PDA

View Full Version : XFX Geforce 6800GT Lock up

blackcrisis
10-15-04, 01:50 AM
Hello everyone!

I have a XFX geforce 6800GT and it keeps crashing. Windows will load but right after it loads, If I click on Internet Explorer, or anything that makes windows do something, I get a yellow hazy thing than blue lines. Than my computer reboots, and it starts all over again.

My specs are.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Stock)
MSI Motherboard (I dunno what it is)
512 MB (Cheap)
and a CoolMax 400w (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-159-023&DEPA=1)
Sound Blaster Audigy2 Plat Pro
Lite-On 52x24x52 Cdrw
Sony 16x dvd drive
Maxtor 120Gb ATA133

Please help!

Update: Bios and loading screen are all screwed up now. Everything is misplaced and distorted. PLEASE HELP!

Zetto
10-15-04, 06:20 AM
RMA that piece of sh!t!

Phalinx
10-15-04, 06:23 AM
Post your specs on your power supply. Your card may not be getting enough power. Next, remove the card and test it in another machine if you can.

Cheers

Phalinx

YOGIx213
10-15-04, 06:34 AM
Well, from the newegg link he provided, it says there's 18a running on the 12v so it looks like there's enough power (although I may be mistaken, don't know about GT's since I have an Ultra).

I would go with the above suggestion of taking the card out and testing it on another rig (like a friend's computer) and if it shows the same problems, RMA it. Or, you can unplug any unessential hardware and see if it is a power supply issue. If it works fine with the unplugged unessential hardware, than you've narrowed it down to a power issue and you would have to upgrade that.

But, if it doesn't work on another computer, you've ruled out the power supply, then RMA it.

edit: oh, also, did you use Driver Cleaner to get rid of old drivers? If not, do that first, reinstall the drivers, check the power supply method, then check on a friend's computer. If all that fails, RMA.

blackcrisis
10-15-04, 10:45 AM
I wish I could RMA it, but I dont have the box :argh:

Ive disconnected my dvd drive and now it works. so I guess its my powersupply. I dont have access to a test computer with a decent PSU

Everybody around here has old computers less than 600mhz. So no can do on that. Thanks for the help!

bkswaney
10-15-04, 12:48 PM
I wish I could RMA it, but I dont have the box :argh:

Ive disconnected my dvd drive and now it works. so I guess its my powersupply. I dont have access to a test computer with a decent PSU

Everybody around here has old computers less than 600mhz. So no can do on that. Thanks for the help!

I have a killer power supply myself.
But if I hookup both my CD drives
one will sit there and open and close. :(

I think I may have reached the max of my 480 watts.
I have a 22a 12volt on my PSU.