PDA

View Full Version : %n bug needs to be fixed

Omega53
10-17-04, 11:54 PM
Apparently if you change your name to %n and get killed or kill yourself it crashes the whole server. Everyone needs to report this to valve so they can get this fixed asap. Apparently people just have to connect to a server, type "name %n" in the console then type "kill" and the server crashes. This is really pissing me off that Valve has all these bugs in a "final" game. I think they shouldve left the Beta tag on a little longer.

GlowStick
10-17-04, 11:55 PM
Hm, that recnetly happend to me in a server
i noticed some guy changed his name to %n, then in a min or so everyones client crashed. heh. never connected it though untill now.

Edge
10-18-04, 12:35 AM
LOL! God...that's so sad...and did anyone else read the title of this thead and think that "%n" was just an abreviation of "f-ing"?

And yeah, CS:S is still kinda buggy, does seem like they haven't quite hammered out all the bugs yet. I think they should've kept the Beta tag on the game until HL2 is released, and then offer a "release" version of it. Oh well, given the severity of the bug they'll probably fix it pretty fast.

Did they ever fix it so that people can't play online with warez copies of the game? Or are there still people running around who just downloaded and cracked the game?

kev13dd
10-18-04, 12:44 AM
Still running the warez. I even saw servers with the warez tags on them

K

|JuiceZ|
10-18-04, 12:54 AM
haha, gonna have to try that :naughty:

WeReWoLf
10-18-04, 12:55 AM
dammit... are the steam sysadmins stupid or something?

Edge
10-18-04, 02:01 AM
haha, gonna have to try that :naughty:

Which one, the crashing servers, or the playing with the warez version ;)

|JuiceZ|
10-18-04, 08:47 AM
Which one, the crashing servers, or the playing with the warez version ;)

Where’s the phun in playing w/ warez vers when you have a voucher? I just wanna see if it’ll crash a server :p

BioHazZarD
10-18-04, 11:38 AM
damn almost every server there is this noob called %n, in 1 game someone said dont kill him or the entire server will crash of course he killed him and poof instant crash to desktop :(

Omega53
10-18-04, 03:05 PM
damn almost every server there is this noob called %n, in 1 game someone said dont kill him or the entire server will crash of course he killed him and poof instant crash to desktop :(

Hmm I said that then someone killed me :bleh:

cam9786
10-18-04, 10:19 PM
Dont JuiceZ. MANY people have had their ISP shut down their internet/cable because of this. You can do an arin WHOIS and see who it is, send the log to the ISP, thell call it a DoS attack and shut it down. Has happened to MANY people. Do not recommend.

kev13dd
10-18-04, 11:13 PM
Dont JuiceZ. MANY people have had their ISP shut down their internet/cable because of this. You can do an arin WHOIS and see who it is, send the log to the ISP, thell call it a DoS attack and shut it down. Has happened to MANY people. Do not recommend.

How? It's not killing the server is it? It's just crashing everyone in it. And not even crashing crashing. Just ending their game. Not hurting anything like a DoS attack

K

cam9786
10-18-04, 11:16 PM
^^ That argument was brought up many times, but they still shut it down, because they want to enforce like mad. I know it just kicks players, but it still ruins the experience. Doesnt ****ing matter anyway, what the ISP says, goes. So, if there shutting down service for it, simple, don't do it :)

kev13dd
10-18-04, 11:44 PM
Ha ha ISP wouldn't shut down service for it. They'd lose money and customers. Who's ganna wanna go with an ISP that shuts down their customers for stuff? No no, I doubt most any ISP will shut down a customer cause of this. Show me a link or a source before I buy it

K

|JuiceZ|
10-19-04, 08:47 AM
I've played several rounds since then & haven't used it. Might just setup a dedicated srv to test it out. Think its highly improbable though for an ISP to shutdown your service purely because you crashed someone game server though.

steamedrice
10-19-04, 03:15 PM
no kidding, isp provider will not remove a customer because your game crashed due to a game bug that crashes the client and not the server.

majortom
10-19-04, 03:38 PM
LOL. thats hilarious.

wshadow
10-19-04, 05:24 PM
this happened to me this morning, i was OWNING(12 and 0) in like the 3rd round and some noob loser(gangsta 909 something) changed his name cause i said he sucked, then my computer hard froze, had to reboot

cam9786
10-19-04, 05:40 PM
As retarded as it may sound, it HAS happened. Just don't do it.

kev13dd
10-19-04, 05:44 PM
How do you know it "HAS" happened? You are just saying that to prevent people from doing it. Which this entire thread is already meant to do

K

SigmaOrionis
10-20-04, 06:12 PM
Thanks to this thread there are probably like 300 new people that did not know about this. Wonder how many of them will try it?

GamerGuyX
10-20-04, 06:26 PM
Thanks to this thread there are probably like 300 new people that did not know about this. Wonder how many of them will try it?

According to THIS (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39039) thread the %n bug has been fixed.

SigmaOrionis
10-20-04, 09:20 PM
Thats good to hear.

According to THIS (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39039) thread the %n bug has been fixed.