PDA

View Full Version : XFX 6800 128mb and agp 4x

Zizi
10-17-04, 12:30 PM
I've contacted 2 different retailers and both said it won't work properly on my agp 4x motherboard (Asus P4B533-M).
Anyone have any experience with this? Checking xfxforce.com and nvidia.com wasn't much help, as they only listed agp 8x and it was under 'features', though the xfx site did list agp 2.0 as a requirement (which should include agp 4x under its belt, aswell).
What makes me especially worried is the 'if it doesn't work on your computer that's your problem' attitude (not really attitude those were his exact words...) I got from one of the retailers, considering the huge lack of competitive prices in this country, it's either I accept this attitude or pay a lot (up to 30% in some thieving excuses of would be retailers) more.
Should I bother with this card? I really should leave this pissant of a country already. :(

EciDemon
10-17-04, 12:39 PM
Check your mobo manual for Agp specifications. From there you could tell if its supported or not

Zizi
10-17-04, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, here are the specs for my mobo:
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4B533-M&langs=09
It doesn't specify much of anything (and the manual is the same), but 1.5v = agp 2.0 I believe, so it should by all means be compatible, right?
I had another long arguement with the especially rude retailer, he insists a lot of new generation cards have problem on agp 4x boards, but he doesn't specify as to why (since he doesn't know why).

Could anyone with some experience or better yet a similar motherboard please shed some light on this?
I'm not going to buy a card just to have to buy a new motherboard with it, quite frankly video cards pricing has been a joke for years now and it only gets worse.

So sayeth the fed up 'little person'. :(

monly
10-17-04, 12:52 PM
That link you have posted says 4x....so you cant have 8x

watever
10-17-04, 01:09 PM
i have a 4x agp and a bfg 6800 gt.. it runs really good.. u should have no problems with the card... the 6800 can run on a 4x agp... as of right now i dont think it will limit ur performance that much with games or benchmarks... i get 11,000 on 3dmark03 and 5000 on 05..

r2d2d3d4d5
10-17-04, 02:12 PM
It sounds like it should work. Can you try it on a friend's AGP3.0 PC? If it doesn't work on his then you will have a better idea as to whether the card is broken.

In what way is the card not working properly?

Zizi
10-17-04, 02:17 PM
I haven't bought a card yet, the retailers claim it won't work properly and say that they won't take it back if it doesn't work properly on my system because of it or something similar (assuming the card is fine of course).

kahloq
10-17-04, 02:22 PM
I would avoid a retailer that wont take it back. I bought a 6800GT for my wifes computer, but while I was building the new setup, I put the GT in a DELL 1.7p4 that supports agp 4x and NOT 8x and the card ran just fine. Nvidia's card will run on whatever agp version is supported by the motherboard.

r2d2d3d4d5
10-17-04, 02:33 PM
I haven't bought a card yet, the retailers claim it won't work properly and say that they won't take it back if it doesn't work properly on my system because of it or something similar (assuming the card is fine of course).Oh.

Well, all I can say with any certainty is that my MSI6800 card works on my AGP2.0 motherboard. But like the retailer said not all AGP3.0 cards are compatible with AGP2.0 slots. However, given that your card says that it is then you will have a good chance that it will work. Probably best to email XFX support before you buy though. It will save you a lot of hassle me thinks.

EciDemon
10-17-04, 02:42 PM
The important thing is that you dont have the old 3volt agp standard, cos then it wont work,

By the looks of it, it should run just fine :)

Zizi
10-17-04, 03:03 PM
Thanks a lot for the help guys, I'll go email the xfx peeps.

tvlad
10-17-04, 03:45 PM
Really, it should work just fine, i see no reason for AGP 4X to prevent the card from running, i'd say don't worry.