PDA

View Full Version : New UT in the works

jAkUp
10-17-04, 01:14 AM
People wondering why we did not pick UT 2004. First realize that Epic is a huge supporter of CPL. The CEO Mark Rein is a friend of mine and Cliffy B is on our advisory board.
A wide range of aspects were taken into consideration, including publisher/developer support for the entire tour. Unfortunately, Epic is transitioning to a new publisher and it was not expected that their current publisher would help us in marketing the game/tour through the end 2005. Additionally, there is a new UT in the works, but it was not going to be available in the time frame we needed.

Mark and I are still in conversations about the 2006 World Tour.

http://www.cached.net/?go=main/newsarticle/single/6511

nVidi0t
10-17-04, 08:50 AM
I wonder where they will take the UT franchise...

Edit: Except for the obvious which is into Unreal Engine 3.

Skrot
10-17-04, 09:33 AM
Hopefully they'll take it somewhere better than where it is now.

stncttr908
10-17-04, 12:02 PM
Hopefully they'll take it somewhere better than where it is now.What the heck is wrong with UT2004?

Riptide
10-17-04, 12:19 PM
What the heck is wrong with UT2004?
That's kinda what I was thinking. :confused:

msxyz
10-17-04, 01:11 PM
UT2xxx series has somewhat disappointed UT hardcore gamers. (including myself)

Now, UT2004 is still quite a fun game (mainly due to the new Onslaught concept) but DM and CTF gameplay sucks compared to the good ol' UT.
I guess this is what you get when you try to recycle the same concept for both a console FPS (Unreal Championship) and a PC one.

UT was perfect. All it needed after 3 years on the edge was an updated graphic engine and maybe a new game type, team oriented. We got a new game-type one year later and after the UT2003 controversial release. But the many gameplay flaws of UT2003 were left unadressed.

ynnek
10-17-04, 03:08 PM
LMAO. Every game always gets this kind of criticism on their next release..

The previous xxx version of this game was perfect in gameplay, all they need was blah blah blah.

And I personally love the DM in UT2k4.

UT was perfect. All it needed after 3 years on the edge was an updated graphic engine and maybe a new game type, team oriented. We got a new game-type one year later and after the UT2003 controversial release. But the many gameplay flaws of UT2003 were left unadressed.

aAv7
10-17-04, 03:38 PM
UT2xxx series has somewhat disappointed UT hardcore gamers. (including myself)

Now, UT2004 is still quite a fun game (mainly due to the new Onslaught concept) but DM and CTF gameplay sucks compared to the good ol' UT.
I guess this is what you get when you try to recycle the same concept for both a console FPS (Unreal Championship) and a PC one.

Man I dunno about all that. I absolutely love UT99, I even posted iin a thread here, going as far as saying it's the best game i've played on pc. Having said that, I still loved 2K3 and am loving 2K4. Yes, 2K3 took a more "Quake 3" approach where it was less skill and more lucky shots, but regardless, it was still fun.

2K4 is hands down so far, the best game of the year. Assualt and Onsalught modes alone make it awesome, but add in the fact that deathmatch and ctf have been improved and brought back to the gameplay of the original. They slowed the game pacing down, brought back older weapons like the sniper rifle, but also kept a bit of the 2k3 feel sprinkled over it all. I dunno how anyone can not love something about 2K4. You get a great game out of the box, there's at least 10 total conversion mods out there for it, roughly a thousand modded maps for all game types, bonus packs, tons of voice packs and skins a huge community and beautiful graphics, it might not be far cry, but the 2.5 engine has tons of detail and really shows how far dx8 can go.( If you need further convincing check out tribes vengance which also uses the engine and makes beautiful work of it) All that and it was only $29.99. GOTY in my book. Unless HL2 ships and meets half the hype thrown at it.

WeReWoLf
10-17-04, 04:01 PM
alright. 2003 kinda sucked ass, but 2004 was extremely good. I prefer deathmatch over Onslaught anyday.

aAv7
10-17-04, 04:30 PM
instagib pwns you all. =)

adv1
10-17-04, 05:13 PM
I loved UT, but I was disappointed with UT2003 and hardly played it. Thanks mainly to its vehicle gamemodes UT2004 on the other hand has become my most-played game of this year.

But that said, personally I'm happy to wait a couple of years for a proper sequel than just another update. Though other than the obvious graphics updates I can't see how much further they can go with the 'Tournament' idea and the basic DM/CTF gametypes now, so maybe instead they might move on to the 'warfare' idea with some larger, more involved game modes with teams, objectives, bases, vehicles etc.

Skrot
10-18-04, 12:02 AM
What is wrong with UT? It's just bland. Some of the gametypes in UT2004 are fun, like Onslaught and Assault, but the base game needs a serious reworking. To see an FPS game at it's current best, see this: http://www.planetquake3.net/download.php?op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=2123 (360MB movie).

wshadow
10-18-04, 12:20 AM
I liked unreal tournament 1...they need to take a break tho, 2k3 2k4, come on at least 2 years :) :bash:

(Hey ultimate u still interested in that case...i havent recieved anything yet...)

msxyz
10-18-04, 02:45 AM
It seems that we're not going to see a new UT very soon:
http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=7085

nVidi0t
10-21-04, 02:31 PM
Yes, 2K3 took a more "Quake 3" approach where it was less skill and more lucky shots

MAN, PUT THE CRACK PIPE DOWN!

ragejg
10-21-04, 02:52 PM
(crazy)

what's this about a crack pipe?