PDA

View Full Version : Confusion regaring gpu core voltage on NU cards

EciDemon
10-14-04, 08:45 PM
right, so I read that alot of the GT users here volt mod there cards to OC more.
Am I right when I say that the GT uses 1.3vcore standard? and ppl up it to 1.4 ?

how much is the vcore on NU cards ?, not 1.4 standard in 3d mode right ?

Subtestube
10-14-04, 09:39 PM
NU's run at 1.2V. The Bios-y thing tells you it does 1.4 in 3d mode, but that isn't true. It always runs at 1.2. You can check it with a Voltmeter if you like.

EciDemon
10-14-04, 10:41 PM
Aaah that explains alot, i got really confused when I saw rivatuner reporting 1.4 in 3d mode.

Thanx :)

Crony
10-15-04, 12:48 AM
NU's run at 1.2V. The Bios-y thing tells you it does 1.4 in 3d mode, but that isn't true. It always runs at 1.2. You can check it with a Voltmeter if you like.

Oh, precise explication. But what should I do if I wanna more 0.1v? Any tools? the steps? TIA!

Subtestube
10-15-04, 01:01 AM
I'll direct you to NiBiTor (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&func=fileinfo&filecatid=452), with a very strong warning. Altering the voltage on the core is the SAME as Overclockin' in terms of your warranty. If you do it you WILL void the warranty. This WILL be detectable should you RMA the card, as you need to actually alter the BIOS to do it.

Secondly, Altering the core voltage CAN damage your card AND requires more juice from your PSU, so don't do it if you're stretching the PSU as it is.

I IN NO WAY recommend voltmodding your card unless you have a VERY good reason to. The only good reason I've so far found (and I won't do it myself) is that a 6800 NU after softmodding often won't overclock without the extra core power.

As for precise steps, I wouldn't know - I've never done it. I understand you first extract your Bios, edit with NiBiTor, and then flash to the new one.

Edit: I note that the page I initially linked to actually doesn't link directly to NiBiTor 1.7. The correct version is now linked to.