PDA

View Full Version : Whats better, AGP 8x or PCI Express (6600 gt)

st3v3n
10-14-04, 08:39 PM
im planning on buying the 6600 GT, but i dont know which is better:

AGP 8x or PCI Express

my mobo can handle both

Xplode
10-14-04, 08:58 PM
There isnt no noticable difference's...

st3v3n
10-14-04, 09:21 PM
so theres no reason to buy one over the other?

whats everyones recomendation

bkswaney
10-14-04, 09:22 PM
The PCIe is the way to go as long as you have
a new motherboard that supports it.

Subtestube
10-14-04, 09:26 PM
If yer getting a 6600 GT go PCIe - it's natively that, which means if there ever does come a time where something's seriously bus limited (extremely unlikely though that is) you'll be covered.

st3v3n
10-14-04, 09:45 PM
i have a "Foxconn 865A01-PE-6LS 800FSB DDR400 w/LAN, 5.1 Sound, USB 2.0 8x AGP Motherboard"

Jocomp10
10-14-04, 10:06 PM
Your mobo dosen't support PCI-E just regular PCI. So your only option is AGP.

Subtestube
10-14-04, 10:41 PM
Hang on... that MoBo doesn't support PCIe. Least... I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

saturnotaku
10-14-04, 11:43 PM
Nope, no PCI-Express on that board. AGP is the only way to go.

tristancarton
10-15-04, 12:09 AM
Anyone know when the 6600 agp cards will be out in circulation. Are we talking two weeks or late november/early december timeframe?

adpr 02
10-15-04, 01:10 AM
There is NO difference in performance between the pxi-ex and agp. only 1 or 2 fps extra or less in some games. The cards don't need that kind of bandwidth yet.

However if you DO get your hands on one, you might as well, the PCI and AGP slots will become legacy slots like the ISA. I would wait 'till next year when BTX motherboards come out.

coldpower27
10-15-04, 01:12 AM
The only difference is that the AGP version will require a molex connector while the PCI Express can run off the power the interface provides.

saturnotaku
10-15-04, 08:27 AM
The only difference is that the AGP version will require a molex connector while the PCI Express can run off the power the interface provides.

That's not true actually. PCI-E cards require a special power connection that's different from the standard 4-pin molex that you see on most AGP cards.

http://www.beyond3d.com/previews/nvidia/nv45/images/gts2.jpg

st3v3n
10-15-04, 11:29 AM
i think i should be able to install it..... i could just match my FX 5200 in there already

Subtestube
10-15-04, 07:32 PM
That's not true actually. PCI-E cards require a special power connection that's different from the standard 4-pin molex that you see on most AGP cards.

Apparently not with the 6600 (The NV45 is still pretty damn power hungry). I could be misremembering, but I recall that the NV43 PCIe version doesn't need any excess power. Remember that PCIe 16x can provide... to my knowledge, 3x the power of AGP? I could be wrong on that point, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Steven: On your current Motherboard it seems EXCEEDINGLY unlikely you will be able to get a PCIe card to work. Everyone here seems pretty certain (including me) that that motherboard DOES NOT support PCIe. It supports AGP and PCI (Note the lack of the "e").

msxyz
10-16-04, 04:24 AM
The only chipset supporting PCIe ATM are intel 915 and 925.

But beware of some 9xx motherboards which have also an additional AGP port. It's really an "adapted" PCI slot that makes AGP cards run in compatibility mode: 66MHz, 1x, no SBA, limited DMA capabilities. Good as a stop-gap solution for those who don't want to upgrade MB and VGA at the same time but it has some serious performance deficiencies.

kahloq
10-16-04, 10:26 AM
The only chipset supporting PCIe ATM are intel 915 and 925.

But beware of some 9xx motherboards which have also an additional AGP port. It's really an "adapted" PCI slot that makes AGP cards run in compatibility mode: 66MHz, 1x, no SBA, limited DMA capabilities. Good as a stop-gap solution for those who don't want to upgrade MB and VGA at the same time but it has some serious performance deficiencies.

Yeah I ahve seen those. One of them tries to use two PCI slots combined to make what they call an AGPe slot. But the performance in that slot is pathetic and really useless. Your are right that Intel is the only one at the moment that supports PCIe. AMD will of course come out with something soon tho. However again, AMD cannot support DDR2 system memory and they won't be able to until a complete redesign of the cpu chip is done beacuse of their on-die controller. This is one the advantages that Intel has because it is much more flexible to change and can adapt a lot faster to newer technologies. In fact, intel chipsets(915 and 925) can support BOTH DDR and DDR2 on the same motherboard and in some cases can run DDR2 in compatibility mode(meaning DDR). There is no way DDR can go much higher in mhz rating and thats why DDR2 for system memory is starting to show up. I mean currently the main stream memory for DDR is pc3200 which is 400mhz equating to an 800 front side bus(two channels at 400 = 800...simplified). Now with DDR 2, you could have a front side bus running at 1600 (or as it would show up in the bios would be 400 instead of 200 for pc3200). OCZ has released 667mhz and will release 733 mhz and 800 mhz DDR2 next month