PDA

View Full Version : 2 bad gainward 6800gt cards in one month??!!

Pages : [1] 2

rustywood
10-16-04, 09:46 PM
yea i know heres my story, first gainward card card was 6800gt 3 weeks went by started getting artifacts galore whe i went into on line games, then it got progressively worse over 3 days to where the card was crap,rma it back ,this time i got the golden sample it lasted 2 days and started the samething!!you gotta be kiddin i thought, must be my system checked everthing its ok,called gainward their tech tells me about tryin to ajust the screws that hold the heat sink on but cant tell how much tension or send it back to where i got it and let them do it,it seem these cards come lose and dont like vibrations "two whirling fans??!!" now the golden samples crap and going back for a evga or a bfg heres my system,
asus k8v se delx mobo
amd3400+ cpu
corsair1gb mem
thermaltake 480 psu
seagate 160gb barracuda hd
anybody else had this problem with gainward?
check this out screen shot of call of duty

mike2h
10-17-04, 12:30 AM
think a lot of suppliers have been having problems getting quality parts. know that does not help, but kinda fits what i have been seeing out there.

Saintster
10-17-04, 01:12 AM
thats ridiculous...I've posted it many times this is the worst launch of cards I'veever seen. soory this has happened to you. I also heard that there were gt so called "lite" products out there. Evga is what I have it's a good card!

JCGhz
10-17-04, 01:34 AM
I saw the same thing with my BFG, had to reduce clock speed.

rustywood
10-17-04, 02:30 AM
yea the lite cards were being put out by leadtech as 6800gt but were only regular 6800,s

MustangSVT
10-17-04, 02:58 AM
I feel sorry that you have to go through all this trouble with your card. I've been running a Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample for a little over a month now, and haven't had any problems at all.

kurt454
10-17-04, 08:39 AM
No trouble with mine either. So far.

Zulag
10-17-04, 10:56 AM
Another satisfied customer here. I have clocked mine at 420/1.200 with no problem at all.

rustywood
10-17-04, 12:31 PM
im beginnig to wonder if it isnt my pc GOD!! as much money thats in this thing only to have some high doller part go bad!its either in my psu or mobo if thast where the problem is :lame:

Danhill
10-17-04, 01:27 PM
I've been running this card for over a month now with no problem what so ever.

rustywood
10-17-04, 07:09 PM
im begining to think its my psu 480 thermaltake thinking of switching to ocz 470because its 33a onthe 12v as thermaltake is 18a from what ive found out these cards like power.

MightyMax505
10-17-04, 07:19 PM
Just one persons story with a Gainward 2400 GS "6800 GT"...... (happy ending though)

I had gotten the go ahead with getting a new system from the boss ... aka the wife.

The new system started with the video card. I ordered my video card a GainWard 2400 GS (6800 GT) to start. Other parts to follow in a week or two.

I of course installed the new 6800 card in the old system... Had to break it in. That’s when all the craziness started... I got my first freeze up only moments after logging in. Wow I thought.... I bad card? and started the trouble shooting....

After 2 different power supply’s (350 / 330 watt)
Eight or more different drivers.
Two different OS loads (XP from scratch, different HDD)
Countless flashing of the bios of the vid card
Re-tightening the heat sync mounting screws
Praying to the computer Gods for help in the early hours of the morning.
etc....

I did get it to work ... Kind of... I had to downgrade the system memory to 600 Mhz from 800, and disable fast writes and sideband addressing (with RiviaTuner). And it worked ok but still did freeze up once a day or so.

I started the RMA possess to return the card... But, I waited (RMA was good for 14 days), for the other parts to arrive. A good thing to.

Once the new parts arrived I started to replace the system board, memory, CPU, HDD's and power supply.

Started the new XP load from scratch on a RAID 0 array and I was just amazed ......... EVERYTHING worked as it should. I didn't have to tweak or disable anything. The video card went from a P.O.S. to the best video card I ever owned.

I really do think that the 6800 video cards are very picky where they want to play.

