PDA

View Full Version : Word to the wise

Slammin
10-17-04, 03:27 PM
Unless you are playing the game called 3D-Mark, over-volting yout GT is a bad idea. Yes, of course you can OC farther with 1.4v, and yes, you can get higher 3DMark scores, but for everyday use, I'd strongly advise against upping the 2D or 3D voltage, and instead you invest on better cooling.

The only reason I ventured is because I was experiencing 10 second freezes in certain games. Upping the 3D to 1.4 cure that, but as a side effect, made me want to OC even more! Well, as it turns out, yes, I can select higher clock rates at 1.4v, but stability goes out the window.

My advice, and MY solution was to get an NV5, and put more trust into that 'Detect optimal frequency' button.

Really, the difference in-game between 440x1.18 and 400x1.10 are about 3 fps. I can only do 440x1.18 with the 1.4v mod and even then, it is not stable enough for everyday use, but great for 3Dmark05.

Further, and I'm sure some here can substantiate (sp), but the volt mod does appear to damage your card; so does most oc'ing, but much faster!

I saw the signs early I think and I backed off to 1.3 and a very nominal OC.

Right now, 400x1.0 and 100% stable with stock bios.

Screw that 1.4v, though, if I start seeing the 10 sec delays once Pacific Fighters comes out, I will probably have to either go to 1.4v, or get better case cooling.

Bottom line: I don't think the GT's are designed for 1.4v

qballshalls2002
10-17-04, 03:38 PM
I agree on your posts and what you state. I learned the hardway with my 9700pro that I spent over $350 when it came out. I had it extremely overclocked for over a year and a half, and then my investment died out one day. I knew what I was doing, but I guess my luck caught up with me. It's also a slap in the face when you don't have a warrenty when stuff like that happens.

Recently I just bought a 6800GT OC about 2 days ago and Im watching my oc clocks like money on a bank statement and also Im limiting my oc speeds.

john19055
10-17-04, 04:38 PM
You are always takeing a chance when overclocking and volt mods ,sometimes it works out great and sometimes you have a pricey papper weight.

Slammin
10-17-04, 05:22 PM
Problem is, with the BFG later model that comes with the dual fans, the only way to get rid of the 10 second pauses is either by volt modding, or going to an NV5.

Either works. But, once you discover the new OC's you can reach after volt modding, you also run into the reason these cards and ram were sold as GT's instead of Ultras.

At stock bios/voltage, most GT's will do Ultra speeds from all I see here. The only way to go beyond is to volt mod though, and this is where I saw serious stability issues. Serious enough to make me go back to default bios.

Other threads here confirm that there are serious consequences to upping the voltages on your GT. What I can tell you for certain is that; With stock BFG GT OC cooling, I get 10 second pauses. With NV5, the pauses went away. This is at default clocks. Adding the NV5 does allow me to up both gpu and memory clocks and reman stable.

And again, to solidify my concern, I would ask you to run rthdribl for like 20 minutes to warm up your card and then, immediately after exiting rthdrobl, click on the detect optimum button. What you get at this point should indicate what will be most stable.

Anyway, I think the volt mod does have merit since it lets me post some pretty awesome 3DMark05 scores, but I can also tell that pushing things this hard is not a good idea.

noko
10-17-04, 05:29 PM
1.4v :D, all the way. Keep it cool and game away :). Since the NV40 core was design for 1.4v I don't think too much damage will result unless it over heats or you OC way beyond what is stable. My Raddy (9700Pro has been over volted for about two years now, still running strong). I usually OC it only when I need it and for the Raddy I only use the voltage needed since I can adjust all four voltages external to my case. My GF3Ti200 ran for over 6 months mem and core volted 24/7 overclocked faster then a Ti500 and it is still good today (no way to adjust the voltage once the resistors where soldered on the card). Probably the best overclocker I've ever bought and toughest card to boot. Soon it will be sold :(.

Slammin
10-17-04, 06:14 PM
And what do you gain? 3-4 fps in games? Sure, you get big 3Dmark points, but real world, you gain very little, other than instability.

I'm very fond of OC'ing and run my P4-2.8@3.5 250 fsb all day, but it is stable. I cannot get a stable 1.4v OC that will give me more than 3 fps over what a stable stock 1.3 OC will get, at least on my rig. Working word is STABLE.

I hate crashes. Period. Regardless of how infrequent.

I can go very stable and w/o the (I think heat related) pauses at 410x1.1@1.3v (stock bios). Note that i could not do this before I added the NV5 though. I could have increased case cooling to get there but I want to keep the case quiet.

Ironmanstl
10-17-04, 06:18 PM
Problem is, with the BFG later model that comes with the dual fans, the only way to get rid of the 10 second pauses is either by volt modding, or going to an NV5.

