PDA

View Full Version : November Release "Extremely Likely"

jAkUp
10-15-04, 11:31 AM
50 Valve Software's Half-Life 2 has been submitted to the BBFC for certification, we've learnt this afternoon, news which adds credence to recent rumours that Vivendi is shortly to announce that the hotly anticipated first-person shooter sequel has finally 'gone gold'.
Speaking under strict conditions of anonymity, an industry insider squealed earlier informing us that "as far as Vivendi is concerned, the game [Half-Life 2] is finished" before saying that the title had been passed to PEGI (Pan European Games Information age rating system) for classification, which in turn passed the sequel to the BBFC for certification.

The industry insider added that a November release is now looking "extremely likely".

A BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) spokesperson has confirmed with us within the last few minutes that the government body is indeed in possession of Half-Life 2. However, they could only add at this stage that the first-person shooter is "under evaluation", as far as certification is concerned.

And what, you're no doubt wondering, does Vivendi have to say about all this? Well, actually so are we at the moment. We'd like to report, but at the time of going to press the publisher remained unavailable for comment. Blast their eyes.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=110641

:nanahump:

Mr. Hunt
10-15-04, 12:23 PM
Wasn't Sept. 03 "extremely likely" too? :\... I hope it does come out this year... but I am not too optimistic when it comes to Valve :\.

superklye
10-15-04, 01:39 PM
Wasn't Sept. 03 "extremely likely" too? :\... I hope it does come out this year... but I am not too optimistic when it comes to Valve :\.

quite f*cking true

aAv7
10-15-04, 01:55 PM
As much as I ordinarily jump onto the " HL2 bashing bandwagon" I have to say things are looking promising.

Last year, a RC was never released, this year, 5 have been sent to Vivendi. Last year, steam didn't upload HL2 onto HD's of users, this year, anyone with steam can download 98% of the game. Last year option for purchase were not available, this year, you can pre-pay now and be ready when it's release comes. Last year, we had CS:cz, this year, we have CS: S fully playable.

Things look much better than last year, and Valve seems to have done it's part in getting the game out this year. In my eyes, Vivendi is the only thing between us and HL2 this year. If they want to be jerks, they can hold the game for 6 months, but I think they realize the longer the game gets held, the less money their going to make. It's only a matter of time until someone breaks open the HL2 files and the game finds it's way onto the p2p's. Vivendi also needs the money....badly. So to spite Valve with a 6 month delay would also be shooting themselves in the foot as well. If their THAT content with their lawsuit with valve, that they go ahead and risk sales of HL2 and sales for their own company, then they really shouldnt be in buisness. Make your money now-fight about who gets how much in court later.

If a court finds valve needs to pay vivendi so much $$, it can be done after the sales have been made-no reason to do it before the games release. But we are talking about Vivendi....one of the sloppiest company's of all time, so i'm worried they will delay it. But from the point of Valve, they did what they had to do to get it out. I'll give them that much credit...sure a year late....but a year late is better than 2 years late, or vaporware like dnf.

Mr. Hunt
10-15-04, 01:58 PM
I am not saying it WON'T come out... I am just saying I will not be holding my breathe because I know with Valve "anything" can happen.

aAv7
10-15-04, 02:00 PM
I am not saying it WON'T come out... I am just saying I will not be holding my breathe because I know with Valve "anything" can happen.

That's my point though =) Valve did what they had to do. The only people who can sour this up now is Vivendi. It's finally out of Valve's hands.

GlowStick
10-15-04, 02:37 PM
Woot, cant hold out any more, must have hl2 now :D

Ninjaman09
10-15-04, 03:34 PM
Yeah, even though I've been trying to play it cool, this pre-release hype is driving me crazy. If this game doesn't go gold next week I'm going to lose my mind.

I think Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3) articulates my feelings on this matter best.

aAv7
10-15-04, 04:05 PM
yea...doesnt seem like its going gold today =/ I'm trying to tell myself not to get hyped up..but like you said ninja...it's driving me nuts.

shinrai
10-15-04, 07:51 PM
At least they don't seem to be releasing it Halo 2 so late Nov would sound about right.

aAv7
10-15-04, 08:18 PM
well so much for the going gold today rumor. =P

GlowStick
10-15-04, 09:18 PM
I see it as a usual valve delay, like the CS Source, so i bet gold annoucement by monday!