PDA

View Full Version : Asus V9999 6800 Ultra Deluxe Freezing!

AssyrianKing
10-17-04, 08:50 AM
my card has been freezing all the time in games and 3dmark03/05.
I have been trying to solve the problem for a month now....

Ive tried everything i can think of, i havent done a bios flash, if anyone has ideas or a guide telling me exactly what bios i need for this card and a step by step guide on how to flash it. Thnx!

bkswaney
10-17-04, 08:53 AM
What r your system specs?

Have you updated your motherboard, AGP
and system drivers?

tragic
10-17-04, 09:49 AM
I bought the Asus v9999 Ultra deluxe as well, and experienced much the same problems as yourself.

There are a few remedies out there, but the one that actually worked for me and stopped all freezing and really enjoyable gameplay, came from HERE (http://www.weckstrom.com/index.php?itemid=348)

Another, can be found HERE (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17261579&highlight=6800u+BIOS)

Just follow the instructions there and you should be good to go..

ATI_Dude
10-17-04, 02:38 PM
my card has been freezing all the time in games and 3dmark03/05.
I have been trying to solve the problem for a month now....

Ive tried everything i can think of, i havent done a bios flash, if anyone has ideas or a guide telling me exactly what bios i need for this card and a step by step guide on how to flash it. Thnx!

Before you engange in risky bios flashing try disabling "AGP Fast Writes" in your motherboard bios. This MAY reduce perfoemance a little in certain situations, but it should make your system more stable and allow for some overclocking.

For what it's worth disabling AGP fast writes allowed me to overclock from stock 400/1100 to 425/1150 without any problems. With fast writes on I cannot even raise the VPU clock speed 1 MHz before the system freezes/pauses.

Master Champion
10-17-04, 03:43 PM
I had also Freezes with my V9999 Ultra, it happened when the core reached 85 in 3D Mod. I just set the 2D clock up to 425 MHz (like the 3D), this solved the problem for me.

tragic
10-17-04, 05:15 PM
I had also Freezes with my V9999 Ultra, it happened when the core reached 85 in 3D Mod. I just set the 2D clock up to 425 MHz (like the 3D), this solved the problem for me.

Thats exactly what i did and had no further problems.

yuriz43
10-17-04, 05:23 PM
There is also a problem with SmartDoctor that can cause graphical problems.... Do any of you with the v9999 ultra use SmartDoctor?

I have a v9999 GE and I would sometimes get this bug where I would be playing a game and then suddenly my screens resolution would get all messed up and all I could see is the upper left of the screen... Some Really weird ****!... anyways, I found out that it was SmartDocotr!!! DO not use it!

Pod_1
10-17-04, 08:50 PM
Well I have Asus V9999 Ultra Delux and I have/had many of these freezing problems and the only time the card works right is if I do the following:
1) Make sure no Asus software is installed (ie. drivers or SmartDoctor)
2) Install the official Nvidia drivers 61.77
3) Install coolbits (not sure what version)
4) Set the 2D clock up to 425MHz like the 3D
5) Oh yea I also got 500 watt power supply.

So far this is the only combination that gives me a stable system that works with all the programs I use (so mileage will very). Other drivers seem to have different problems with various programs :retard: .

Pod_1

AssyrianKing
10-17-04, 09:04 PM
ok my sys specs are:

Asus A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi
Asus V9999 6800 ultra deluxe
OCZ PC3700 EB DC Platinum 2x512
OCZ 520Watt Ultra Quiet Powerstream

ive tried disabling fastwrites, and ive tried the 2d/3d clocks, and tried upping my AGP to 1.6 volts from 1.5, tried coolbits 1 and 2, tried bout 10 diff drivers including 61.77. My last resort is the bios flash which ill do when i get home today. after that im gonna return it which i kno they wont take back... hopefully theyl see the problem and SHIOULD replace it atleast with another one hopefully a leadtek one i want coz of better cooling, or i might just go ati x800 xt

Clevor
10-17-04, 09:14 PM
I don't have the Asus deluxe but the standard Ultra with reference board design (huge two-slot sink). I have never had the freezing problem on several boards, from an 800 fsb P4 to an AMD rig to an ole RDRAM rig. The stutters in Far Cry and Doom3 can be relieved with 2 GB ram.

I don't install anything off the Asus CD since nothing would install anyway, so I have to run the Nvidia drivers. I use Coolbit to overclock.

Pod_1
10-17-04, 11:21 PM
AssyrianKing,

here are few other things to try, most likely you done them all ready
1) use driver cleaner to remove all video drivers,
2) re-install the latest VIA (AGP) drivers (I think you got VIA), not sure how this works, you might need to uninstall them first
3) re-install latest directX,
4) open the case and aim a fan at it and see if that helps (you might have a heat issue).

And if nothing helps then either get the card replaced, exchange for another brand or go for ATI if you are able to.
For me this is the firs NV card and I got to say that so far I find it very temperamental, till now I was only 3DFX and ATI user.

Good luck,
Pod_1

Slammin
10-18-04, 06:02 AM
I don't know if it's the same problem but my BFG would freeze for 5 to 10 seconds, but only when playing IL-2 FB/AEP online. I remember laughing at a post of someone who insisted that their BFG card was causing him to get kicked out of servers! Sure enough, after getting mine, I was also getting kicked out of servers for ping timeouts!

The problem was definitely heat related because the pauses stopped if I would run with my case open. I resolved this issue by replacing the stock hsf with an NV5.

dwegner
10-18-04, 08:07 AM
1) Make sure no Asus software is installed (ie. drivers or SmartDoctor)
2) Install the official Nvidia drivers 61.77
3) Install coolbits (not sure what version)
4) Set the 2D clock up to 425MHz like the 3D
5) Oh yea I also got 500 watt power supply.

I have the same card as well, could not get it to complete a run trhu of 3d mark ect. I did exactly the above (except used coolbits 3D) & disabled fast writes. I have a 550w psu.

runs like a dream now.

For what it is worth I have been in contact with Asus and they advised me that their R&D guys in Taiwan were working on a new bios for the card but could not give a time of release.

I have also heard of people using the Rev2 Nvidia 6800 Ultra bios to fix this issue as well.

I have NVflash 4.42 and the Nvidia Rev2 bios...mail me and I will gladly send it your way if you wish.

dwegner@internode.on.net

AssyrianKing
10-18-04, 04:14 PM
ive tried every lil thing u can think of! i came to a resolution yesterday when i flashed bios using the same original bios it has on it but i just changed both 2d and 3d clocks inside the bios to 425/1100 . i flashed and then ran 10 runs each of all game tests on 3d mark 03, and it didnt freeeeeezee!!!! :):), before it would NEVER pass all tests without a freeze atleaset. To be sure i also ran a couple of 3dmark05 which ran fine and tried a game which cause freezing usually when i throw smoke gren, but doesnt freeze now. i also OC to 455/1150 and 3dmark03 accepts it fine without any artifacts but i see artifacts in 05 but at around 440/1150 theres really no artifacts in 05 but i think if i dont see artifacts in 03 and games at 455/1150 i should be fine. Also my temps have dropped even with the exact same bios and im running constant 425 now even at 455 i dont pass 79 load and im on round 58 idle....:) im happy. now i cant wait to get NV5 and do some better clocks.