I have the bfg6800gt oc with the dual fans, never experienced any pauses in any game, let alone a 10 second one, I am thinking you had other hardware issues before you started on your volt mod, NV5 journey

bkswaney
10-17-04, 06:34 PM
I have the bfg6800gt oc with the dual fans, never experienced any pauses in any game, let alone a 10 second one, I am thinking you had other hardware issues before you started on your volt mod, NV5 journey

I agree even when I had the factory dual fans I
never had any problems.

qballshalls2002
10-17-04, 06:46 PM
I agree even when I had the factory dual fans I
never had any problems.

I got the dual also. No problems. My max on stock is 400/1.5ghz

SquireSCA
10-17-04, 06:47 PM
Unless you are playing the game called 3D-Mark, over-volting yout GT is a bad idea. Yes, of course you can OC farther with 1.4v, and yes, you can get higher 3DMark scores, but for everyday use, I'd strongly advise against upping the 2D or 3D voltage, and instead you invest on better cooling.

The only reason I ventured is because I was experiencing 10 second freezes in certain games. Upping the 3D to 1.4 cure that, but as a side effect, made me want to OC even more! Well, as it turns out, yes, I can select higher clock rates at 1.4v, but stability goes out the window.

My advice, and MY solution was to get an NV5, and put more trust into that 'Detect optimal frequency' button.

Really, the difference in-game between 440x1.18 and 400x1.10 are about 3 fps. I can only do 440x1.18 with the 1.4v mod and even then, it is not stable enough for everyday use, but great for 3Dmark05.

Further, and I'm sure some here can substantiate (sp), but the volt mod does appear to damage your card; so does most oc'ing, but much faster!

Screw that 1.4v, though, if I start seeing the 10 sec delays once Pacific Fighters comes out, I will probably have to either go to 1.4v, or get better case cooling.

A friend of mine did not do the volt mod and fried his card from running it too high.

A 3Dmark score means nothing. It isn;t a game, it can be tweaked and cheated on, and 300 points either way might be a single frame in a game, which when you are at 71fps, that extra 1fps is not worth trashing your $400 card.

saturnotaku
10-17-04, 07:27 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

john19055
10-17-04, 09:22 PM
But there are some people that treat the benchmark as a game because you like to see how high you can go,if it did'nt matter there would'nt be people water cooling or more extreme measures to cool there CPU and video card just to see how high they can go.And in some games getting that extra 3FPS makes a lots of difference. and if they are willing to take the chances then it's there problem if something go's wrong, I don't see nothing wrong with it as long as you have the money to play,but don't complain when something go's wrong.IMO

bkswaney
10-17-04, 10:27 PM
I just enjoy overclocking systems myself.
It helps me relax. :rofl:

I overclock to save money and get best performance.
I'm into the bang for the buck.

But if you are worried about trashing parts
out DO NOT OC.
As for as these 6800's goes just buy a BFG or Gainward
if you want the fastest out of box performance. :)

Lindy
10-18-04, 01:37 AM

Or just dont overclock. My overclocking days are gone. I dont play bench marks anymore and when you get right down to it, 99% of the time you wont notice it deeply engrosed in your favorite game.

Intel 3.4E 800FSB /Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu
Intel D875PBZ
1gig of Crucial DDR400
PNY 6800 GT /NV5
Audigy 2
Cuda 7200.7 Plus
View Sonic VX900
XP-Pro /SP2

CaptNKILL
10-18-04, 02:28 AM
I must have just gotten lucky (really really lucky considering the price)...

Im running 415\1.15 with stock cooling, stock voltages, stock BIOS and no stability problems or artifacts on my BFG 6800 GT OC (original, single fan cooler).

I have no intentions of ever modding this card. If I could get another 150Mhz out of the core, then sure... but that isnt possible, so why bother? It was fun tweaking for 3dmark for about a week, but theres no way am I going to risk my card's stability and warranty by modding it to get a higher score. No. Way.

bkswaney
10-18-04, 05:16 AM
I must have just gotten lucky (really really lucky considering the price)...

Im running 415\1.15 with stock cooling, stock voltages, stock BIOS and no stability problems or artifacts on my BFG 6800 GT OC (original, single fan cooler).

I have no intentions of ever modding this card. If I could get another 150Mhz out of the core, then sure... but that isnt possible, so why bother? It was fun tweaking for 3dmark for about a week, but theres no way am I going to risk my card's stability and warranty by modding it to get a higher score. No. Way.

Your BFG GT and mine are right in line with each other.
415/1.15 is where mine is the most happy.
Even with 20 degree lower temps now mine still
loves the 415/1.15 clocks the best.

I'm not going to volt mod mine or anything.
I'm quiet happy with my clocks. :D
I'm in the 13k 3DM03 range with a P4 so
I have got to be happy. ;)