PDA

View Full Version : Help! System problems!

morkus64
11-10-02, 08:07 PM
Hey all... Please help me out if you can. Recently my computer has begun crashing periodically for no apparent reason... all i have done recently is install 256 mb ram, (for 512 total) install the sims, and watched dvd's...

help! could it be a temperature problem... my pc health thingie in bios is reading cpu @ around 50 degrees C.

Also, i keep getting this damn university dilpomas meassge box which randomly pops up... how do i get rid of that?
thanks!

sbp
11-10-02, 08:15 PM
Other folks have been getting that spam popup: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3640
You need to turn off the Windows Messenger service.

Take out the new stick of 256 mb ram and see if the crashes continue. Lets see what the result is before going on. If it is the ram first try it in another memory socket {if possible}.

outriding9800
11-11-02, 02:49 PM
is the ram rated at the same speed and timing ??

i would look there.

i had a friend that worked at a computer store and he would not

buy ram unless it was matching.

morkus64
11-11-02, 02:51 PM
the ram is actually the same model as the previous stick!

morkus64
11-11-02, 06:23 PM
well, i took out the second stick and it seems to work okay... what's wrong though? I can't use it in a different slot because of crazy k7n420 configs...

SavagePaladin
11-12-02, 01:24 PM
Step a. try it anywayin the other slot?
step B. try a new BIOS?
step C. if all else fails, check the MSI site for a FAQ or notice, or their forums.

(step D. tell Paladin to go to sleep....zzz)

Starscream
11-12-02, 03:04 PM
Also try taking out your original stick of ram and putting the new one in it's place. If you still have problems I think it's safe to say the new stick is borked.