PDA

View Full Version : Something To Replace Audigy 2

budd_wm
11-10-02, 04:00 PM
Finally, someone else has created a true 5.1 gaming card rather than Audigy. This (http://www.midiman.com/products/consumer/revolution_page1.php) is what the Audigy should have been. Too bad Creative missed it. This card is supposed to be released soon though and will show at Comdex. Will definately be what I'll get for my upcoming new system. :D

thcdru2k
11-10-02, 04:02 PM
wow...dts output. this soundcard only deserves home theatre quality audio. not weakass computer speakers.

gravioli
11-10-02, 07:29 PM
Just an observation from the specs:

also supports DTS output and Dolby Digital 5.1/EX (6.1 DVD) decoding

Notice it says DTS output and DD 5.1/EX decoding. If it decodes DTS, then they should have left the "output" portion of the sentence out and wrote "also supports DTS and DD 5.1/EX decoding".

Outputting (i.e. passing-through) DTS is nothing new considering you can do this with the Audigy 2 and most other card-based soundcards.

budd_wm
11-10-02, 07:50 PM
Well, Comdex will clear that up I suppose. At least it's a true 6 channel card (might even be an eight channel card). I'll certainly buy this over a Creative card any day.

FastM
11-10-02, 09:06 PM
I wonder how it will do in games?

Smokey
11-10-02, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by FastM
I wonder how it will do in games?

Look at the specs, supports EAX and A3D. Should be good enough for most

budd_wm
11-10-02, 11:00 PM
It probably wouldn't do as well as an Audigy would with EAX, but IMO EAX is way overrated.

FastM
11-11-02, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by budd_wm
It probably wouldn't do as well as an Audigy would with EAX, but IMO EAX is way overrated.

I agree, EAX is overrated. But im reffering to HardwareSound mostly.

And smokey, you should know by know just because it says it does on the side of the box doesn't mean squat, plus it should say EAX2.

budd_wm
11-11-02, 12:44 AM
FastM, I asked you once in another thread what you meant by "Hardware Sound" and you never answered me. What are you talking about??

PsychoSy
11-11-02, 01:43 AM
What's the price of this bad boy, anyway? :)

This is the first time I've heard of M-Audio! :eek:

LORD-eX-Bu
11-11-02, 02:17 AM
I just need something to replace my AC97 2.2(YEAH!) sound. Hope this one doesn't cost $200 like Audigy 2.:D

budd_wm
11-11-02, 03:37 AM
The retail price is rumored to be $150, but street price of course is rumored to be lower. But this will all be "officially" announced at Comdex in a few days.

StealthHawk
11-11-02, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
Look at the specs, supports EAX and A3D. Should be good enough for most

Audigy 2 actually has amazingly low CPU utilization too, compared to the Audigy 1 and the Hercules card.

stncttr908
11-11-02, 07:14 AM
Actually you can get a retail boxed Audigy 2 for $100 minus $30 rebate at your local Best Buy this week.

Redshirt #24
11-11-02, 08:46 AM
I thought the rebate thing was last week...

FastM
11-11-02, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by budd_wm
FastM, I asked you once in another thread what you meant by "Hardware Sound" and you never answered me. What are you talking about??

I dunno, maybe im understanding it wrong. In UT2k3 you have SoftwareSound, HardwareSound and then HardwareEAX.

In games like UT2k3 that you have the option, i alway choose hardware sound Without EAX, like some others said i also find EAX effects un-controlled.

sbp
11-11-02, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Redshirt #24
I thought the rebate thing was last week... CompUSA is advertising the Audigy 2 for $100 after a $30 manufacturer mail in rebate this week. Beast Buy advertised Audigy 2 for $100 after $30 manufacturer mail in rebate last week. General rebate? http://www.compusarebates.com/coupons/0245041.pdf

budd_wm
11-11-02, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by FastM
I dunno, maybe im understanding it wrong. In UT2k3 you have SoftwareSound, HardwareSound and then HardwareEAX.

In games like UT2k3 that you have the option, i alway choose hardware sound Without EAX, like some others said i also find EAX effects un-controlled.

Errrr....the HardWare Sound option in games usually refers to Direct3DSound (or is it DirectSound3D, I can never remember). In UT2k3 it could refer to Sensura 3DPA. I'm sure the game's manual explains what the option is in some detail.

budd_wm
11-11-02, 06:14 PM
Adding on to this...if you're worried about this card having no bass in games such as UT2k3 like some cards have been experiencing, I wouldn't worry about that. If not an 8 channel card, this card will definately have 6 channels like the Audigy has and does not emulate 5.1 sound like the GTXP, Turtle Beach, and many of the 7.1 sound cards that are out (all are based on chipsets that are 4 channels). Heh, I'll be getting this card when it comes out, so I'll let you guys know what happens. ;) :D

But I wouldn't worry about it.

Redshirt #24
11-11-02, 07:09 PM
...Best Buy apparently has the A2 for $99.99 this week, no
apparent rebate. (I just came back from there.) Now, I'm
tempted...though I like the hardware EQ the Santa Cruz
and FortIII have.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-12-02, 01:10 AM
Redshirt, do you know if this is available online also?

Redshirt #24
11-12-02, 01:17 AM
...bestbuy.com still has the standard A2 for $129.99. Note that
I did see the little card thing at the local BB saying the A2 was
$99.99, but I didn't check the date on it--though, since they
just had a rebate thing going last week, I'm assuming it's this
week's price. Can someone else confirm this in the morning?