PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burning

Rev_Night
10-14-04, 12:15 AM
my roomate has a bunch of movies on his computer (mainly divx and WMI) and wants to burn them to a CD/DVD so it can play on the tv in the living room. How can he burn them so the dvd player will recognize them? Does he just copy and paste the files on there (via Nero) or does he need to do something else? Assuming he can put multiple movies on the DVDs, will they play ok on the tv? Will he be able to have a choice to play which movie he wants on the disc?

As of right now, the only software that we have is called DVDshrink. This allows us to copy and burn movies, but so long as they are off a disc (thus have the appropriate and correct file structure). Could we use this for burning files off our HDD too (ones the we downloaded, not ones that we orginialy got off DVD's).

My burner is a LG GSA 4120B (12x, DL) dvd burner and the media is 8x Memorex.

fivefeet8
10-14-04, 01:31 AM
Nero can't make/author DVD movie disks. YOu need another nero tool(nerovision) for that or WinDVD creator. There are other DVD converion tools. It can however make SVCD/VCD disks. Your DVD player in the TV living room will need to support reading DVD+r/-r and CDr/rw formats, else they won't play either.

superklye
10-14-04, 02:39 AM
Some DVD players can recognize and play .MPEGs and .DivX and .AVI files when they are burned just like that as a data CD.

fivefeet8
10-14-04, 02:43 AM
Some DVD players can recognize and play .MPEGs and .DivX and .AVI files when they are burned just like that as a data CD.

Where? I'd like to get one of those. ;)

superklye
10-14-04, 02:52 AM
Where? I'd like to get one of those. ;)

watch www.bensbargains.net as I've seen it posted there numerous times. I can't think of the manufacturer or anything right now, but it's usually around $70 or so. It plays EVERYTHING.

jAkUp
10-14-04, 02:58 AM
Liteon has an external DVD home Player that plays avi's, divx.. etc.

saturnotaku
10-14-04, 07:32 AM
Liteon has an external DVD home Player that plays avi's, divx.. etc.

Gib has one of those IIRC, and it's been working pretty well for him.

Rev_Night
10-14-04, 01:57 PM
i don't want to pay any money here.

soi can't burn movies on my hdd to a dvd unless i pay for the software?

i'm confused

fivefeet8
10-14-04, 02:12 PM
You can burn them as a Data CD, but you will need a DVD player that supports divx movies. To convert your movies into real DVD movie disks, you will need software to author and convert them into DVD video file formats. YOu most likely will have to buy them since I haven't found a free DVD authoring tool. Your DVD player will also need to be able to read DVD-r/+r formats.

|JuiceZ|
10-14-04, 02:13 PM
soi can't burn movies on my hdd to a dvd unless i pay for the software?

i'm confused

You can burn movies to DVDís all you want but unless theyíre in mpeg format, your set top dvd player will not recognize them nor be able to play them. Answer: either convert them to svcd's (bad option) or buy a divx dvd player.

Rev_Night
10-14-04, 02:24 PM
i have a divx dvd player. It is the Phillips DVp642.

so since i have that (and i plays divx, svcd, and mpeg4), all i have to do is using Nero to convert the files to dvd under the 'Data DVD' option?

The files are divx and mpeg.

|JuiceZ|
10-14-04, 02:52 PM
i have a divx dvd player. It is the Phillips DVp642.

so since i have that (and i plays divx, svcd, and mpeg4), all i have to do is using Nero to convert the files to dvd under the 'Data DVD' option?

The files are divx and mpeg.

Nice player. Actually looking at the specs, you should be able to just burn those divx & mpegs movies to either dvd-rís or cd-rís in Ďdata cdí mode & they should play just fine.

Rev_Night
10-14-04, 03:05 PM
so i installed nero and was trying to copy it to a CD-R, and Nero said that there was a standard compatibilty issue. Under the file properties, it said it was divx, but the file name is Requiem for a Dream DIVX.avi . So is this a avi or what?

|JuiceZ|
10-14-04, 03:14 PM
so i installed nero and was trying to copy it to a CD-R, and Nero said that there was a standard compatibilty issue. Under the file properties, it said it was divx, but the file name is Requiem for a Dream DIVX.avi . So is this a avi or what?

Most divx & xvid encoded movies end up as .aviís so basically theyíre one in the same. You should be able to burn it just fine though, donít quite understand what that compatibility issue is all about.