Rytr
10-16-04, 08:25 PM
That is not a good thing to show up on your monitor. :(

smthmlk
10-16-04, 08:32 PM
pretty! :D

anzak
10-16-04, 08:40 PM
Well at least the card boots. But when I try and run any 3d app it checkerboards like that. I will try 1.1 on 3d and 2d later (it was on 1.4 for 3d and 2d) but for now I have a Radeon 9000 installed.

wickfut
10-16-04, 08:48 PM
these nice men will take your card for free

http://www.solihull.gov.uk/refuse/images/image3r.jpg

sorry :)

anzak
10-16-04, 11:25 PM
It gets even better. My backup card (Radeon 9000) is giving me ugly texture flickering in CS:Source even at stock speeds.

I just don't understand why it died. Just last night I ran VST a good 30 times without a hitch while working on the driver comparison.

Omega53
10-16-04, 11:32 PM
Well if your 9800 pro is messing up too, maybe the AGP slot is going bad on the mobo? Do you have another computer to test them on?

anzak
10-16-04, 11:57 PM
Well if your 9800 pro is messing up too, maybe the AGP slot is going bad on the mobo? Do you have another computer to test them on?

I wish it was a Radeon 9800 ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer with an AGP slot. I was thinking that it might be my PSU but this Radeon 9000 uses a lot less power and im still having issues.

Omega53
10-17-04, 12:01 AM
I wish it was a Radeon 9800 ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer with an AGP slot. I was thinking that it might be my PSU but this Radeon 9000 uses a lot less power and im still having issues.

That still doesnt eliminate the PSU. Altho if both cards are having problems, I wouldnt be so quick to throw blame on your 6800. I'd see if you had a friend with a computer where you could test it on. You never know what my be causing this. There are several factors involved and its really hard to figure out what is to blame without spare parts to test it in.

StoNer
10-17-04, 02:12 AM
I had that same exact crap on my display about 2 years ago on my old Elitegroup POS mobo and a gf4mx, it ended up bieng my AGP. The mobo died shortly after.

Took the mobo out to the desert and blew the crap outta it with a 22. for bieng so weak.

:P

mustrum
10-17-04, 04:22 AM
The 9000 uses a ridiculously small amount of power so i'd say itS' not the PSU.
You really should take that 6800 GT to a friend and test it out. I'd say it's the motherboard. I hope for you that it is since a mobo isn't too expensive to replace at least.
I hope you keep us updated since many of us are scared to do the 1.4v mod after reading your results.

bkswaney
10-17-04, 09:44 AM
I had that same exact crap on my display about 2 years ago on my old Elitegroup POS mobo and a gf4mx, it ended up bieng my AGP. The mobo died shortly after.

Took the mobo out to the desert and blew the crap outta it with a 22. for bieng so weak.

I've saw the same thing on a NF2 mobo.
I switched out 2 cards with no luck.
I put in a new mobo and all was well. :)

Though it might not be your problem. Hard to say.

anzak
10-17-04, 02:15 PM
The 9000 uses a ridiculously small amount of power so i'd say itS' not the PSU.
You really should take that 6800 GT to a friend and test it out. I'd say it's the motherboard. I hope for you that it is since a mobo isn't too expensive to replace at least.
I hope you keep us updated since many of us are scared to do the 1.4v mod after reading your results.

Mustrum, Im just glad you did not accept that trade. The card has worked fine for a week and now this. It's not the PSU or the ram but I have yet to test the mobo. Later today I'll take my card over to a friends house and give it a go. I'll keep you posted.