Old system:

P4 2.6 GHz (400 Mhz bus)
Gigabyte GA-8ITXE
1 GB of Rambus 800 Mhz
Antec 350 Watt PS (21 amp +12volt rail)

New system:

P4 3.2c Ghz (800 Mhz bus) "Prescott"
Asus P4C800-E Delux
2 GB of DDR 400 (PC3200)
OCZ 520 Watt PS

anzak
10-17-04, 07:22 PM
I am really beginning you question the life span of an average NV40 chip. My first BFG died and this one is acting up (which may be my fault).

rustywood
10-17-04, 07:41 PM
mt system
asus k8v se delux mobo
amd 3400+ cpu
1gb cosair mem
seagate 160gb barracuda hdd
thermaltake 480psu which has only 18a on the 12v rail as opposed the ocz 470 thats got 32a on the 12
and max your story sounds a lot like mine! ANZAK you got a thermaltake psu too??!! i think that maybe where the problem is since the 6800gt are power hungry and thermaltakes 480psu is only 18a on the 12v rail!!

rustywood
10-19-04, 08:48 AM
called the vendor i bought the cards from they told me they didnt think it was my system since the failure of the cards had to do with heating problems i.e. heatsink screws backing off and they wernt going to stock anymore gainwards 6800gt till they fixed the problem i m getting an evga card.

Knot3D
10-19-04, 01:33 PM
I am really beginning you question the life span of an average NV40 chip. My first BFG died and this one is acting up (which may be my fault).

I disagree. All the bummer cores are individual cases. There are alot of different factors :

- ppl who flash it 1.4v
- pc's which are not up to it : psu & airflow probs For G's sake ; get a 480W psu with at least 20A on the 12V line.
- some early core yield hit n misses. Hey, it's a new chip..
- different manufacturers ; why'd you go BFG 2nd time again then ? It's probably that 2nd version of theirs eh, with the tiny single slot thick cooling, or should I say heater...

Really, I got a Gainward golden sample GT and so does a friend of mine. Both our GT's idle about 40 to 45 degrees celcius and stay beneath 60 on load. Mine consistently performs rocksolid at 400/1100. Zero problems here :ORDER:

Chippy
10-19-04, 01:55 PM
im begining to think its my psu 480 thermaltake thinking of switching to ocz 470because its 33a onthe 12v as thermaltake is 18a from what ive found out these cards like power.

Well I recently switched to the Powerstream 520w PSU and I have to say its the finest PSU I have ever come across. Its quite simply astonishing in its ability to hold the voltage level. I have measured the 12v line with a digital multimeter accurate to 1/100th of a volt. The line read 12.xx Volts - I can't remember exactly what, but lets say 12.34v. Then I tested my PC - ran "toast.exe" and various stuff and watched the meter. What happened? Nothing! It didn't budge off the 12.34v number. Not even a 0.01v swing.

Quite honestly how that is possible is completely beyond me. I always test new PSU's like this when I get them and I have tried Antec, Enermax, Sparkle, Globalwin and others. They ALL sag when you load the CPU like that. The good ones only sag 0.1v or so. The bad ones (an Enermax 350w thing) just fall apart. The 5v rail on the Enermax dropped to 4.5v when I tried this!

To not budge by even 0.01v is quite extraordinary.

Chip

Kojiro
10-19-04, 04:45 PM
BFG 6800 GT rules

Drivers can cause a lot of various issues on some settups.
I have seen many.

Also viruses can cause lots of trouble too, that less experienced users tend to think it is hardware problems.

I have encountered lots of these.

Manufacturing of computer hardware is very effiecent. They also test them before they reach the manufacturer, so the posiblities of bad hardware geting to retailers is slim and the posibility for a user to get defected products more than once is even slimmer.

