PDA

View Full Version : Attention Asus v9999 GE/Ultra owners.

yuriz43
10-17-04, 08:15 PM
Hello.

Sorry to make another thread about this, but recently I discovered the cause of my videocard problems, and would like to address the cause of these problems(Asus SmartDoctor software which is our only option if we wan't to monitor our GPU temp, use Smartcooling, or check Corevoltage etc.....).

"occasionally the video flips out, and leaves me looking at a very small section of the upper left screen, horribly distorted, and filling the monitor."
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11455273~mode=flat

This is the exact problem I have been having.. Although I would describe it as the screen resolution changing to an extremely low resolution hence me seeing a corner of my screen. Distorted would be a better way to describe it.

This happens when I have the Asus SmartDoctor running minimised or not.
This happens at normal clock speeds. Not an OC issue.

The solution to this is uninstalling the Asus SmartDoctor software and using RivaTuner if you wan't to Overclock.

BUT

"ASUS modified either the location of thermodes or the thermodes themselves, because neither NVIDIA drivers nor RivaTuner can monitor video card's operating temperature. The only help here is the SmartDoctor utility from ASUS:" http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv40-7.html

So I would like to see how many v9999 GE, or v9999 Ultra Owners have experieced similar problems with their card. I would also like to ask if there would ever be the possibility to have 3rd party software with the ability to monitor the temp on these card, and if not, hopefully with enough input Asus will fix the SmartDoctor Software( prolly won't happen but worth a try).

Thanks.
:rolleyes:

mustang067
10-17-04, 09:04 PM
Are you using the version from the CD? I was and would do the same thing. Then I got version 4.52 from Asus' web site and havent had any problems. But after seeing how many cpu cycles it eats I don't run it all the time, just to check temps.

bkswaney
10-17-04, 09:15 PM
SD just SUXS!
I hated it when I had my Asus 5900u.

It screwed me up more than once.
Asus writes sh!ty software.

yuriz43
10-17-04, 09:46 PM
Are you using the version from the CD? I was and would do the same thing. Then I got version 4.52 from Asus' web site and havent had any problems.

Yes, this happens with ALL versions of the SD software.

But after seeing how many cpu cycles it eats I don't run it all the time, just to check temps.

You shouldn't get the problem if the SmartDoctor app is not running. Although I am not 100% sure on this, but everytime I can remember it happening it was either open or minimised.

bkswaney
10-17-04, 09:49 PM

You shouldn't get the problem if the SmartDoctor app is not running. Although I am not 100% sure on this, but everytime I can remember it happening it was either open or minimised.

u r correct.
Just uninstall it and use regular nvidia drivers.

mustang067
10-17-04, 09:57 PM

Right. What happened was I used the SD from the disc when I got my GE and had those problems. Then I got my new hard drive and tried the version from the web site. Ran it for a few weeks and had no problems playing the same games I was gettting problems with. Then shut it off when the new RivaTuner came out, and because of the CPU thing.

Spikx
10-31-05, 08:06 AM
Same Problem here with a V9999... after starting SmartDoctor the screen get's this weird. Never seen that before.
I'm using latest ASUS video drivers (based on ForceWare 78.x, also installed the so called 'enhanced driver') and I tried the latest SmartDoctor version (4.78)... still got the Problem.
Also RivaTuner seems to have no effect on the fan speed. But SpeedFan does.
Unfortunately most of the time, SpeedFan doesn't get the correct core temperature value from the sensor (constantly 51C, should be around 60 to 65 Celsius, that's what SmartDoctor showed). It would get the correct values, if SmartDoctor has been started at least one time, but then you get the weird screen again :(

So is there really no solution for this?

Demon_82
10-31-05, 11:07 AM
User of a v9999GT/TD, I can tell that the image size matters finished when I ended testing all the versions of SmartDoctor and Enhaced Driver, and I left alone the nVidia reference driver. And Speedfan... well, it shows lower temperatures than Smartdoctor, but it can be perfectly possible, as Speedfan doesn't plays with the speed of the fan stopping it at random and this stuff I suffered also.

Spikx
11-01-05, 02:53 AM
fyi http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.aspx?catid=74&threadid=67200&forumid=1