PDA

View Full Version : What a day!!

Ninjaman09
10-13-04, 11:41 PM
Well, I got my new northbridge waterblock in today, as well as my new power supply from OCZ (Powerstream 520). I was all set to get ready and install! So, I removed the water blocks, drained the system, and was all ready to put the NB block on when I accidentally spilled some of the liquid onto the motherboard. I panicked, of course, and vigorously cleaned up my mess. Thinking I should test out the system to make sure everything was working, I hooked up the processor, video card, and their respective blocks just to make sure, and booted up. Or tried to anyway, the board wasn't even POSTing.

To my dismay, it had appeared as though I had unwittingly destroyed my motherboard. I immediately went out to a local computer parts dealer and got a replacement (luckily they had a P4C800-E Deluxe) and was all ready to install it - until I took the CPU out of the old one. I had mounted the CPU incorrectly and ended up bending up two of the pins very badly. In a feeble attempt to straighten them, I ended up just breaking them off. R.I.P. my Prescott 3.2GHz.

Needless to say, I was up for getting a new processor ASAP, and of course had a completely useless new P4C800 and wasn't really sure if my old P4P800 was still working or not. I called the guy at the store and he said that they offer no refunds, but after I explained what happened he said he'd let me trade the board in for another one. OPPORTUNITY STRUCK!

You see, I've always regretted buying this Pentium 4. I didn't do enough research while I was constructing my system before, and have been lamenting my passing up Athlon 64s. But no longer!!

I am the proud new owner of an Athlon 64 3500+ (Socket 939) and an Asus A8V Deluxe mobo. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Oh, and the irony, of course, is that it was all caused by my needing a northbridge chipset cooler - which an Athlon 64 board doesn't need. Heh.

Rytr
10-14-04, 12:02 AM
Congratz and enjoy your new AMD! :D

CaptNKILL
10-14-04, 12:12 AM
dare i ask how much this whole thing cost you? :wtf:

Ninjaman09
10-14-04, 12:12 AM
This thing is so awesome. Runs under load at 31*C. WITH STOCK AIR COOLING.

I have to wait until Koolance can ship me the clamps for my CPU-300 waterblock so in the meantime I'm using the retail HSF. It's not very loud and it is really getting the job done. So it looks like I'll be getting some SICK ass overclocks once my little pieces of metal come in to hold down my CPU block. Whee! I'm excited. Doom 3 is already running better, and I've got everything going at stock speeds right now.

It cost a pretty penny, and set back my budget a good bit. 500 bucks total, for the parts. I gotta say, the prices were really good, and I checked newegg after I got my system up and running and noticed that their prices were only like 5-10 bucks cheaper. So I'm pretty happy with the purchase, though it really put a hurting on my wallet for the next few weeks. Oh well, that's what savings accounts are for ;)

|JuiceZ|
10-14-04, 07:59 AM
hahahah GG! Congrats on coming over from the dark side :firedevil

Ninjaman09
10-14-04, 08:08 AM
Heh, looks like Motherboard Monitor isn't too good at judging Athlon 64 temps - Asus Probe revealed the actual idle temps to be about 40*C, with load temps of 55*C. Not terrible at all, considering the stock HSF I'm using runs at like 2000 RPMs. BTW, is Cool 'n Quiet good to use?

|JuiceZ|
10-14-04, 08:15 AM
Do a (google) search for Speedfan. Its the best mb monitoring prog out there & it's free.

Riptide
10-14-04, 08:18 AM
To bad MBM isn't going to be developed any further. It was a good program but anything new that comes out won't work with it. :(

BTW, is it accurate to say the Athlon64 has no northbridge? I know the memory controller is onboard but if there is nothing else on the northbridge then why do I have another chip on my board with a heatsink on it? The southbridge is separate from this so I'm not getting them confused here...

|JuiceZ|
10-14-04, 08:29 AM
BTW, is it accurate to say the Athlon64 has no northbridge? I know the memory controller is onboard but if there is nothing else on the northbridge then why do I have another chip on my board with a heatsink on it? The southbridge is separate from this so I'm not getting them confused here...

What do you mean? My K8N Neo has a northbridge:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/13-130-457-09.JPG

Its covered by a gold MSI passive heatsink. And the memory controller for a64 is on-die not on the mb.

Ninjaman09
10-14-04, 08:30 AM
I was wondering the same thing, Riptide. I really don't know what that thing is, but that heatsink sure isn't coming off (not that I'm gonna mess with it - EVER). I'm just looking forward to getting my CPU block mounting braces so I can actually attach my waterblock and get my system going. I'm gonna go for your exact overclock, JuiceZ. Oh, and by the way, the OCZ Powerstream is badass.

Riptide
10-14-04, 08:56 AM
My bad, I misunderstood Ninja. He meant that he didn't need an active cooler on his new northbridge, not that it didn't have any NB at all. Doh...

I've heard other people say Athlon64's don't have a northbridge which is perhaps why I misunderstood. As you can see, my AV8 also has one.

http://img93.exs.cx/img93/3776/13-127-181-02.jpg

It would appear that there is more to a northbridge than *just* the memory controller.

911medic
10-14-04, 10:00 AM
My bad, I misunderstood Ninja. He meant that he didn't need an active cooler on his new northbridge, not that it didn't have any NB at all. Doh...

I've heard other people say Athlon64's don't have a northbridge which is perhaps why I misunderstood. As you can see, my AV8 also has one.

http://img93.exs.cx/img93/3776/13-127-181-02.jpg

It would appear that there is more to a northbridge than *just* the memory controller. I think many people refer to the nForce boards as not having a Northbridge, when what they really mean is there's no separate North/Southbridge like on the VIA boards (such as your AV8). There's just "a chipset." But this has been the case since socket A, correct? Not just A64.

Riptide
10-14-04, 10:13 AM
AFAIK the K8N Neo2 has both a north and a southbridge. On the Neo2 the northbridge is actively cooled. I wish I had a manual handy with the layout because the picture isn't obvious as far as where the southbridge is @. Someone w/a Neo2 can correct me if I'm wrong ofcourse as they would have a manual handy.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the Neo2. Perhaps I'm wrong about it having a separate NB/SB? Now my curiousity is piqued.

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/8534/13-130-468-02.jpg

GlowStick
10-14-04, 11:32 AM
Aye, Nforce 3/4 boards combine the north/south bridge all into one.

However VIA KT800 boards still use the traditonal North/South bridge setup.

|JuiceZ|
10-14-04, 12:24 PM
Glow is right, in NF3 mb's they're combined. btw Rip, remind me to smack MSI for not actively cooling the NB on the K8N (754).....:p

Ninjaman09
10-14-04, 01:02 PM
I just have a big, blue heatsink on the NB on my new board. I'm pretty sure it's epoxied on there. Not that it matters, I've managed to have the system running stable (but too hot) on some pretty decent overclocks already, so once my brackets get here I'm in business. Yay.