Subtestube
10-19-04, 05:13 PM

It seems that taxing them isn't a terribly good idea (I mean outside of normal operating specs). I'm just glad I've got a 3 yr warranty, and there's no way I'm going to jeopardise that by OCing.

rustywood
10-19-04, 09:34 PM
kojiro,i have to disagree,the company i bought my two gainwards from {one a golden sample}said that my problem,was due to the heatsink moveing away from the cpu,and not so much a power issue,even THE gainward support tech told me this! he said that they were seeing this problem and it had been reported to their r& d dept,when i asked him{ "but two cards in a row?!!} his reply was "you just unlucky" :wong:and that movment in shipping and vibration,s were causing the screws that hold the heatsink to back off, also the company i bought the cards from told me that industry wide the RMA,S on 6800 ,s was bad.and as far as gainward goes they were not going to stock anymore till they fixed the problem :nanahump:
P>S> ive be running a bfg 5500 oc,ed card for5 days stright now with NO problems so its got to be the cards or my psu both are going to be replaced!

jmclaugh
10-20-04, 03:29 PM
Am having the EXACT same corruption rusty's pic shows... in Rome: Total War, Joint Operations, and Doom 3. Card was doing 82-83c in rthdribl, tightened heatsink... does 71-72 under load now. It never reaches that temp in games, though. I had RivaTuner logging temp last time I was playing RTW and the card was only hitting the low 60s when the corruption popped up. I'm really questioning if Gainward is actually doing ANY QA whatsoever on their Golden Sample cards and not just randomly picking certain GPUs to call "golden samples"... because this sure doesn't look like a heat issue.

I've spent 2 full weeks now... hours a day... trying everything I can think of to get this card working, but it just refuses to hit 400 GPU as advertised. The RAM isn't giving me any issues, just the GPU. Check out http://forum.gainward.de/viewtopic.php?t=617 for several screens from different games and various things I've tried that have not helped.

Oh and Knot... you need to read up about 6800s and power supplies because you've obviously been misinformed.. unless you assume everyone is running 7 case fans, 4 HDDs, 2 optical drives, multiple PCI cards... you get the point.

rustywood
10-20-04, 05:13 PM
jim i also monitered the temps on my gainwards on a load they never got up past58-60 and idel at 48c ,it was crappy cards,but in looking into this if you are going to run a 6800 make sure your psu is stable my thermaltake 480w is only 18a on the 12v rail, its putting out 11.5to 11.7, ive been told to be safe you need one with as knot says 22a on the 12+ because on load it the cpu pulls it down on top of what ever your running PLUS what it takes to run the gpu on a 6800 and that oc,ing pulls more ,you figure most good brands are running at 70% efficiently anyway. its the pulling down you have to watch. this is the reason im switching to ocz they are rock solid.

jm, those guys on the euro gainward site are trying to say that the artifacting is a driver -bios problem? i havent heard that from anywhere else from any company tech of any kind.

jmclaugh
10-21-04, 02:43 PM
Well, the Gainward 6800 Ultras apparently did have some BIOS problems... I have one of the GTs, so I'm not sure exactly what the problems with the Ultras were. But I'm fairly certain my problem is not a BIOS problem (or many more people would be getting the same problem) or a driver problem.

And as far as PSUs, it REALLY depends on what you have in your system. If you don't have multiple HDDs, multiple optical drives, tons of fans... you really can get away with a GOOD 350 watt PSU. Some people have gotten away with even less in some cases. The Antec 350 watt PSU I just recently replaced never went outside the +/- 5% standard. It really just depends on the quality of the PSU and the amount of hardware you're trying to run on it.

Knot3D
10-21-04, 03:16 PM
Jmclaugh, sorry but i have not been misinformed. Alot of ppl whose psu is giving them troubles right now, bought those psu's 2 or 3 years ago when most vga cards didn't have such high psu requirements yet. Already back then those same psu's were budget brand stuff. They are regretting that budget stuff right now...

jmclaugh
10-22-04, 11:52 PM
"- pc's which are not up to it : psu & airflow probs For G's sake ; get a 480W psu with at least 20A on the 12V line."

Yes, you have been misinformed, and are propagating misinformation. The MAJORITY of people do NOT need 480W unless it's some ****ty generic brand PSU. It's trendy to tell people to get the biggest capacity PSU they can find, but the simple fact is most people do not need that many watts right now. The only argument for it is that if you do get one, you might not need to get a new one as soon as you might other wise have to... and that's assuming we're still using the same ATX standard in a few years that we're using now.