PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my 6800 tv out

ekloot1978
10-17-04, 10:05 PM
Hi,
I am having some trouble with the tv out on my pny geforce 6800 non-ultra card. I think it might actually be my setup between the computer and tv but I was looking for any thoughts that anyone might have. Basically I am using the regular tv out port on the card (not the DVI port) and I'm running it to my VCR input and the VCR is of course connected to the tv (my tv doesn't have RCA jacks). The problem I'm having is that when I'm in clone mode, the brightness on my tv slowly goes up and down all the time. It doesn't go up and down a ton but it is enough to be annoying. At the same time on my regular computer monitor everything is fine. Now I think my problem might be in the cable between my video card and VCR since it is just a regular AUDIO RCA cable so it really isn't meant for video and I think the quality of this cable might suck. If anyone can confirm this or shed some light on my problem I'd greatly appreciate it.

bkswaney
10-17-04, 10:22 PM
Hi,
I am having some trouble with the tv out on my pny geforce 6800 non-ultra card. I think it might actually be my setup between the computer and tv but I was looking for any thoughts that anyone might have. Basically I am using the regular tv out port on the card (not the DVI port) and I'm running it to my VCR input and the VCR is of course connected to the tv (my tv doesn't have RCA jacks). The problem I'm having is that when I'm in clone mode, the brightness on my tv slowly goes up and down all the time. It doesn't go up and down a ton but it is enough to be annoying. At the same time on my regular computer monitor everything is fine. Now I think my problem might be in the cable between my video card and VCR since it is just a regular AUDIO RCA cable so it really isn't meant for video and I think the quality of this cable might suck. If anyone can confirm this or shed some light on my problem I'd greatly appreciate it.

The problem is the VCR.
I've seen this many times before.
Go to the TV and I bet it's gone. ;)

MarkTO
10-17-04, 10:33 PM
I think what you may be seeing is Macrovision protection being triggered on the VCR by the video card. It is there so that you can't do something like play a DVD on your computer and record a good copy of it on your VCR. I thought the card would only send a macrovision enabled signal when it is playing back copyrighted material but it seems to be sending it all the time. Older drivers and cards did not do this but all the new ones do. There may be a way to disable it (try googling around).

Another way to do what you want is to buy a cheap modulator from Radio Shack or even cheaper on ebay. Radio Shack model 15-2525 is a good one that even does stereo sound. The modulator will change the video/audio from your computer to cable channel 3 or 4 (more expensive types can do any channel). The bonus of doing it this way is that you do not have to have your computer anywhere near the TV if you buy a long coax cable.

Good luck.

ekloot1978
10-17-04, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try using that modulator then I should be able to run straight into the tv without going through the vcr...since the tv has only a coax hookup and not RCA ones :(