do 450 or 440 without eating the GPU!

The fact that it doesn't go above 72 just means it may not hardlock on you, but if you're seeing artifacts and purple lines (which you've said), you ARE damaging the card. Pretty soon, you'll see artifacts at 440, then 430, then 420, then 400, and eventually at stock. Again, I mean no offense, and I'm sure you know computers and all, but you are killing that poor GT. If 440 seems "stable" (ANY artifacts visible in ANY game or bench means it is NOT stable!), back it down to 425. You might lose 1 huge fps but your card might also survive...if its not too late.

I understand what you are saying. I get zero artifacts at 440 and if I do bake the card it wouldnt be a huge loss, as I could always afford to buy another. I just like pushing my hardware to the edge even if it means I lose several years of its life. By the time it does die something better will be out anyways. I understand your concern and I appreciate your honesty, but if I was in a finacial situation where I couldnt afford another card I would just be happy at 425. I know its only 2-3fps difference from the clock increase, but sometimes those few fps can come in handy in intense games where fps are low.

As far as you saying 6800GT's core isnt capable of that high a push, thats simply not true. The core is identical to the ultra's and the only difference is the cooling solution. I have a cooling solution designed for Ultra's and several people with ultra's can push near the 450 mark. Its due to a lack of power that Im getting these artifacts, not that im stressing the core too much. Looks like I will just be content with 425/1100 for right now as its plenty fast I guess. Maybe my proc is giving me a false impression that my card is actually slower than it is since in most games Im probably processor limited.

Buck Armstrong
10-13-04, 04:06 PM
As far as you saying 6800GT's core isnt capable of that high a push, thats simply not true. The core is identical to the ultra's and the only difference is the cooling solution. I have a cooling solution designed for Ultra's and several people with ultra's can push near the 450 mark. Its due to a lack of power that Im getting these artifacts, not that im stressing the core too much. Looks like I will just be content with 425/1100 for right now as its plenty fast I guess. Maybe my proc is giving me a false impression that my card is actually slower than it is since in most games Im probably processor limited.

I realize that they're the same chips as the Ultra, however, the Ultras are rated to run at higher speeds (which usually means it will clock higher) and most importantly, they have the second molex. And yes, depending on your CPU, it would limit any gains from overclocking after a certain point; so if you notice that 425 gives you the same scores as 450, you might as well leave it at 425 until you have a reason to go higher (like a new CPU).

However, if you have the money to replace it and are just playing around, then ignore everything I said in last post, since you obviously understand the consequences, and might end up buying an Ultra anyway. :)

Ruined
10-13-04, 04:39 PM
the point is even if you took an Ultra binned chip and put it on your 6800GT you couldn't break 435-440mhz without artifacting/throttling/etc due to the single molex on the GT. Its very likely that there are plenty of GTs with Ultra-rated chips due to the Ultra memory shortage and GT demand, but none would be able to OC as high as an Ultra due to the single molex.