At least I got this Radeon 9000 working. It appears there is a conflict with powerstrip, after uninstalling it everything worked fine.

anzak
10-17-04, 06:02 PM
Fixed! :D I flashed it with the original BIOS that the card shipped with and it's working great! Flashing the BIOS has cause me more trouble then it was worth. I would recommend you NOT do it.

mustrum
10-17-04, 06:15 PM
Glad you got it fixed. One thing i know. I wont mess too much with my new GT when it arrives. I'll push it as far as it can go with stock bios i guess. I'll throw a waterblock on it so i hope i can go past 400mhz. If i can't even reach 400mhz i might get weak though. :D
Btw: I got 450 for my modded VIVO.
The GT was 385.
If i loose a bit performance that's ok since it was cheaper. :D

Omega53
10-17-04, 06:17 PM
Glad you got it fixed. One thing i know. I wont mess too much with my new GT when it arrives. I'll push it as far as it can go with stock bios i guess. I'll throw a waterblock on it so i hope i can go past 400mhz. If i can't even reach 400mhz i might get weak though. :D
Btw: I got 450 for my modded VIVO.
The GT was 385.
If i loose a bit performance that's ok since it was cheaper. :D

Unless your sporting a 3400+ athlon 64 or greater you will see no difference believe me.

qballshalls2002
10-17-04, 06:19 PM

Did you really do that? Did you shot it "Office Space" style? :ORDER: :)

anzak
10-17-04, 06:29 PM
If i can't even reach 400mhz i might get weak though. :D

That's what happened to me. It would only do 390 on the core and it bugged me to death. I know it's only 10mhz and made almost no difference in performance but it's the idea that got to me. Then I flashed it with Ultra BIOS which is what started this mess. Right now my card is running at stock speeds.

Unless your sporting a 3400+ athlon 64 or greater you will see no difference believe me.

With such a huge clock speed diffrence it should be pretty noticable at high resolution with high AA and AF. OCing it to Ultra should help make up most of the lost FPS though.

Ironmanstl
10-17-04, 07:03 PM
I just edited my stock bios and bumped 3d to 1.4v,
that way there wouldn't be any incompatabilities,
perhaps try that

of course I have every step written down to perform a blind flash if need be

anzak
10-17-04, 07:15 PM
I just edited my stock bios and bumped 3d to 1.4v,
that way there wouldn't be any incompatabilities,
perhaps try that

I did try that. First I flashed it to Ultra and kept it like that for a month with no problems then flashed it back to a GT but with modded 1.4v. About 2 weeks after flashing it back to GT it started giving me trouble.

of course I have every step written down to perform a blind flash if need be

A simple way (which I have done many times) is to create a batch file with all of the commands needed to flash it back to the original BIOS then name it flash.bat. This simplifies flashing when you can't see if you have made a mistake.

mustrum
10-18-04, 05:38 AM
I think i will feel the difference. I allways play at 4xAA 16xAF.
Don't underestimate an Athlon XP @2.45Ghz. It's still going strong.
I see you use one yourself still. :)
@anzak: I read bad things about flashing Ultra bios. People report they lost max OC even after they flashed byck to GT. I don't know if this is true but i would only up the voltage of my original GT bios if at all.
Most likely i will hit 400mhz with my waterblock on it anyways.

Edit: Hmm even NU's can do 1.4volts usually. It's all the same chips. They only reach different clockrates at max. With decent cooling it should be impossible to kill the chip with 1.4volts. It's just not logical. The PCB of the GT is quite the same except the loss of the second molex. I more and more think that you have some other problem or that flashing the ULTRA bios made your card go crazy.
I read up a lot and there's so many people using 1.4v for months now and there is no trouble.

anzak
10-18-04, 10:24 AM
I think i will feel the difference. I allways play at 4xAA 16xAF.
Don't underestimate an Athlon XP @2.45Ghz. It's still going strong.
:headbang:

@anzak: I read bad things about flashing Ultra bios. People report they lost max OC even after they flashed byck to GT. I don't know if this is true but i would only up the voltage of my original GT bios if at all.
Most likely i will hit 400mhz with my waterblock on it anyways.

Yeah, if you do plan of flashing your card make sure it's a modified version of your original BIOS. Do not flash it to an Ultra or any other brand of GT. This will cause instabilities because each board is different.