PDA

View Full Version : Voltage converter too hot?

mustrum
10-16-04, 05:54 AM
I plan to watercool my 6800 GT. I allready have a copper GPU block here and will use revoltec copper BGA ramsinks on the memory.
Since i plan to OC the GT quite a bit my fear ist that the votage converters will get too hot since they are only passivecooled.
Should i use a fan @5volts in my blowhole. The blowhole is just above the gfx card. Do i need to do this or am i fine without.
I don't wanna use more fans than really needed since it'S a silent system.

Viral
10-16-04, 06:16 AM
Well, just check temps with and without the fan. If you feel the temp drop (if any) isn't worth it, then forget about the fan.

mustrum
10-16-04, 06:19 AM
Well, just check temps with and without the fan. If you feel the temp drop (if any) isn't worth it, then forget about the fan.
Hmm how would i check the temperature of a voltage converter though?
Touching it wont be a way to check since the thing should be damn hot in any situation. The question is how hot though. :D

Viral
10-16-04, 06:35 AM
Many fan controllers come with probes.. either that or you can get a device specifically for it. If you don't want to spend money, then I guess you will just have to touch it. Really, the fan should benefit temps quite a deal. Whether it's enough to effect anything (stability, max clock speed, max life) is questionable though.

mustrum
10-16-04, 06:39 AM
Many fan controllers come with probes.. either that or you can get a device specifically for it. If you don't want to spend money, then I guess you will just have to touch it. Really, the fan should benefit temps quite a deal. Whether it's enough to effect anything (stability, max clock speed, max life) is questionable though.
I guess i'll juts let it run at 5volts then. Not audible but should help quite a bit.
I am quite sure that the voltage converter gets a lot hotter in some users systems anyway. The GPU waterblock should keep the whole PCB a tad cooler i think.